• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hardy Marksman rod discussion

They are not Japanese blanks. They are blanks made using carbon cloth that’s made in Japan. But there is a hell of a lot of stuff done to that cloth before it becomes a blank and imo the origins of the cloth is next to irrelevant

The Japanese make the best fishing rods and fixed spool reels bar none but I’m talking about a finished product coming out of Japan like the blanks that used to be produced by Diamaru
Not a blank made in Germany with Japanese cloth. It’s not the same …. Not even remotely close.
Yes, fs blanks are Japan carbon made in Korean and China.

The blanks made in Japan, like those high end shimano and daiwa blanks, are really something else.

Fs for example say their blanks are made in Japan on their own mandrels.
It was Roger Hurst said all hi s and a rang blanks are from Korea. Also on FS website, they only say Japanese carbon, not blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6300.png
    IMG_6300.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 35
interesting reading .... my friend had a days fishing with Dave Harrell on the Wye and took his Marksman float rod, Harrell said they were made in China from cheap Chinese blanks and he didn't rate them !! He was sponsored by Daiwa at the time I believe.
I’ve never fished with a current hardy before. I’ve seen them in the flesh and they certainly look the part fitted out with the latest and greatest bits n bobs.
But then so were the latest Antares rods from Shimano which were definitely built using Japanese carbon cloth and cladded out with the finest titanium and Fuji bits and I’ve owned a couple of those and found them to be lovely rods.

Like the Antares rods, I’d have to come across one at a price I’d want to take a punt on. Probably unlikely as the marksman’s command much higher prices now than Antares ever did.

I’ve never fished with a current hardy before. I’ve seen them in the flesh and they certainly look the part fitted out with the latest and greatest bits n bobs.
But then so were the latest Antares rods from Shimano which were definitely built using Japanese carbon cloth and cladded out with the finest titanium and Fuji bits and I’ve owned a couple of those and found them to be lovely rods.

Like the Antares rods, I’d have to come across one at a price I’d want to take a punt on. Probably unlikely as the marksman’s command much higher prices now than Antares ever did.
like most makes I presume, having had most of the supero range and a few of the originals, some fished better than others in my view. But of course the different lengths in that particular model probably fished differently too. The fact that I am an idiot too ensures the manufacturers and designer have an unenviable task as they have to try and accommodate all skill levels of their prospective customers.
Interesting to see how free spirit for example have changed their published production details in the latest catalogue from the earlier one I read but that's the point really, progress is sought by evolving, In the days when I had a proper job I was always looking for an "edge" over competitors. Different manufacturing techniques was but just one route.

like most makes I presume, having had most of the supero range and a few of the originals, some fished better than others in my view. But of course the different lengths in that particular model probably fished differently too. The fact that I am an idiot too ensures the manufacturers and designer have an unenviable task as they have to try and accommodate all skill levels of their prospective customers.
Interesting to see how free spirit for example have changed their published production details in the latest catalogue from the earlier one I read but that's the point really, progress is sought by evolving, In the days when I had a proper job I was always looking for an "edge" over competitors. Different manufacturing techniques was but just one route.
I’ve never known free spirit to produce complete blanks out of Japan before. I’d expect them to be immensely expensive if they did. However they have made changes that are noticeable in the float rod range. They stopped producing the original special power float rods for a couple of years claiming the blank costs were too high to continue. But then all of a sudden a new range came out that were “the same” but lighter.
I’ve had both and they ain’t the same at all
I can do things with the original that the newer version would never deal with so it does make you ask the question that’s for sure. 🤷🏻

I’ve never known free spirit to produce complete blanks out of Japan before. I’d expect them to be immensely expensive if they did. However they have made changes that are noticeable in the float rod range. They stopped producing the original special power float rods for a couple of years claiming the blank costs were too high to continue. But then all of a sudden a new range came out that were “the same” but lighter.
I’ve had both and they ain’t the same at all
I can do things with the original that the newer version would never deal with so it does make you ask the question that’s for sure. 🤷🏻
Very true. The fact that I clearly remember reading, " in Japan on our own mandrels" isn't something I would have made up. But now they have massively increased their range, ie my early fishing it was his, s , e, then a very few specials I imagine more flexibility is necessary . But I have been retired a long time and everything has changed so much. Just read for example, in bus sect s/times if one is fortunate to have a verbal conversation with booking .com it won't be with a human being.

Back