• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hardy Marksman rod discussion

I’m alright at whipping but my epoxy work is not up to standard. I had that all the high build gloss done by a builder

I bought several guides n blanks tips. None of which I was happy with
I bought a browning tip that didn’t work aswell.
The one in my avenger 2000 is a maver tip. It was absolutely spot on for that rod.

What do you need exactly. Length x diameter
Length about 55cm and 4.5mm wide, I am playing with a broken rod to figure out the whole process atm.

Depending how you feel about buying from China this might be worth looking at; I bought some via Ali express. Three tips in the consignment. One broke with v little bending pressure but the other two are perfectly good quality, hollow carbon. This is a different supplier to the one I tried. There are lots of others on there too. Might be worth a try and not too expensive if it doesn't work out. Lots of them sell both solid and hollow tips.

These look like hardy imitations.

Totally. I would be pleasantly surprised if they were as good as the Hardy's, wonder if anyone on here has taken a punt on them? I'd certainly be loathe to at those prices!

Totally. I would be pleasantly surprised if they were as good as the Hardy's, wonder if anyone on here has taken a punt on them? I'd certainly be loathe to at those prices!
I have bid for 2 so far Joe. Unsuccessfully though. They were organized by dave coster of supero fame. But he left Tomas Tuner shortly after they were launched.There is a feeder, new on ebay for 170.I have bid 120 because that's what I think it worth to me. My offer was rejected. I am quite happy to accept the sales spiel ie same specc but with modern materials etc so should be better as a rod. I have had virtually all the supero,s and a few marksman so I will get one one day, just to see how they compare. At nearly 300 they were just not on!
I look at it like cars. My fishing and gardening car is a focus I bought for my wife back in 2001.I believe it was as up to date as could reasonably be expected .Its ulez compliant too which is why I still have it. Compared to the next 14 plate focus I bought for her its a joke. Does this happens with rods? No idea but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's just what they are meant to be.

I have bid for 2 so far Joe. Unsuccessfully though. They were organized by dave coster of supero fame. But he left Tomas Tuner shortly after they were launched.There is a feeder, new on ebay for 170.I have bid 120 because that's what I think it worth to me. My offer was rejected. I am quite happy to accept the sales spiel ie same specc but with modern materials etc so should be better as a rod. I have had virtually all the supero,s and a few marksman so I will get one one day, just to see how they compare. At nearly 300 they were just not on!
I look at it like cars. My fishing and gardening car is a focus I bought for my wife back in 2001.I believe it was as up to date as could reasonably be expected .Its ulez compliant too which is why I still have it. Compared to the next 14 plate focus I bought for her its a joke. Does this happens with rods? No idea but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both Dave Coster and John Bailey left.

I am interested in these rods, but I wouldn’t pay that sort money for it. And I doubt it as good as hardy, maybe they have better blanks, but there’s no way they can match the fitting on hardy rods.

that's just what they are meant to be.

Both Dave Coster and John Bailey left.

I am interested in these rods, but I wouldn’t pay that sort money for it. And I doubt it as good as hardy, maybe they have better blanks, but there’s no way they can match the fitting on hardy rods.
I will reserve judgement on the quality of finish until I actually see one but you may well be right. Yes them both leaving although at different times left a bitter taste for me. I expect to see the rods at a/d at less than half price one of these days as indeed happened to hardy.

I will reserve judgement on the quality of finish until I actually see one but you may well be right. Yes them both leaving although at different times left a bitter taste for me. I expect to see the rods at a/d at less than half price one of these days as indeed happened to hardy.
I say that because I haven’t seen a factory build rod has better finish than hardy at that price range, I mean the original price. The better ones are more expensive or custom build.

I am waiting for the discount as well, but I guess it may not happen? Hardy sold the rods half price because they quit the coarse market, but they are still a big name in fly fishing market and have big company behind them. Can TT afford the loses is a question.

I say that because I haven’t seen a factory build rod has better finish than hardy at that price range, I mean the original price. The better ones are more expensive or custom build.

I am waiting for the discount as well, but I guess it may not happen? Hardy sold the rods half price because they quit the coarse market, but they are still a big name in fly fishing market and have big company behind them. Can TT afford the loses is a question.
From the serial nos on some of my Hardy's I guess they made maybe 1000 of some of the rànge. Can't think tt will have that no but I know even now a certain manufacturer will for tackle shops do a run of 100. Dead stock is a burden however many u have. Agree with you re quality but custom like my peregrine's have to be paid for. My experience of selling into Germany many years ago was they they look for quality before they even will discuss price. My current sportex models show that still applies.

I expect to see the rods at a/d at less than half price one of these days as indeed happened to hardy.
I doubt that's going to happen. Much like Cadence, TT stuff has never sold through tackle shops. I don't suppose that they'll be cleared through shops that never got to stock them.

Length about 55cm and 4.5mm wide, I am playing with a broken rod to figure out the whole process atm.
I’ve got a tip
600 x 4 x 1
It’s a very stiff carbon tip that I must of bought for a project at some point. I’d guess 4-5oz
No good for a float rod whatsoever
Any good to you?

I doubt that's going to happen. Much like Cadence, TT stuff has never sold through tackle shops. I don't suppose that they'll be cleared through shops that never got to stock them.
to be honest Chris I think tackle shops only stock rods as a lost leader. When looking at the finance costs of running a business they are a pure waste of time and money. TT I agree are a niche seller who are successful in the own way but new rods seem a great idea ,but!
They are likely to unload the lot one day. Much like Middy did with the quatrix rods.

Just for information….

There are a number of new and used Hardy coarse rods (marksman etc etc) listed on the Glasgow Angling Centre website. I was there looking to buy some fly bits ready for a foreign trip.

I know nothing about these rods (never owned a Hardy coarse rod) so they might be rubbish/over-priced etc etc. But then again there might be a bargain in there……

Just to round up what I have decided to do with my Hardy Marksman13ft XT float rod. Selling normally for around £300.

I bought it with a broken tip, 3 inch from full length for £80 pretty much in A1 condition.
The intention is to use it as a feeder rod as I do not like the standard feeder rods with a quiver tip inserted, a bit of bend in the top couple of feet then a solid unmovable blank!

I wanted a rod that would bend smoothly down the blank. Main target will be big chub plus other silvers.

When I got the rod and having a play I thought, unsurprisingly that the tip was just a little soft, especially for casting out up to 50gr feeders.

I've taken it down from 12ft 9inch to
12ft 3inches with a new top ring. Hoping this will be exactly what I want for a feeder rod that'll bend through and prevent hook pulls.
Fingers X.

Just for information….

There are a number of new and used Hardy coarse rods (marksman etc etc) listed on the Glasgow Angling Centre website. I was there looking to buy some fly bits ready for a foreign trip.

I know nothing about these rods (never owned a Hardy coarse rod) so they might be rubbish/over-priced etc etc. But then again there might be a bargain in there……
Thanks Tim. I have had a look and yes indeed there are some bargains for a fisherman. For me, I take the rods made up so the tube and sleeve stayed at home. To get top money though the rods have to be complete. The 2 which caught my eye are the barbel and an avon. They are sold without both tube and sleeve but are good buys inho. The barbel description is maybe a little wrong. There was a twin tip barbel, which I have never seen and a 2lb barbel. Took me to 2 years to find the 2lb. I thought a bit stout. If memory serves it was a 3 pce but will check as I have the pages from the catalogue. I thought the barbel twin was a 2 pce. But anyway, if I was after either, they are shop soiled at worst and not expensive.

yep, memory playing tricks. The 2lb which I had was a 3 pce sold as a specimen. The barbel had a 1.5 avon top and a carrier section with 3 tips.
I wondered what the twin tip was from as there didn't seem to be a 12' 2pce supero float. I suspected the avon top was from either of the earlier launched range and the feeder one of either of the two x 12' feeders. Forget to ask Dave Coster when I met him too.Doh.

Back