• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

flyfishing day.

I sneaked out yesterday afternoon to Farmoor not expecting much as the rod average has been pretty low from the bank. Did C&R a few trout, including a nice brownie taken on buzzers and Diawl Bach.
I had a nice surprise too.
fly_caught_pike.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well done Paul.

Reminded me of the chap who had a 14 we netted for him.

He was shaking all over with excitement. Great fun.

G

Well done Paul.

Reminded me of the chap who had a 14 we netted for him.

He was shaking all over with excitement. Great fun.

G

Yeah there's the photo of it still in the wardens office. Short but stocky pike with a huge head. Nice to be on hand to help him out with landing and handling properly.
There's also some massive bream in there. Must have been more than 10 years ago when I witnessed a fly caught 16lber.

Fingers crossed the trout fishing picks up this week. I had to cast a full line yesterday on F1, and the takes were coming as the flies dropped. F2 is fishing better with fish being caught closer in, as the weed growth is a little ahead according to the warden.

Paul Said

"I had to cast out a full line yesterday"

(Better take my 4oz leads then!)

For those that have never been before, here is the link with address and details.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/about-us/3604.htm"

I won't be leaving home till 7.30 (if Richard turns up on time!!!)

So I guess arrival about 8.30am.

I suggest we meet at Tackle shop. For those with no tackle and those also carrying beetroot and cheese sandwiches and fine wine I would do the following.

Park in main carpark as you enter, parking the car near the slope you can see opposite the entrance. Walk up the hill bearing left as you come up to the first building and turn right so the reservoir is immediately on your left. Keep going right past the buildings and pretty much the tackle shop is on your right at the end of the buildings.

Its quite an expansive water so although the wind and weather forcast for Sat is not bad it can be quite chilly when the wind gets up so bare that in mind.

Note on some routes to Famoor you actually cross a toll bridge so have about 5p ready!

If Steve or Paul want to add some detail please do.

Cheers

Graham

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, most helpful. Also, given the general weather conditions and in particular the chilly wind, I am thinking that the fine wine should be white. I will be dropping into Waitrose on Thursday evening so any last minute food or drink requests.......

All sounds good Graham. That is a cracking pike Paul. I once saw one lying in the margin that you could have put a saddle on.

It will definitely be windy and lots of layers are advisable. It can be a bit daunting casting a size 14 buzzer into 160 acres of water that looks like the North Sea but they are often under the rod tip.

I will arrive at about 8.30 a.m. See you all there!

Steve

Thanks Graham....0830 sounds perfect. Really looking forward to meeting you all :)

Just had a thought. Anyone who hasn't fly fished might not appreciate the need to wear some sort of eye protection so if you don't wear glasses make sure you have some sunglasses. A hook in the eye is guaranteed to spoil your day.

Steve

Well it was quite windy.....and chilly and the trout were pretty reluctant to take but sport improved considerably in the Afternoon.

I was worried about the low turnout but in the end it probably was about the right number and what we lacked in numbers we made up for in expertise!

Firstly thanks to the tutors, Paul, Steve Reed and Tim for devoting so much of their fishing time to help Richard, Mark and Howard. In fact Steve Reeds expertise helped Richard to manage the only trout of the morning, your truly managing to lose one!

After a superb lunch and the odd glass of wine, much kindly provided by Howard, we returned to the water and sport woke up to a degree.

Paul showing us all the way, with much skill, managing about 8 trout up to over 3lb. And happy to share his self tied flies to all.

Steve, after spending a lot of his time tutoring Richard also caught a few and Howard assisted by Paul managed a couple. I managed 3 plus a pike of about 5lb.

The fishing was very patchy with the fish taking buzzers and nymphs in the lower half of the water.

The most important part was of course the camaraderie and the craic between us all, and there are a couple more anglers who are inspired to give fluff flinging a go in the future.

I would encourage posters to look back at the other BFW Fly fishing days in the Articles section, and if we do another join us. No doubt Paul will share some pics of the day.

Once again. A BIG thank you to those that helped other anglers aquire new skills.
(self not included!)

Graham

A selection of images capturing the fun we had.

Rich, Graham, Howard, Steve, Mark and the bearded one.

This time with Tim on the right.

Graham hanging on
IMG_4514.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Graham hung on and didn't lose this one.

Howard looking the part

..and rewarded for his efforts

Steve into a good rainbow

Nice plump over wintered fish going back

Thanks to Graham for organising the day, and to the other gents for making it one to remember. Lets hope the next day we have here the fishing is a little easier. :)

Many thanks for organising a great day Graham. Thanks also to Paul for taking the photos and providing a fly fishing masterclass. Those poor trout didn't stand chance!

Steve

Back