• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice???

Those Drennen are also ridiculously expensive at £5 a packet , I ordered 50 Bank tackle hooks for just over a tenner with discount.

That's what I found.

Nice hooks, shame they don't do a '12'. Would be ideal for maggots.
In one of the rain breaks in the cricket this morning I dropped Bank Tackle an email suggesting that there might be a market for at least a size 12 in the range. I’ll let you know their response Joe…..on the subject of cricket! I wish I’d stayed in bed ☹️

In one of the rain breaks in the cricket this morning I dropped Bank Tackle an email suggesting that there might be a market for at least a size 12 in the range. I’ll let you know their response Joe…..on the subject of cricket! I wish I’d stayed in bed ☹️
Fingers crossed they take note of your email Bill.

Re cricket, I thought we were a little unlucky. I fancied us to chase 53 from 33 balls with Moeen and Livi at the crease, and Curran and Woakes still in the shed.

Those Drennen are also ridiculously expensive at £5 a packet , I ordered 50 Bank tackle hooks for just over a tenner with discount.
I pay a fortune for rods reels even the clothing needed tp keep warm and dry etc

and I certainly dont mind spending out on one of if not the most important bit of tackle ? I want as near to perfection I can get in the line I use (ESP Syncro XT ) and the best Hook I can possibly buy

but its your money and your choice of course and if your happy thats all that matters at the end of the day

Last edited:
I'll have a compare when they arrive.
Seems like the 8s will be my 15mm boilie size
Graham
This is a size 10 wide gap with a 14mm pellet, hopefully this gives you an idea of the size. I hooked and landed 13 barbel last night on this rig, each one hooked good and proper! Brilliant hooks for the money!
20221027_121717.jpg

Graham
This is a size 10 wide gap with a 14mm pellet, hopefully this gives you an idea of the size. I hooked and landed 13 barbel last night on this rig, each one hooked good and proper! Brilliant hooks for the money!
View attachment 21467
Yes Mark. When I got them said.

"
Found the 8's too big for my general use apart from breadflake.

10's will be fine for most uses for most baits up to 15mm.

I'll second that Kevin.Got this Bank tackle size 8 embedded on the Thames at 2am last winter. Drove home with it, snipped it half way down the shank, pushed it through until the point appeared, then pulled it through with the forceps 😟
View attachment 21220

I'll second that Kevin.Got this Bank tackle size 8 embedded on the Thames at 2am last winter. Drove home with it, snipped it half way down the shank, pushed it through until the point appeared, then pulled it through with the forceps 😟
View attachment 21220
Snap!Although beingthe wuss that I am chickened out and went to hospital for a local anaesthetic.

Attachments

• 20221024_171429.jpg
    20221024_171429.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 91
Glad I’m not the only one hooking myself 🙃

Anyone else find these hooks just catch on anything? Clothes luggage anglers etc can’t be a bad thing most of the time , not sure if it’s the Jim Gibbinson line aligner I use ( ie hook link coming out at the front of the shrink tube )

Glad I’m not the only one hooking myself 🙃

Anyone else find these hooks just catch on anything? Clothes luggage anglers etc can’t be a bad thing most of the time , not sure if it’s the Jim Gibbinson line aligner I use ( ie hook link coming out at the front of the shrink tube )
Yes,the Bank Tackle wide gapes are a very ''sticky hook''especially with a line aligner on the shank,it did it's job and flipped the point straight into my hand,it went in as far as the bend and wasn't coming out!! That's the last time I try and prevent an unhooked fish from jumping out of the landing net.

As a 15 year old I managed to get a barbed hook well into a finger.
Visit to an A and E.

Once I had seen the size of the needle, and the pain of the injection either side of the finger.....
Never again. Home, ice around it, pliars, grit my teeth....

As a 15 year old I managed to get a barbed hook well into a finger.
Visit to an A and E.

Once I had seen the size of the needle, and the pain of the injection either side of the finger.....
Never again. Home, ice around it, pliars, grit my teeth....
Same Graham,a barbeb 16 I think, we stupidly managed to cut it flush and it was left there to fizzle out.Took a couple of years for the black dot to disappear 😆

It seems like we all using barbed hook, any one tried the barbless hook from bank tackle?
Yup, good hook. I normally buy micro barbed and crimp the barb with my forceps but one lake I’ve fished with my youngest son has a rule of barbless and no crimped hooks so I bought 20 for our carp trip. Needless to say I’ve still got 16 in my tackle box for next year 🤣
Use with confidence Huanzhou 👍

Yup, good hook. I normally buy micro barbed and crimp the barb with my forceps but one lake I’ve fished with my youngest son has a rule of barbless and no crimped hooks so I bought 20 for our carp trip. Needless to say I’ve still got 16 in my tackle box for next year 🤣
Use with confidence Huanzhou 👍
I really like the curve shank hook from bank tackle, bought barbed one in different sizes, but I found sometimes it is difficult to unhook the fish, will give barbless a go.

It seems like we all using barbed hook, any one tried the barbless hook from bank tackle?
Yes, I use them for all my barbel fishing, except float fishing, in the wide gape pattern and never had one let me down, unlike a well known brand. I dropped my rod last night while packing it away and a size 8 penetrated to the bend in my middle finger. After the initial shock, I just slipped it out and it barely bled

Back