• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice???

Honestly cant understand why anyone would go to the trouble of sharpening a hook, unless your a tight arse 😁, just discard safely, and replace with a new one. Even at £5 for a pack of 10, they are as cheap as chips, just 50p a hook. When you consider the money people spend on expensive rods, reels etc etc, hundreds and hundreds of pounds. The hook is the MOST important thing that keeps you in contact with the fish. At just 50p each for a good one. Come on guys. 👍
Look through an eye glass at hooks straight out of the pack you would be surprised how blunt some of them are or points turned over .. when they are sharpened they are sticky sharp like a hypodermic needle

Honestly cant understand why anyone would go to the trouble of sharpening a hook, unless your a tight arse 😁, just discard safely, and replace with a new one. Even at £5 for a pack of 10, they are as cheap as chips, just 50p a hook. When you consider the money people spend on expensive rods, reels etc etc, hundreds and hundreds of pounds. The hook is the MOST important thing that keeps you in contact with the fish. At just 50p each for a good one. Come on guys. 👍
I would totally disagree.

I do plenty of fly fishing and the price of hand tied flies first started me hook sharpening. Then I got involved in saltwater fly fishing and I learned that super sharp hooks (and the correct patterns) make a massive difference to the number of fish I land.

Then I caught a string of big difficult carp from a low stock pit and one of the contributory factors was the fact that I was the first angler on there using really sharp hooks (it was 15 years ago).

Whilst I appreciate that a barbel is different to a carp (and a tarpon!), my opinion is that a well sharpened hook is helpful to my catch rate. Furthermore the ability to 'touch up' hooks from the packet or really resharpen them after light use has become second nature to me.

As time goes by I care less and less about my rods and reels, but more about my hook, my bait and my line.

It is the most important item - that's why its worth sharpening! Changing hooks on direct long links also means (for a lot of barbel anglers) changing / shortening a 4' hooklink as well . . .I'm not sure anyone on here uses / or has even heard of a multi-rig (now there's a thought for coated hooklink users!)

I use the Multi rig all the time, its great for quickly changing a hook without shortening your hooklength

The Drennan Continentals - are they roughly consistent/comparable in size to other hooks? And are the 10s as reliable as bigger?
I have to admit that last season's straightened hook does play on my mind, even using the eight rather than a ten.

The Drennan Continentals - are they roughly consistent/comparable in size to other hooks? And are the 10s as reliable as bigger?
I have to admit that last season's straightened hook does play on my mind, even using the eight rather than a ten.
Have you had a look at Fox Arma SSBP hooks @Richard Parsons ? They are my go-to 'hook 'n hold' #10 hooks.

Only use korum s5, managed to get enough to see me out, tried various hooks as i was learning , had a fair few pulled out of shape on the dove, including a few mentioned in this post, but never had a problem with the s5, why they stopped making them beggars belief, they hold on even when i've locked my hand over the reel to stop one getting to a snag, had all my big fish on these hooks, ( i' ll put a spare pack in when i see you later in the year rich p, see what you think), size 10s,12s
Regards

Yes, I have done...and would do again. I've use them, Pallatrax, Nash etc, but Drennan mostly I guess. My fave hook, by a country mile, is Fox Arma SSBP (B) for hook 'n hold reliability (snag fishing) and sharpness, but had very few problems with blunting with any hooks. Had to throw a 'Gripz' away last season but that's the only time I remember in the last few years
Fox SSSP's and SSBP's brilliant hooks and the best I've ever used, shame they don't make them in 9's and 10's anymore. 10's were great for maggots and casters.

Only use korum s5, managed to get enough to see me out, tried various hooks as i was learning , had a fair few pulled out of shape on the dove, including a few mentioned in this post, but never had a problem with the s5, why they stopped making them beggars belief, they hold on even when i've locked my hand over the reel to stop one getting to a snag, had all my big fish on these hooks, ( i' ll put a spare pack in when i see you later in the year rich p, see what you think), size 10s,12s
Regards
Agreed,a very strong reliable hook that I've had some big fish on,a shame they are discontinued.My all time favourite Mustad hook has also been discontinued,when I asked on here for hook recommendations last year the Bank Tackle wide gape was mentioned several times so I bought some 8's.They are good hooks and have accounted for some good fish in hit and hold situations.In smaller sizes I like the Gardner target specimen which are deceptively strong and cheap.Another excellent hook which someone has already mentioned is the Drennan specimen plus,it has an unusual bend and is sized on the small side but is immensley strong and sharp.I've had some doubles in a hit and hold swim on a size 10(which is like a 12)We are lucky to have such a wide array of different hooks to choose from for barbel and we have the carp boys to thank for that.

Interesting to read your opinions - I have ordered some Bank Tackle hooks, will see how I get on with them.

Will also pick up a pack of Nash Claws too

Have you had a look at Fox Arma SSBP hooks @Richard Parsons ? They are my go-to 'hook 'n hold' #10 hooks.
Hi
Fox hooks for me also, Fox series 2xl for quite a few years, then changed to Fox Arma points SSBP in 6, 8 + 10, I can honestly say I've not a a bad hook at of the packet and can't remember ever having a hook pull on the SSBP. Also I used to touch up the series 2 hooks, but have never had to with the SSBP. When they discontinued the 10s, I brought a few packs! Ps I mostly use an 8! If I was going to change hook pattern then probably would try the Bank tackle SSBP, but also tempted to try the Nash hooks as recommended by Rich - looks an interesting shape
Regards Wayne

Regards
Thanks Jim! :)

Just another fashionable thing that's come from the carp fishing scene...(and I brought the bits to try it recently 😂)
There's a chap I follow on YouTube that swears a lot of the top branded hooks he uses that come straight out the packet are not fit for purpose...

Back