• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fluorocarbon

Always used the Korda IQ. But thought I would give the Gamma edge a go as its a lot cheaper than the IQ. Ordered it 12 noon yesterday from the BFW Shop arrived this morning 8am. Thanks Andy for a quick delivery.

Regards Ray Thorpe

The point made about fish spooking from things they can't see - a wee memoir from many yers ago .
A very good and well known carp angler was fishing a swim that involved basically margin fishing from a high bank into 15ft of gin clear water .
Some very big carp were feeding but 'uncatcheable' as they spooked from anyone's lines , no matter how it seems they tried to conceal them .
This chap caught a 30 plus and I witnessed it , when unhooking etc I saw his rig and questioned him , he was very open about it . He'd put a 'shock leader ' of 30lb black amnesia which he fished straight up { but not too tight } from lead and a standard 9''hooklength .
When I chatted to him about it he simply said ' don't see carp running into reeds do you , they swim round them ' . I was blown away by the simplicity of his reasoning - he'd tried repeatedly to catch with normal tactics . I would add that he went on to catch a couple more before the swim died a few weeks later . In the interim no-one ese caught .
So simple - !!!

Good Move Ray. Hope you are as happy as I am with it.

Likewise ordered items from BFW shop, arrived next day. Brilliant. They still have the enterprise snagfree. get them while you can.

Graham

Good Move Ray. Hope you are as happy as I am with it.

Likewise ordered items from BFW shop, arrived next day. Brilliant. They still have the enterprise snagfree. get them while you can.

Graham

Well hoping the Gamma is good Graham, One thing which was a bit confusing. Is I ordered The 11lb Bs and got sent the 8lb with a note saying the 8lb breaks at 11lb. Did you have the same thing when you brought your Gamma.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Last edited:
Yes. It was mislabelled I believe.

I van only say it hasn't let me down with 5 fish over 30lb on lakes.

G

Ok Thanks will give it a go on The Wye next week. Also got some Berkley Trilene Fluoro that Howard recommended. Will give both a go. Its a lot cheaper than the Korda IQ at £8.99 for 20m.

Ray

Good call foxy, I will get some more of those lead clips and the tulip beads plus i will give that gamma edge a go as well.

Just to throw this in the mix, my hooklink of choice is 30lb black amnesia carrying the hair straight through, it'll go in but cant come out, takes getting used to but it works

Thanks for all the replies guys - decided on the korda iq - am just sat at work tying my rigs now for my session tonight!

hope my knots hold

Just taken delivery of the soft-plus. It's yummy it is, very supple and soft compared to most I have handled. Might give it a whirl on my next trip out.

Take care, 'Soft Plus' is to fluoro like 'double strength' is to mono. I use it for crucians etc but found it had no impact strength. I used it for bolt rig fishing for tench and unless I had the baitrunner set loose was getting broken on the take. I was experimenting with it as I had good experiences with Riverge 'Reel Soft' which I see nobody has mentioned. That is probably because the only place I know that sells it is Leslies of Luton. It is designed for use as a main line but makes a great end rig and is tough enough for barbel fishing and more supple than Grand Max.

Alan

Take care, 'Soft Plus' is to fluoro like 'double strength' is to mono. I use it for crucians etc but found it had no impact strength. I used it for bolt rig fishing for tench and unless I had the baitrunner set loose was getting broken on the take. I was experimenting with it as I had good experiences with Riverge 'Reel Soft' which I see nobody has mentioned. That is probably because the only place I know that sells it is Leslies of Luton. It is designed for use as a main line but makes a great end rig and is tough enough for barbel fishing and more supple than Grand Max.

Alan

Thanks Alan and I can see what you mean so I will take care. Had a 9.2 barbel on the weekend with it so, so far so good.

Cheers.

I used to have Riverge Reel Soft as a mainline until recently (had it on for 3 seasons) and it was excellent. Now have Gardner Mirage which I'm not so happy with as a mainline as it's a bit springy and has a tendency to tangle at the reel. For hooklength I have just bought some Grand Max. I always use the palomar knot with flouros as I've had too many bad experiences using other knots.

Nick C

Back