• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lesson Learnt. Rod Posting

That’s terrible news Graham was it one of those recent acolytes you bought?

Bloody couriers just don’t give a toss.
Don’t cover fishing rods that’s just ridiculous. Would they cover a set of fine crystal glasses???

Makes you wonder how they broke something in a hard tube. As I’m sure you didn’t make it easy.

That’s terrible news Graham was it one of those recent acolytes you bought?

Bloody couriers just don’t give a toss.
Don’t cover fishing rods that’s just ridiculous. Would they cover a set of fine crystal glasses???

Makes you wonder how they broke something in a hard tube. As I’m sure you didn’t make it easy.
Yes, above handle and middle of mid section.
Fragile tip OK!
Bubble wrapped in hard tube. My bargain expensive!

Look down list beyond prohibited items.
Shocking
Basically what they are saying is…. If it’s possible to break we can break it and not be responsible.

F*****g t***s
That’s sealed it for me too graham. I won’t send rods anymore either. Dunno how these tackle shops do it regularly. They must get a fair share of breakages

Well UPS managed to smash a £170 rod I sold.

Despite being in hard tube. They won't cover fishing rods for damage so no compensation.

Last time I ever post one. Not a happy bunny.
Sorry to hear of this and one of the reasons I gave up making rods as a proper business sometime back.
As you have discovered UPS and all other couriers won't cover rods even if you take out extra insurance on them.
Been caught a few times when couriers have destroyed a or a consignment of rods and refused to compensate.
Could go on and on relating various other folks experiences.
At the moment the courier seems to 'rule' and profiteer - especially in recent times and seem not to give a toss.
They will also sale you insurance knowing the declared contents are in their excluded items.
I once had a contract with a well known courier to 'insure' all items I was sending out only to learn the hard way.
When I suggested 'fraud' they begrudgingly coughed up £50 - this was sometime ago and prices have more than doubled and conditions have become more restrictive - such as size limits.
Last rod I sent out cost £36 when it used to be around £13 to £17.

Rant over - for now.
Cheers
Bob

Looking at that list, Graham, I struggle to find much that you can send with any form of financial protection. It’s a hard lesson to learn but it seems that most parcel firms are only interested in small items and certainly nothing out of the ordinary that takes some care to transport. I guess all we, as customers, can do is cease using any firms that either don’t provide the necessary cover at a reasonable price, or are known to treat items without proper care. We all know who they are by now.

A web search reveals that Ofcom is responsible for regulating the parcel industry so perhaps we should all complain to them when we get poor service from couriers, so that they continue to be aware of the ongoing problems with these services….

Dave

Sorry to hear of this and one of the reasons I gave up making rods as a proper business sometime back.
As you have discovered UPS and all other couriers won't cover rods even if you take out extra insurance on them.
Been caught a few times when couriers have destroyed a or a consignment of rods and refused to compensate.
Could go on and on relating various other folks experiences.
At the moment the courier seems to 'rule' and profiteer - especially in recent times and seem not to give a toss.
They will also sale you insurance knowing the declared contents are in their excluded items.
I once had a contract with a well known courier to 'insure' all items I was sending out only to learn the hard way.
When I suggested 'fraud' they begrudgingly coughed up £50 - this was sometime ago and prices have more than doubled and conditions have become more restrictive - such as size limits.
Last rod I sent out cost £36 when it used to be around £13 to £17.

Rant over - for now.
Cheers
Bob

I wonder how many people (both sellers and buyers) fall foul of this. I was going to order some custom rods from Mark Tunley but noticed in the small print they weren’t insured if you wanted them delivered. Needless to say I wasn’t risking £800 of carbon arriving in pieces, and I don’t blame Mark for not taking the responsibility either.

I'm surprised that there isn't more of a demand for multi piece rods. Almost all Salmon rods between say 8 ft and 16 ft, both spinning and fly are almost all 4 or 6 piece and come in hard tubes. Can't recall ever hearing about any damaged in transit. It's also much easier to transport and hide them.
The old flat spots problems seem to have been eradicated.
Win win win.

What a disgraceful way to treat a customer!! I wonder if you'd been a major client you'd be treated differently. Plenty of rods get sent out by courier every day by the larger tackle retailers, I wonder if they're treated any different when breakages occur? Shocking.

all couriers are useless none of them give a toss a work colleague recently had a delivery of a car battery… they couldn’t open the gate so threw it over a 6ft fence

I wonder how many people (both sellers and buyers) fall foul of this. I was going to order some custom rods from Mark Tunley but noticed in the small print they weren’t insured if you wanted them delivered. Needless to say I wasn’t risking £800 of carbon arriving in pieces, and I don’t blame Mark for not taking the responsibility either.
Mark has no problem with you collecting them from him. Rods of that value it’s definitely worth the road trip. I’ve picked every rod up I’ve ordered from him. He’s flexible too with weekends and evenings if you give him notice.

Back