• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lesson Learnt. Rod Posting

I’ve been fortunate over the years to buy and sell a few rods, mainly thru’ BFW forum, but because of the amount of business travel I did before covid and retirement I nearly always arranged a meeting or delivered/collected in person with one exception coming to mind when Joe Winstanley (where are you Joe you’ve not posted in a while ) bought a pair of rods off me for his lads. Joe arranged his own courier, DPD, to collect and all went well. I rolled the rods “top to tail” in bubble wrap so as they fitted snug inside of a thick walled carpet roll core which was just over 6ft long. Driver collected with no question of the length and Joe reported the safe arrival a day or so later….perhaps we just got lucky but the tales of woe and my own leaning to caution is stopping me trying to sell a pair of Fox X4 2.75’s I have. If anyone knows of anyone who might be interested I travelling up to The Trent near Newark next week and will be in Milton Keynes for The Tenchfishers SGM in early April. Happy to pt them in the car! 😉

I have sent many rods to destinations in the UK and around the world , none were damaged and only one was' lost '. Contrary to others experience I find UPS very good, albeit expensive . The prices however are a rip off .One courier I would avoid are Yell , I once watched one of their employees re arranging his load in a lay by , half his load was strewn across the ground and he was re loading by literally chucking things back in the van .

Trouble is Mike, if they damage it you get nothing, and still charge you for the experience.

I have exchanged 9 emails with UPS up till now.

Question after question, the last one asking if the receiver still has the packaging!

My reply. This is his phone number..xxxxxx

You said you would collect it next day after delivery. You didn't.

Reply. We are not allowed to phone out from the office!!

I enjoy a battle, although accept that it will end with me contacting WATCHDOG ON BBC as I proposed unless it's sorted out.

Dog with a bone me.

I’ve been fortunate over the years to buy and sell a few rods, mainly thru’ BFW forum, but because of the amount of business travel I did before covid and retirement I nearly always arranged a meeting or delivered/collected in person with one exception coming to mind when Joe Winstanley (where are you Joe you’ve not posted in a while ) bought a pair of rods off me for his lads. Joe arranged his own courier, DPD, to collect and all went well. I rolled the rods “top to tail” in bubble wrap so as they fitted snug inside of a thick walled carpet roll core which was just over 6ft long. Driver collected with no question of the length and Joe reported the safe arrival a day or so later….perhaps we just got lucky but the tales of woe and my own leaning to caution is stopping me trying to sell a pair of Fox X4 2.75’s I have. If anyone knows of anyone who might be interested I travelling up to The Trent near Newark next week and will be in Milton Keynes for The Tenchfishers SGM in early April. Happy to pt them in the car! 😉
Hi Bill, what's that in MK?

I am reminded of Jeremy Waites adventures and the rod luggage he uses, looks pretty bomb proof, surely not even a courier could break that?

I am reminded of Jeremy Waites adventures and the rod luggage he uses, looks pretty bomb proof, surely not even a courier could break
Probably a Flambeau Bazuka pro? I had one for a few years. I sold it but have since regretted it even if I don't fish overseas. They make a very safe store to keep several rods in.

Hi Bill, what's that in MK?
Hi Michael,
It’s The Tenchfishers Spring General Meeting at Windmill Hill Golf Club, Milton Keynes on Saturday 2nd April.
Regards
Bill

Got an eBay delivery due today via Hermes, nothing breakable so should be okay. Interesting thing is that they’ve changed their name to Evri . Not usually a good sign when a business changes its name, particularly when the original one was so appropriate to its function. I can’t believe that we’ll see any change in their style so just a heads up if you’re searching for a courier and that name pops up, you’ll know who it really is!😉

Dave

Well, the package arrived safe and was even hand delivered at the door. Naturally, having said between 11 & 1 for delivery originally, the slot was changed to 12:30 - 2:30 and it came at around 2, so got there in the end, even if we had been patiently waiting for 3 hours since 11am. The correct style of the new name is EVRi but whether it represents an improvement on the Hermes of old remains to be seen. This was only a relatively small cardboard box that any courier should be capable of delivering safely…

Dave

Hoping someone could update options for posting rods for me. I've had a look & found it difficult to get a price under £28 for a tube 10x10 x 198 cm, 2.9kg. It seems that's just too long for most couriers. Is it just another case of inflated prices these day `because we can get away with it`?

The best part is that they’ll usually charge the earth and then refuse to insure it, so why take the risk?!

Dave

Hoping someone could update options for posting rods for me. I've had a look & found it difficult to get a price under £28 for a tube 10x10 x 198 cm, 2.9kg. It seems that's just too long for most couriers. Is it just another case of inflated prices these day `because we can get away with it`?
3 years ago UPS charged around a tenner for a tube under 5 k and up to 2 m. They now charge nearly 3 times that. When I challenged them, explanation given was long tubes get caught on converveyor direction changes so had to be walked through process by hand, thus extra costs. I thought days of rod damage were over. Still I also believe the moon is made of cheese and that if I live long enough I could make an angler.

Also, not all buyers are honest and tell the seller that the rod arrived damaged!!
Who gets the blame? The couriers won't accept responsibility so it is between you and the purchaser, try proving them wrong 😏
I will not send a rod through the post under any circumstances😏

Also, not all buyers are honest and tell the seller that the rod arrived damaged!!
Who gets the blame? The couriers won't accept responsibility so it is between you and the purchaser, try proving them wrong 😏
I will not send a rod through the post under any circumstances😏
I have a pal who is a carpet fitter. He gives the cores to a local rod seller. The proportion of broken returns they receive is astonishing.. Its not only us, the individual, who suffers.

Mark has no problem with you collecting them from him. Rods of that value it’s definitely worth the road trip. I’ve picked every rod up I’ve ordered from him. He’s flexible too with weekends and evenings if you give him notice.
Exactly why Bob Gill use to say to me, the most stressful part of building custom rods, was the delivery of them, he couldn't relax until he knew the rods had arrived safely.

unfortunately shipping any goods on a parcel or pallet network is an absolute lottery , especially post covid. I could write a book on stuff my business has not received/ got lost/ been destroyed and despite us spending 6 figures with UPS,DPD, Fed Ex etc we don’t get a penny
Some of these goods are thousands
We have had coils of hose 8” bore x 30m coils vanish in the ether- wtf???
Thea things weigh a ton and are about 6’ tall - how hard is it to lose or damage them but it happens
Re Graeme’s rod / just needs a pallet dropped on it or some bell- end to run a pallet truck over it - they don’t give a f**k
The only solution is a dedicated vehicle , door to door - no hubs or cross docking
Touch wood I’ve had no issues with rods being delivered but by the sounds of it, I’ve been very lucky
I feel your pain GE

Sorry to hear that Graham,I can't believe the insurance doesn't cover damage to rods !!
That outrageous !!
My worst experience has been TUFFNELS ! both times I used them the cardboard tube had been badly damaged ,two broken rings on one rod, the other rod managed to survive but the damage to the tube was severe ,you could see the rod through the tube .I posted one yesterday ,cost me £33. My fingers are crossed 😳

Back