• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Kicked out for catching too many!

And to think as a result I got you on to the Committee initially Crooky......;):D

And half the others..............:p

Dave, If you still believe its the majority view that has the ear of the Committee...........................................:rolleyes:

As I mentioned earlier, he may well have had many mates. Just not those indicated above.

But as you say we don't know.

It was very naughty of me Graham, sorry, you did a good thing there by the way :)

In all areas of match fishing you will find anglers that win regularly and ones that mainly make up the numbers. Any match held regularly will have a venue expert! Someone who has got it sorted out or maybe only fishes that venue. Even the top open matches are mainly wone by the same few people.
Personally I think if an angler is winning all the time then they should move up the table to the next level. You improve massively by fishing against better anglers. If you are good enough, you start to compete with the better anglers and start winning again and so on.

And to think as a result I got you on to the Committee initially Crooky......;):D

And half the others..............:p

As for handicaps. If I ever went to a match and was told.......by the way, Ivan Marks (bless his soul) is only allowed to start 30 mins after the rest of us...........I would turn around and go home. After all, winning would mean nowt.

Dave, If you still believe its the majority view that has the ear of the Committee...........................................:rolleyes:

As I mentioned earlier, he may well have had many mates. Just not those indicated above.

But as you say we don't know.

AH well, there is the difference you see mate. I only ever served on the committee of one very small club, and that most definitely was VERY democratically run. A scenario such as the one you are suggesting may have occurred here just could not have happened at the club I was involved with.

One of the....errrr...I will re-word that....THE reason I stay strictly away from club politics in any shape or form nowadays, is a brief insight I was exposed to, of the sort of sheeite you are alluding to Graham. I truly do hope that the incident we are discussing here was a small club of the type I was involved with, and that things were done in the right way, for the right reasons. Perhaps I am being a tad naive here....I really hope not.

I find it extremely difficult to deal calmly with situations where unpleasant, ego driven individuals are the basis of a problem. Where that type of individual attains a position of some power, I don't tend to hang around too long to allow myself to become affected by their malign influence.

Cheers, Dave.

I think the club needs to be careful. Basically they are discriminating against him. If that happened at my golf club (and something similar has) they would be taken to the cleaners. You can't just kick people out of a club because he's better than everyone else. What a load of old tosh.

Now they've set a precedent it'll be interesting to see if they take the same approach when the next guy on the ladder starts consistently winning as surely now anyone who wins 50% of that club's matches will be expelled prior to the following season.

Cheers,

Steven

I have to agree with Graham, if you join a match fishing club then you join it for the competition. If you don't want to compete or you're not good enough then don't join the club, kicking out the best angler because he's too successful is ridiculous. Why should the better anglers have to move up, maybe he's happy where he is? How about the poorer anglers move down to a club more suited to their ability? Everybody would be up in arms if the worst angler had been kicked out and it was suggested that they should be 'relegated'

If it is just a few friends who fish together, as some have suggested it may be, then why form an open membership club in the first place?

If that happened at my golf club (and something similar has)

In this case the committee should be docking his/her handicap on 'general play'. If on the other hand the player is off scratch, they deserve to win.

But surely this is absolutely no different than any other sport, if Man Utd were playing in the Championship and winning every year they would be expected to move up to the Premiership.................. Many sports have seeding, similar to golf having handicaps, competitions where people are paying money to enter should be based on a fair level of capability where possible. I would be fully behind such a decision if it had to be taken in our local club, if someone is streets ahead of the rest they need to move on, otherwise numbers will just drop............

I would be fully behind such a decision if it had to be taken in our local club,

Really !!!
I would see the club fold, before such disgusting behaviour was allowed to prevail, this is a symptom of the match fishing scene ( i refrain from calling it angling ) the sometimes very hostile rivalries that dominate these circles, are one of the reasons why i have absolutley no interest in match fishing.

Ejecting any member on the grounds of pressure from his jealous peers, would never get my vote, even if it came down to he being the last member the club had.
The club i belong to did have a broadly similar situation where the match dominated committee attempted to eject a member, even using one of their own as a sacrificial lamb, it ended with the whole of the match section leaving the club.... bloody good riddance !! :D
A**eho*es :mad:

Ian.

I would be fully behind such a decision if it had to be taken in our local club,

Really !!!
I would see the club fold, before such disgusting behaviour was allowed to prevail, this is a symptom of the match fishing scene ( i refrain from calling it angling ) the sometimes very hostile rivalries that dominate these circles, are one of the reasons why i have absolutley no interest in match fishing.

Ejecting any member on the grounds of pressure from his jealous peers, would never get my vote, even if it came down to he being the last member the club had.
The club i belong to did have a broadly similar situation where the match dominated committee attempted to eject a member, even using one of their own as a sacrificial lamb, it ended with the whole of the match section leaving the club.... bloody good riddance !! :D

Ian.

Agree totally Ian, match dominated clubs are selfish, insular and have no respect at all for any other branch of angling. Nor, if this incident is anything to go by, much respect for some of their members either.

Really !!!

Ian.

As you said, you know nothing about match fishing and should therefore maybe keep quiet..........

The discussion and my points are not at all about basic humanity Ian, you should know me well enough by now. This is simply about fairness, if the guy is that good then he should be spending his time joing a team and fishing the bigger open matches. I must admit I didn't read the fact that he was only winning 50% of the matches, that does make a huge difference, I had the impression he was winning everything over a number of years.

To correct my earlier post, I understand the club in question is a pure match club with no waters, they simply get together each weekend, pay their fees and subs and fish matches. The reason the action was taken is because more than half of the members said they would not join the following year if he stayed, effectively closing the club so what other choice would the committee have??

In my local club, I would support stopping the individual from joining matches but not ban hi9m from the club as it is a general angling club with it's own waters and he would do no harm whatsoever pleasure fishing, getting practice for bigger matches, etc.....that is not however the case with this club and I fully understand what they have done.....however, it is a bit petty if he is only winning 50% :rolleyes:

As you said, you know nothing about match fishing and should therefore maybe keep quiet..........

Ian, I know nothing about match fishing either but have no intention of keeping quiet. Who are you to advise others on what they can or can't comment on??

The discussion and my points are not at all about basic humanity Ian, you should know me well enough by now. This is simply about fairness, if the guy is that good then he should be spending his time joing a team and fishing the bigger open matches. I must admit I didn't read the fact that he was only winning 50% of the matches, that does make a huge difference, I had the impression he was winning everything over a number of years.

To correct my earlier post, I understand the club in question is a pure match club with no waters, they simply get together each weekend, pay their fees and subs and fish matches. The reason the action was taken is because more than half of the members said they would not join the following year if he stayed, effectively closing the club so what other choice would the committee have??

In my local club, I would support stopping the individual from joining matches but not ban hi9m from the club as it is a general angling club with it's own waters and he would do no harm whatsoever pleasure fishing, getting practice for bigger matches, etc.....that is not however the case with this club and I fully understand what they have done.....however, it is a bit petty if he is only winning 50% :rolleyes:

I said i had no interest Ian, not that i knew nothing about it.

This is simply about fairness, if the guy is that good then he should be spending his time joing a team and fishing the bigger open matches.

Fairness ? thats a laugh ! - what if the guy has no ambitions of entering bigger matches, what if he just wants to join his - mates - :rolleyes: ???? for his match fishing sessions, the fact he wins consistently is irrelavent

In my local club, I would support stopping the individual from joining matches but not ban hi9m from the club as it is a general angling club with it's own waters and he would do no harm whatsoever pleasure fishing

In our club Ian, it would not be possible to support any such restriction on peoples fishing.
Provided an angler is a fully paid up member, and is not the subject of any diciplinary action, he or she is entitled to fish our waters match or pleasure, subject to the rules of the club.

I don't see either that this chap was doing any harm, apart from perhaps denting the egos of some spoiled brats. :(
I doubt very much that any angler consistently winning matches in our club would be viewed as doing any harm, thats before or after the old match fraternity walked out.

Ian.

Ian.

I think to be honest all this article does is high light that there a lot of petty and generally unpleasant people associated with angling. Both the angler and the club have proven their equal worth in hopeless behavior to a degree - as everyone has already discussed.

I'm sure both Usain Bolt and Lionel Messi (shining examples) will both be banned from their respective sports in the very near future. After all, why should they win all the time, denting the fragile egos of all those low achievers around them...... It's just not fair now, is it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure both Usain Bolt and Lionel Messi (shining examples) will both be banned from their respective sports in the very near future. After all, why should they win all the time, denting the fragile egos of all those low achievers around them...... It's just not fair now, is it. :rolleyes:

Do they pay cold hard cash into a pot before every match?

The only thing that I can think of that would be similar would be pub darts or pool. However, if someone turned up and regularly took everyones cash they'd soon be accused of sharking and be shunned. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

Ian, I know nothing about match fishing either but have no intention of keeping quiet. Who are you to advise others on what they can or can't comment on??

Alex, I forgot the smiley, it was banter from one very good friend to another, you might notice Mr Grant didn't explode as he would have if someone else had written a comment like that.

I give up anyway, you lot are right! You used to be allowed an opinion on here but now you just get beaten down by some ego maniac until you stop posting on a subject, it is no wonder the forum is dying!

OK Ian, misunderstanding on my part. Of course you are allowed an opinion, it's differences of opinion that keeps the forum alive. I have seen no signs of it dying

If you are entering matches, or are involved in any competitive sport/hobby for that matter, surely you are competing because you want to be the best. If being the best means being kicked out of the club, then who wants to be the best ? If you are competing purely for financial gain, then I'm sorry I feel no sympathy for you if you get beaten week in week out, you're a fool for not knowing your own limitations. If someone beats me, I pat them on the back and say well done, and then go about finding a way to beat them. I keep doing that until I do beat them (at least once).

Nick C

Hi men,

You know who's in the wrong here ?, the bloke for being photographed , alowing the story to be used , and portraying himself as being that good !. It shows angling in a bad light , something he should have thought about . We have all been wronged in life , inocent of things , but hard as it might be , moved on , as he should of.

Hatter

well said nick, i dont take matches to seriously, if you win , to me its a bonus and its taking part that counts, and maybe meeting other anglers and sharing tips and info, wonder if this happen to all the other famous anglers like ,wilson, hayes etc etc
no matter what is said about this case, they will be people who will have they say with is fair enough,

Back