• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is it me? Is it real?

Wolves. Thats the next big problem.

Having been nearly killed by a charging herd of cattle....just a warning, don't switch your 2 red spots on your head torch on when walking through a field of cows.

Luckily I escaped with just lots of thorns sticking out of me as I made my dive over the fence into thick brambles.

I think the cattle thought predator eyes.

You could well be right Graham, I'd never even considered it. Mostly cattle will be curious but nothing more unless they have calves and/or you have a dog, but red eyes! Yes, they probably did think predators. Glad you warned us, the area I'm currently fishing has a herd of pretty docile but occasionally nosey beef cattle so I'll keep the torch off!

Wolves. Thats the next big problem.

Having been nearly killed by a charging herd of cattle....just a warning, don't switch your 2 red spots on your head torch on when walking through a field of cows.

Luckily I escaped with just lots of thorns sticking out of me as I made my dive over the fence into thick brambles.

I think the cattle thought predator eyes.

Useful tip Graham - I hadn't thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense as cattle are able to see long wavelength colours (e.g. red and orange) much more clearly than shorter wavelength colours such as green and blue. No wonder you spooked them!

Joe, Alex. It was a few years ago on the Teme.

I had walked through them earlier no problem.
As the light faded and I made my way back with the lights on they seemed agitated and all turned around to look at me. Luckily because of the reaction I decided to move towards the fence and go the long way round.

About 50 yards from the fence I turned back to look at them, by now they were making quite a racket and started with a trot then full gallop toward me down a hill.

Its no fun running with tackle bag, rod quiver etc.

I launched them over the barbed wire fence and dived head first into thick thorns, the cattle no more than a few yards away. It took me 15 minutes to compose myself and more than a week till I needled the last thorns out.

I've been in a few scarey situations but this was one of the worse. I NEVER fish a place where cattle can get to me ever.

Better to be safe than sorry Graham, just shows you something like a head torch could set off seemingly placid animals.

I'm comfortable around livestock and know how to read the signs, but I'm always wary of unfamiliar suckler cows, especially if they have calves at foot. And whilst no self respecting farmer would ever dream of putting dangerous stock on land with a public footpath, but the problem we anglers face is crossing farmland where cattle aren't use to seeing many people, particularly when fishing off the beaten track on lightly fished rivers.

If in doubt I walk the long way round, even Usain Bolt couldn't outrun a cow in full flight!

Narrow escape Graham! Like Joe I am used to cattle but very aware that they can't be taken for granted and your experience shows how things can change in an instant. I prefer to fish where there are no cattle but tolerate cows (unless they have baby calves) and bullocks but draw the line if there's a bull in the field, no matter what breed. Dairy bulls shouldn't be loose where there's a public right of way but as Joe points out some fishing spots are way off the beaten track. I'm not sure, but I also think if a club or syndicate rent fishing from a farmer they have to accept that cattle, including bulls, may be in the fields. I'm not sure the same rules apply as do for public footpaths, maybe somebody else knows?

Narrow escape Graham! Like Joe I am used to cattle but very aware that they can't be taken for granted and your experience shows how things can change in an instant. I prefer to fish where there are no cattle but tolerate cows (unless they have baby calves) and bullocks but draw the line if there's a bull in the field, no matter what breed. Dairy bulls shouldn't be loose where there's a public right of way but as Joe points out some fishing spots are way off the beaten track. I'm not sure, but I also think if a club or syndicate rent fishing from a farmer they have to accept that cattle, including bulls, may be in the fields. I'm not sure the same rules apply as do for public footpaths, maybe somebody else knows?

Your right Alex, it is illegal to put a dairy bull over 10 months in any field with a PROW running through it, or a beef bull without cows or heifers. It is also illegal to put any animal known to be aggressive in a field with a PROW. The rules only apply to PROWs.

It's a barbel website,any chance we could get back on track!!

Spoilsport.... threads develop, some more than others, depends on the interest level, obviously there was some interest here, maybe it would have been better for you on the Social forum ?

:rolleyes:

Dave

It's a barbel website,any chance we could get back on track!!

Plenty of barbel threads on here Wayne, you have no obligation to read a thread that doesn't interest you. Perhaps we could vary it a bit with accounts of big cats eating barbel or maybe tripping over Lone Angler landing net handles.:D

Plenty of barbel threads on here Wayne, you have no obligation to read a thread that doesn't interest you. Perhaps we could vary it a bit with accounts of big cats eating barbel or maybe tripping over Lone Angler landing net handles.:D

:D:D:D:

Like Button........ boingggggg !!!!!.

Dave

Back