• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Went for a long exciting drive....roads challenging from Ross to Builth Wells!!!

Struggled mountain goat style on first beats without a bite. Walked to town stretch and did finally get a few bites with 6 brownies and 2 nice grayling. Stunning scenery. Will return when Salmon season finished

New PB!!

Only takes one bite to transform a season. That's the beauty and wonder of fishing. A tricky days fishing on a southern chalk stream with a very cold biting wind making trotting difficult and uncomfortable.

But none of that mattered when a 3.9 grayling arrived! Many thanks to Tim Lennon and his mate Mark for being on hand to help land and then weigh the fish.

An angling experience I will cherish for some considerable time and goes along way to erase an incredibly difficult season on the Kennet.

Well done Howard! That is a stonking grayling,....well deserved for persevering in that bitter wind,....please don't tell me you caught it on trotted garlic spam!:D

Thanks chaps. It was certainly a reminder of how fishing can sometimes surprise you. Normally I use the word "surprise" in sentences like "well the conditions were perfect for barbel. I'm so surprised I didn't get a touch in 20 hours of fishing".

Photo attached- I wasn't the most compliant subject and you will note how the fish has recently escaped from the Black Death, or Cormorant as it's also known.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 876
What a stunner.

Well done Howard. Thats a fantastic fish. Yes. A real lifetime fish.

Very pleased for you.

Graham

Stunning fish, I'm sure you're over the moon!

I might venture down to the thames tomorrow as temps look good - the surprise would be if anything took an interest in my hookbait!

As many have said though, that's the reason we love fishing rivers!

I'm a bit of out of touch with the angling press, but is the weekly / monthly Drennan Award still going? If so then a 3.9 grayling would get my vote!

With the weather turning cooler I decided to go for a trotting session on the Dee today. Good sport from 30+ grayling, none huge, but kept the blood pumping, just as well because most of the time I was wading and the water is definitely getting cool!

Been doing a bit of Grayling fishing recently with some success,where i have been fishing the average size is about a pound and there is plenty of them so its great sport !
Now and again i bump into larger fish around the 2 lb mark and maybe even bigger but they always come off,just wondering what type / pattern hook you guys recommend ?
I have been using Drennan micro barb supper spades !
Dave

Back