• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keith Speer on Tight Lines this Friday

Jim

Are you for real?!

Keith Arthur has presented on Sky for nearly 20 years so he must be doing something right. I for one am interested in his shotting patterns etc - he is a successful angler and we can all learn from others.

Must admit I dont understand why Keith Arthur has guests when he doesnt really let them talk. I was really interested in Keith Speers views on his successful approach to barbel fishing, but Keith Arthur never let him get a word in. :(

If you think he's bad on that you should hear him on his radio phone in show, Saturday and Sunday mornings on Radio 5 Live. But then he does have an excuse, most of the people who phone in can hardly string a sentence together.

Top draw mate, really enjoyed it. In fact I watched it twice.

Keith Arthur..? Slightly harsh me thinks chaps, he's a good man, his heart in the right place and an ally to angling...

Ian

Only watched the podcast, but really enjoyed it.
Keith seemed relaxed and came across really well.
Interesting & informative - as I thought it would be.
I reckon Keith Arthur does a good job (despite being a gooner!) - certainly got a gob on him (just ask Deano) but thought it all worked well.
Good stuff Keith (Speer).:)

Keith Arthur definitely flies the flag for angling and with a show on Sky Sports and a show on Talksport Radio he deserves a bit of a break. There are not many people on mainstream channels keeping our sport in the spotlight. Also, he's a good angler with a decent record on the competition scene so talk of him not knowing what's what is a little foolish.

Last edited:
He's nowhere near as bad as his Talksport colleagues Alan Brazil and Ronnie Irani for interrupting guests! They all end up overshouting each other and you can't hear a thing.

It was a good programme and I thought both Keiths did well.

well i for one enjoyed his imput with keith, it gave us guys different rigs for same job and good explaination by both anglers, yes not all keith arthurs
programmes are going to please every angler each time but they are always informing, i thought they gave our keith some excellent coverage both in the shed and by the riverside, again a great job:)

I was impressed with that river, it certainly is a huge contrast to the
Midlands rivers I'm used to fishing but it looked delicious.

It certainly did look attractive Ade, but did you notice what Keith was saying about it? The Verulam club have made that stretch what it is, by years of hard effort. The result of their work is a reversal of the decline of the little river, returning it to it's former glory and making it once again a habitat fit for fish and other wildlife. A big pat on the back for all involved, very well done.

Cheers, Dave.

I really enjoyed watching the podcast.

Keith A does of course talk too much but that's how he fills a regular radio show about fishing, I couldn't do it!

Keith S, would loved to have heard/seen more on your feeding patterns when float fishing. Basically I was hoping to see a video version of your excellent article on here which I learnt a huge amount from thank you:

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...les/5676-floatfishing-barbel-keith-speer.html

It's been a real inspiration for me and the photo shown on the tight lines show was I believe this one, which is one of my favourite barbel pics. A massive barbel, caught in the snow, on a float. Not a word I use to describe things often, but an awesome feat and an awesome creature:

BFW Gallery

Was there any more footage on the full version compard to the podcast?

Cheers, Simon

Last edited:
The piece was well done . No problems with the presenter . Mr Speer looked calm and urbane , bit of a natural really :) Lovely looking stretch of river and a credit to all the hard work put in to it by the controlling club . Agood watch .

Keith Arthur just "gushes". It's something like a boyish enthusiasm. I don't have a problem with it, just the way it is. As has been mentioned before, Keith Arthur is on our side.
A very pleasant hour apart from them eels. :(

I would just like to say thank you for all the pleasant comments.

I was gob-smacked when Keith got in touch and asked me to do the programme, I do what I do because I enjoy it and I have never been one to court fame despite what some might think and say, granted I have posted a few images, produced articles and made comment on several internet forums, I always assumed it would only be of interest to a few anglers and friends, it seems I have been un-done by my own naivety.

I must say I am always amused with terms like “legend†and “starâ€, happily my close friends and I know the truth and I fully intend to keep both my feet firmly planted on the ground, preferably close to a river, but on the ground even so.

I have been asked to do a days filming while float fishing for big Barbel in the autumn, I think I will do it, but I must first find a venue that ensures that I don’t step on any toes (and produces a fish, so no pressure), hopefully I can answer a few of the questions that I have been asked concerning how and why by means of demonstration.

To be honest the only reason I have considered doing this is the very many positive comments that I have received, on this site and others and by E-mail, private message and text (I have also received some not so positive comments, but as I am not a politician and do not HAVE to be popular with all, I shall ignore most of those).

Anyway enough of my rambling, to those who liked it, Thank You and to those that did not, well thanks anyway.

Further filming

Hi Keith,
Good luck with the promise of further filming later this year. Enjoy the experience, having read your posts I don't think there is the slightest chance of you becoming 'starstruck'.;) Looking forward to seeing you in action again,
Regards,
Graham.

Back