• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

flyfishing day.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone interested in a day at farmoor. Oxford. flyfishing ( I have a spare rod etc if needed)

If we can get 10 or so we could make it BFW DAY?. Say in 3 or so weeks.
Im sure we could arrange to help any novices that fancy it.

Graham

I would be up for this Graham, depending on the date. I have fished there quite a bit. Hopefully with some warmer weather we would be on to floating lines etc.

Cheers.

Steve

Should get some buzzer hatches by then so will be good sport. Count me in Graham. I'll get a pass once I know the date.

Looks like you and me Steve!

In the earlier days of BFW we would have had nearly 20 people taking the opportunity of meeting together for a fly fish.

Graham

Added. Hi Paul.
Now all 3!

Last edited:
Hi Graham-yes let me know the likely date and I will see if I can make myself free. I WILL need to borrow stuff and I WILL need help as I have never fly fished before. Ever. But happy to have a go and don't mind making a t*t of myself.

Hi Graham-yes let me know the likely date and I will see if I can make myself free. I WILL need to borrow stuff and I WILL need help as I have never fly fished before. Ever. But happy to have a go and don't mind making a t*t of myself.

Howard, assuming I can make the date I can lend you some gear and help you with casting. You don't need a big cast on Farmoor if conditions are favourable. They'll be patrolling the weed bed close in hopefully.

You will enjoy it Howard. Im just past novice stage but I know a man who is the db's and who helped me.

It'll stop him catching far more than me for a time anyway!!!!

I will wait couple days and see pref day or date for all.

Any more to join this fine group of fellows?

Added. There you are Howard. Ha. Who stalking who...:D

Last edited:
When you firm up a date may well try to bring a West Country contingent.

That would be great if you could Clive.

We could have a cider vrs beer drinkers comp.

Or thinking about the people so far.

Salad boys vs pie eaters.:eek:

That would be great if you could Clive.

We could have a cider vrs beer drinkers comp.

Or thinking about the people so far.

Salad boys vs pie eaters.:eek:

I'm on salad at the moment but would struggle to say no to a good pie :D

The fishing style at Farmoor always amuses me, the old boys cast out buzzers with a booby and then sit down on seat boxes, putting the rod down and the spool off the reel on the floor, and just wait for a take, very bizzare the first time I saw it!!

I'm on salad at the moment but would struggle to say no to a good pie :D

The fishing style at Farmoor always amuses me, the old boys cast out buzzers with a booby and then sit down on seat boxes, putting the rod down and the spool off the reel on the floor, and just wait for a take, very bizzare the first time I saw it!!

Remember those bad old days. Banned that method now Crooky so you can't use it :p The fly has to move, but you can still fish a booby on F2, just not on F1.

Graham, I'm assuming we fish F1 (catch and release) rather than F2. Are you thinking the same? Larger stamp of trout and it's nicer to put them back. :)

If there's room for another tackle-less novice, I'd like to give it a go.

Failing that, can I use cheesepaste? Had two trout from the Loddon and Blackwater on it at the start of the month. :)

Remember those bad old days. Banned that method now Crooky so you can't use it :p The fly has to move, but you can still fish a booby on F2, just not on F1.

Graham, I'm assuming we fish F1 (catch and release) rather than F2. Are you thinking the same? Larger stamp of trout and it's nicer to put them back. :)

Good shout Paul, some very nice brownies in F1 too (or were) big rainbows too. Blobs are good too.

If there's room for another tackle-less novice, I'd like to give it a go.

Failing that, can I use cheesepaste? Had two trout from the Loddon and Blackwater on it at the start of the month. :)

I have spare rods, reels and lines too.

Ian - do you have any more spare gear? Haven't been fly fishing for years. Can't make 25.4 - 2.5, but would otherwise like to give it a try if possible.

Back