• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fluorocarbon

I've tried Gamma too. It is pretty good, very reliable.
I still have a soft spot for Grand Max Riverge though. It's just so soft, yet never had any problems with it's abrasion resistance.

Have used IQ without issue and now using Gardner Mirage which is available on big spools at a nice price and seems to perform as well as anything else I've used. About £12 for 100m instead of the usual 20m.

ESP Ghost Soft in 10lbs for me too, palomar or a simple double loop. The stuff is pretty good IMHO !! IQ is a good one too, but Ghost is cheaper.
As far as the Drennan Fly Leader goes, I am led to believe that it floats !?!?
Vanish ?? Utter pants !!!
I believe that Krystonite is a good line too ?!?

Very interresting - X-line every time for me , but it is stiff - but never let me down . Every other fluoro I've tried has let me down in one way or other - though not even heard of some mentioned here . Glad to see we all agree about the vanish though - quite simply dangerous stuff . Funilly enough , Berkley vanish transition { a goldish colour } is without doubt my leader of choice for bass fishing - but havn't seen it recently .
Anyway - X-line rules now for bass and barbel .

Found it great for helping to avoid tangles when casting far with a heavy feeder and a small bait on a long hook length. Had no need for any kind of anti tangle rig sleeve etc.

That's because it is stiff as old boots! Seems like the barbel don't seem to mind though :confused:

Makes you wonder why we use braid?

All in all I think we make too much of this rig business. We should maybe talk a lot more about barbel location and behaviour.

Stephen

That's because it is stiff as old boots! Seems like the barbel don't seem to mind though :confused:

Makes you wonder why we use braid?

All in all I think we make too much of this rig business. We should maybe talk a lot more about barbel location and behaviour.

Stephen

I recently watched the barbel days and ways series again and the underwater footage is fascinating. It's just a snap shot of course of how certain barbel in certain rivers at certain times behaved, but hopefully enough to provide good insight.

One conclusion, arguably, when it comes to line (main and hook length) was that barbel are spooked far more by what they can't see. They will happily feed with weed etc draped across their snouts. But if they bump into something they haven't seen and don't like how it feels, particularly if its taught line, then they are off.

This has always made me wonder about the general benefits of fluorocarbon and why, particularly on my local Kennet, I would favour a soft, supple, sinking braid hook length. So whilst one of the great sells in terms of fluorocarbon is the fact that it is nearly invisible in water (and I know that this can diminish over time and use in the water), arguably that isn't The great benefit we might imagine based on how barbel can behave. That said, I used it on the Wye principally because of the anti tangle properties and the risk of abrasion.

Like so many things with fishing, the contrasting experiences folk have with rigs and bait can make it difficult to establish any hard and fast rules. I am sure that in large part, this is down to the feeding behaviour of the fish and in particular the level of feeding aggression. If they are hungry and having to compete for food then they become far easier to catch irrespective of what kind of buffer bead you might be using. I guess there is also a point around targeting a single, nomadic fish, compared to a large shoal.

Riverge grand max in 12lb I find very good and strong, ive uad a little problam with this getting cut off on razor sharp rock but I dont think any braid or flurocarbon couls stop this.

Another shout for X line for both mainline and hooklengths. A little pricey but its a quality product thats NEVER let me down. If thats not the kiss of death then.....

I've tried Gamma too. It is pretty good, very reliable.
I still have a soft spot for Grand Max Riverge though. It's just so soft, yet never had any problems with it's abrasion resistance.

Grand Max Riverge for me too. It seems more supple (as Damian says) than other fluoros I've tried and has a low diameter for the strength.

Anybody except me tie fluoro with thr Mahseer knot. Here is a fluoro I have used for over five seasons and that I cannot fault at all. Sunline sniper super ffc, possibly the best available on the market imo.

Grand Max Riverge for me too. It seems more supple (as Damian says) than other fluoros I've tried and has a low diameter for the strength.

Just taken delivery of the soft-plus. It's yummy it is, very supple and soft compared to most I have handled. Might give it a whirl on my next trip out.

Back