• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Great Ebay/Internet deals deals.....

Best bargain at present is in Aldi, adjustable head lamps, batteries included £3.50. Long lasting LED light. Bought one last week.

Paul

"Long lasting LED
light. Bought one last week."
How do you know? lol

I've just sold one of those fox jobs, tbh I couldn't get on with it, I found it was tip heavy and the handle was a good 6 inches too short meaning your hands were too close together to get a decent cast, it also has a massive flat spot round the top joint and locked up too easily when playing a fish on a short line.
However, going by the biding they do have quite a cult following and I managed to get £55 more than I paid for it new, I kept expecting to see it on the ebay madness thread.:D

When I fish the Trent in future I will use my tfg 2.5Lb carp rods and mount them higher on the tripod.

Quite agree, the butt is too short and it's difficult to get the required leverage. Nevertheless it does the job. This rod combined with an equivalent reel would be quite at home on any beach - not a criticism, just an observation.

Led Caps from Aldi

bought 2 of those led caps for £8.00 bargain in most stores you cant even buy a baseball cap for that price!

bought 2 of those led caps for £8.00 bargain in most stores you cant even buy a baseball cap for that price!

Aldi have some great value barbel rod/carp rod/reel combos. Perfect for the novice or experienced angler alike. The baseball caps just finish the set-up off somehow with that "je ne sais quoi".

The bags are great, pity thay don't produce a slightly larger version.

Last edited:
Quite agree, the butt is too short and it's difficult to get the required leverage. Nevertheless it does the job. This rod combined with an equivalent reel would be quite at home on any beach - not a criticism, just an observation.
I concentrate on two types of fishing.Beachcasting on the Holderness coast and river fishing on the lower parts of the tidal trent.During most of the run offs the tackle required differs very little,although whats needed and whats used are two different things.When people talk of the Tidal Trent they usually think of the upper reaches,lower down is a different tale altogether.

You should pop down our way if you want bigger ones Jim....dear Lord there are some big bags wandering around down here :p

Cheers, Dave

Sounds just what I'm looking for, Dave. I tend to take a fair bit of kit with me can you get plenty of stuff in them? Would you consider that they can accomodate enough tackle for a decent session, maybe an overnighter or a weekend at a push?

Sounds just what I'm looking for, Dave. I tend to take a fair bit of kit with me can you get plenty of stuff in them? Would you consider that they can accomodate enough tackle for a decent session, maybe an overnighter or a weekend at a push?

The way some of these are built, it may take you that long to find your way in Jim. Still, there are some big old handles to hang on to, and I gather they are really easy to pick up. Another plus is the amount of padding they have...I would imagine once you found a way to get your tackle in there, you would be ready to rock and roll. I know a new bag can make you feel down in the mouth at times, but you will be fine with one of these....just don't let it get on top of you mate.

Cheers, Dave.

The way some of these are built, it may take you that long to find your way in Jim. Still, there are some big old handles to hang on to, and I gather they are really easy to pick up. Another plus is the amount of padding they have...I would imagine once you found a way to get your tackle in there, you would be ready to rock and roll. I know a new bag can make you feel down in the mouth at times, but you will be fine with one of these....just don't let it get on top of you mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Mmm, this sounds all very interesting, Dave. Are these bags to order and can they accommodate 2l bottles of coke. I would probably want something with straps on, well made, and preferably a water proof bottom - a bag with a wet bottom is tiresome as I have had experience of these in the past. I hope that you have had a chance to look at Andy's post on "Neil saved me", very disturbing. I'm not sure whether I should get more involved. You always come up with sound advice, and any such would be appreciated.

Jim - i take it you are after a big bag with a detachable strap on in addition to a decent pair of handles? Just make sure the opening is secure as some of the big bags i've seen look a bit loose and you don't want your tackle falling out all over the place. I'd avoid the ones with the rigid frame - they are a bit cumbersome for getting around - oh and stay well clear of those with hard base, nowt but trouble them ones.

Mmm, this sounds all very interesting, Dave. Are these bags to order and can they accommodate 2l bottles of coke. I would probably want something with straps on, well made, and preferably a water proof bottom - a bag with a wet bottom is tiresome as I have had experience of these in the past. I hope that you have had a chance to look at Andy's post on "Neil saved me", very disturbing. I'm not sure whether I should get more involved. You always come up with sound advice, and any such would be appreciated.

Jim, I gather that these bags unfortunately are often out of order, but a good hard googling session seems to sort that out. They do take a lot of coke Jim, but 21 bottles....not sure about that mate, that sort of quantity is not to be sniffed at. Fortunately, as Andrew said, the do come with a strap on...which can be handy if you can't manage any other way. I understand your worries on that score mate....just looking at the size of them can make you droop at times. Oh, and don't worry about the damp bottom problem. Some of the newer bags leak all over the place, but these can go long night sessions and everything without one. You can lay them on the damp patch without issues at all mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Jim, I gather that these bags unfortunately are often out of order, but a good hard googling session seems to sort that out. They do take a lot of coke Jim, but 21 bottles....not sure about that mate, that sort of quantity is not to be sniffed at. Fortunately, as Andrew said, the do come with a strap on...which can be handy if you can't manage any other way. I understand your worries on that score mate....just looking at the size of them can make you droop at times. Oh, and don't worry about the damp bottom problem. Some of the newer bags leak all over the place, but these can go long night sessions and everything without one. You can lay them on the damp patch without issues at all mate.

Cheers, Dave.

This reminds me of a friend who told me that he had a lot of equipment and was looking for a suitable tackle bag. He sourced one that was Made in Egypt. If I remember correctly, the bag was an XXXL and his tackle was lost in the bottom of the bag so didn't fit the bill. His next purchase was from the Far East and this proved far more suitable.

Just goes to show the value of forums - take the time to consider your options before choosing a bag and get it right first time. One final word of warning - be carefull with very large bags with an extra long strap on as these could potentially damage your back.

Just goes to show the value of forums - take the time to consider your options before choosing a bag and get it right first time. One final word of warning - be carefull with very large bags with an extra long strap on as these could potentially damage your back.

Good lord, this is starting to sound like a draft script for "50 Shades Of Blue".

I won a bag in a raffle recently, and it handled all my tackle with ease, even with the strap on. Could navigate easily once i had sussed out all the contours. Top things on the right occasion.

Stephen

Back