• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lathams internet shop Warning

Mike Lane

Just thought that for the benefit of anyone thinking of buying from Lathams
in a word DON'T ,I ordered 10 packets of hooks on 11 June as they promised posting the next day,it is now 23 June and after 4 phone calls and 5 emails still nothing and no explanation ,when I told a mate about this it appears that he had had a similar experience

Mike

hooks

Perhaps that is the case
then they should not take the money from me if they cannot fulfill their side of the deal

Mike

Just thought that for the benefit of anyone thinking of buying from Lathams
in a word DON'T ,I ordered 10 packets of hooks on 11 June as they promised posting the next day,it is now 23 June and after 4 phone calls and 5 emails still nothing and no explanation ,when I told a mate about this it appears that he had had a similar experience

Mike

Mike i assume you paid by either credit card or debit card ?

Have you tried phoning your bank or the credit card company and explained to them what as happened :)

payment

Yes by debit card,I have asked for a refund but nobody will speak to me.
I buy an awful lot of items on line and this is by far the most annoying shop that I have ever dealt with,I have had experiences before where items have not turned up but in those cases the shop has bent over backwards to rectify the problem.
Lathams have not done anything,just pleased it was for hooks and not a rod or reel as I have only lost £14 or so

Mike

Yes by debit card,I have asked for a refund but nobody will speak to me.
I buy an awful lot of items on line and this is by far the most annoying shop that I have ever dealt with,I have had experiences before where items have not turned up but in those cases the shop has bent over backwards to rectify the problem.
Lathams have not done anything,just pleased it was for hooks and not a rod or reel as I have only lost £14 or so

Mike

Mike, i would e-mail them telling them you're passing the details of your transaction to the police. This is Fraud ! and needs to be stamped out, many bonfide internet shops suffer because of stories like this.

Ian.

Edit... they might have gone bust ! this is the message that came up when i googled them and clicked the link.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver][mysqld-5.0.45-log]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's&ei=zyMDTsPVMMSzhAeM1I2TDg&usg=AFQjCNFyP1INwGt_jiUeLlj4LT6gsB-Lrw','/index.asp'' at line 1

/includes/asp/log_hit_details.asp, line 66

Edit Again....

No they're not, used another link and it works ok, that must be a bad link.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps
Ian I think that you are correct
I posted this just so that nobody gets caught out the same way for big money
I canlive with a £14 lesson,of course would have prefered not to have to

Mike

I have received a rod from them this morning. I added a knot unpicker to the order to get it over £50 and free postage. After 6 working days and no rod I phoned and was promised a call back which never arrived. Next day I phoned again, and after several attempts being left at number 1 in a queue and finally hanging up, I got through with the same result. Third call I held on while it was sorted. The knot picker was out of stock and this had stopped the order being sent. I changed the order to 3 packs of hooks and the rod arrived next day as promised.

The service once I got past the receptionist was good but it shouldn't have needed that. I would probably not order from them again due to the hassle of getting the goods dispatched. Don't phone the number that is on the website but the number on the order confirmation email if you want to avoid being held in a queue.

I have done some digging around re Lathams and managed after some time to speak with one of the 'bosses', he didn't want me to divulge who he was on here, but he assure me that your order is being processed. There has been teething troubles with a new computer system hence the problems, if you want the contact name pm me and I will give it to you.

I suspect that many internet shops operate in a similar manner. Via a third party, I made an order of a top end rod from a very highly praised tackle shop over a month ago. As yet it hasn't appeared. There have been emails along the way to suggest that it should be here in a couple of days but as yet, nothing. The only logical answer is that, despite the web site suggesting otherwise, it wasn't in stock and they've had to order it from the manufacturer. I'm away at the moment so timescales were never that critical. However, it's a bit of a liberty to take money for something that you can't actually deliver. What will have me stotting mad is that they won't be able to source one at all. In the mean time I may have been able to purchase from another source.

Neil,
that's all very well but as I could'nt get to a tackle shop before 16 June I was assured that I would recieve the hooks by return
I had to fish the first day without my prefered size and pattern of hook,and now I will still have to get to a tackle shop
In my opinion they are charletons and I would never use them again and would recommend the same to anyone who wishes to know.
I find it so frustrating that they are happy to take your money but don't give two hoots about the service that they provide (or don't as the case may be)

Mike

I am having similar troubles with Blackcountry Baits!!:mad::mad:
I ordered £16 of leads on 24/04 and they have never arrived, the guy reckons he has sent them 3 times now and everytime i ask for a tracking number it is never recognised.
After a conversation with him yesterday he finaly said he would give me a refund but i will not bother holding my breath!!

Dont buy from Blackcountry Baits

Internet buying

How strange,for over two weeks I have tried with no satisfaction to get a refund or my hooks
I start this thread and I have now got a partial refund of £3.96 ? perhaps some hooks will appear at some point ?
I will not be holding my breath !!!!

Jason,keep on at them and maybe you will get some sort of result

Mike

Spoke to the bank and they said it amounts to theft so i will get my money back:D

Good luck with your quest.

Jason

Neil,
that's all very well but as I could'nt get to a tackle shop before 16 June I was assured that I would recieve the hooks by return
I had to fish the first day without my prefered size and pattern of hook,and now I will still have to get to a tackle shop
In my opinion they are charletons and I would never use them again and would recommend the same to anyone who wishes to know.
I find it so frustrating that they are happy to take your money but don't give two hoots about the service that they provide (or don't as the case may be)

Mike

Mike
I spent the best part of half an hour on the phone to this lot...in the end I telephoned another company in the group to get a telephone number that someone would answer, but I was told when I did get through they have had problems with a new computer system. I will say I have used them in the past and have had no problems, even had a replacement net sent without having to return the faulty one. I think you have genuine reasons for grievence and they should have contacted you, but I personally would not label them as Charletons just yet:)
I did explain that they are getting stick on here and he did say he would tend to the problem(s)
Perhaps it's a timely lesson to us all that when we have no high street shops left this is the service we can expect.

Lathams

Neil,
I appreciate you spending time on this truely.I have to say whatever the problems that they have had this could have been handled by them with more customer care,It should not take a third party telling them that they are getting bad press on a website to get their arses into gear.
If they had got any balls they would have sorted it out within a couple of days.
Anyway I will let you know what happens.as it seems odd to get a small part refund,I wish they had done what I asked and given a full refund,
I have had great service from other tackle suppliers online so will stick to them in future

Mike

Back