• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hardy Marksman rod discussion

Seems like there could be a business opportunity there should anyone be so inclined.
If have long mused that nothing is impossible and if enough people committed to a fair sum, say for example 2k, and someone appointed to source, the later day equivalent carbotec could be replicated. Merely requires investors and expertise. Perfection is historically always expensive. Equally ofcouurse it could be a 2k punt wasted but if u don't try etc !!!!!

I'd go for the acolytes and the change 😀👍.
Whips ain’t my thing either
But the carbon the Japanese use to build them is something quite spectacular.
It’ doesn’t need to be my type of fishing to appreciate the unreal carbon quality and serious skill used in those whips

These guys bank big catfish on those whips. No clutch no elastic just exceptionally clever carbon fibre and skills. Our imported acolytes ain’t even close to being in the same league of carbon quality, and yet, nowadays it’s the best we are able to get.

Such a shame.

It’ doesn’t need to be my type of fishing to appreciate the unreal carbon quality and serious skill used in those whips

These guys bank big catfish on those whips. No clutch no elastic just exceptionally clever carbon fibre and skills. Our imported acolytes ain’t even close to being in the same league of carbon quality, and yet, nowadays it’s the best we are able to get.

Such a shame.
To be truthful Richard I know having sold on Hermany that 40 years ago quality to them was everything. If theyvwere not happy with the product they never bothered to discussed price. Not sure if it's the same now but it's one reason I went down the sportex route.

Such a shame.

I'm not disputing the quality of the whips, their construction etc, i'm just not a fan of whips no matter how top end they are.
Japanese do export top carbons though, as an example the Touray carbon used to make the sphere rods.

I'm not disputing the quality of the whips, their construction etc, i'm just not a fan of whips no matter how top end they are.
Japanese do export top carbons though, as an example the Touray carbon used to make the sphere rods.
Yeah the spheres and free spirit and even that tfg tsi stuff all have rods made with Japanese carbon.

The carbon comes out of Japan but the rod or even finished blank doesn’t.

I don’t think well ever see anything like it again

Such a shame.
If you build the rod with top end Japanese carbon blank, like touray svf, with good fitting, the final rod price will over 400 or 500 at least. Take daiwa air z ags as an example, it’s not the latest/best daiwa blank, hvf is good but an old blank, but the finish rod is over 500

Talking expence, I've no idea what carbon was used to make the marksman rods, but there is no question it is top shelf material.
As far as i'm aware hardy shipped their own equiptment to china and their staff where there to oversea the manufacture of the marksman rods which were obviously made to a high spec and from top quality carbon.
I was told if hardy hadn't manufactured their rods in china they would have had to have had a rrp of three times the price they were rrp'd at.
I imagine the drennan acolyte rods are also made from a high quality material also. Again, imagine of the drennan acolyte rods were made here in the uk, i'm quite sure the price tag would be up there with the uk made daiwa rods.

If you build the rod with top end Japanese carbon blank, like touray svf, with good fitting, the final rod price will over 400 or 500 at least. Take daiwa air z ags as an example, it’s not the latest/best daiwa blank, hvf is good but an old blank, but the finish rod is ove

Talking expence, I've no idea what carbon was used to make the marksman rods, but there is no question it is top shelf material.
As far as i'm aware hardy shipped their own equiptment to china and their staff where there to oversea the manufacture of the marksman rods which were obviously made to a high spec and from top quality carbon.
I was told if hardy hadn't manufactured their rods in china they would have had to have had a rrp of three times the price they were rrp'd at.
I imagine the drennan acolyte rods are also made from a high quality material also. Again, imagine of the drennan acolyte rods were made here in the uk, i'm quite sure the price tag would be up there with the uk made daiwa rods.
I heard they used the Suho Corp in china which was where their fly rod blanks were made .

I read it somewhere that hardy used the carbon or blanks from Japan

interesting reading .... my friend had a days fishing with Dave Harrell on the Wye and took his Marksman float rod, Harrell said they were made in China from cheap Chinese blanks and he didn't rate them !! He was sponsored by Daiwa at the time I believe.

I read it somewhere that hardy used the carbon or blanks from Japan

Going off the excellent quality of the blanks they must have used a top shelf carbon....possibly from Japan?
I imagine there are other countries producing carbon cloth equally as good as the carbon made in Japan these days.
People still slate anything made in china, yet china can make top quality items, prolly better quality than countries produce that people rate so highly.
At the end of the day, chinease will make items to whatever spec/cost someone asks for.

Never heard this company and can’t find my information about it, maybe different spelling?
No definitely Suho. I found them on line maybe 5/6 years ago. They were doing hardy fly rods 20 years ago. The first j w young rods, ie wooden reel seat circa 2006 , were done at suho too. I had some demo rods as well as production models. John wilson and bruce vaughan speccd those rods . I was told hardy used them too gor their coarse range but wouldn't put money on it. I believe now most use Japanese blanks, ie free spirit, sportex

Going off the excellent quality of the blanks they must have used a top shelf carbon....possibly from Japan?
I imagine there are other countries producing carbon cloth equally as good as the carbon made in Japan these days.
People still slate anything made in china, yet china can make top quality items, prolly better quality than countries produce that people rate so highly.
At the end of the day, chinease will make items to whatever spec/cost someone asks for.
Absolutely 100%.
You can have anything manufactured in China to any quality standard you could possibly want.

It makes senses to have high quality products made there sometimes to keep manufacturing costs down.

Sometimes though (rightly or wrongly) it can have a negative effect and weaken a brand even one associated with prestigious quality just by making one change and producing in China.

Absolutely 100%.
You can have anything manufactured in China to any quality standard you could possibly want.

It makes senses to have high quality products made there sometimes to keep manufacturing costs down.

Sometimes though (rightly or wrongly) it can have a negative effect and weaken a brand even one associated with prestigious quality just by making one change and producing in China.
I can see that, Richard.

I believe now most use Japanese blanks, ie free spirit, sportex
They are not Japanese blanks. They are blanks made using carbon cloth that’s made in Japan. But there is a hell of a lot of stuff done to that cloth before it becomes a blank and imo the origins of the cloth is next to irrelevant

The Japanese make the best fishing rods and fixed spool reels bar none but I’m talking about a finished product coming out of Japan like the blanks that used to be produced by Diamaru
Not a blank made in Germany with Japanese cloth. It’s not the same …. Not even remotely close.

Back