• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fluorocarbon

Chris Cheshire

Never had much dealing with fluorocarbon in the past, and i'm going to give it proper chance.

Can anyone tell me the differences between brands or if they have a favourite?

Atb

Chris

Chris,

So many brands to try you would be hard pressed to get an informed comparison from anyone other than an opinion regarding the one they use. So with that in mind I can say that the relatively cheap and cheerful stuff from Drennan in 10lb breaking strain has never given me cause for concern

Assume we are talking hook length material here. On the Kennet I don't really bother with it and prefer sinking braid. But on the Wye I used it exclusively. I went for Berkley Trilene and was very impressed. It was extremely robust and didn't fail me once. Found it great for helping to avoid tangles when casting far with a heavy feeder and a small bait on a long hook length. Had no need for any kind of anti tangle rig sleeve etc.

As Richard says-many to choose from. If you want something softer and a little more supple, I have found the Gardner Target stuff pretty good.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have found both Drennan Flyleader and Kryston Incognito to be reliable when barbel fishing, also worth mentioning only use knotless knots, figure of 8 loops and Palomar knots with this material.

Chris, I've used a few and with the notable exception of Berkely Vanish have found them all good. Personal fav is ESP Soft Ghost Fluorocarbon which is readily available at a good price. Used this on Wye and numerous other rivers, very robust hooklength matreial. Btw, the Maui Jims are great !!

Have found both Drennan Flyleader and Kryston Incognito to be reliable when barbel fishing, also worth mentioning only use knotless knots, figure of 8 loops and Palomar knots with this material.

be a bit careful on this one, I've found different from the above! (but never tried the two versions above so it may be true for them)

Seaguar flouro for instance yields a much higher knot strength using a tucked half blood knot, and most flouro's I've tried are weak using a knotless knot.

Generally i hate the stuff, but theres no doubt that with the right combination of brand and knot they can be an advantage over mono/braid etc.

Whichever version you try be sure to test using different knots until you find a reliable combination.

Chris, I've used a few and with the notable exception of Berkely Vanish have found them all good. Personal fav is ESP Soft Ghost Fluorocarbon which is readily available at a good price. Used this on Wye and numerous other rivers, very robust hooklength matreial. Btw, the Maui Jims are great !!

Pleased to hear it Cliff!

Thanks guys for your responses.

This is the knot im currently using for all my rigs.... (not sure what its called tho)

knot.gif

ESP Ghost great hook length.

Korda IQ soft is the best I have used as a hooklengh. The knot a Grinner every time. Howard I have just ordered some Berkley Trilene Fluorocarbon to try on The Wye as its a lot cheaper than the Korda IQ.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Korda IQ soft is the best I have used as a hooklengh. The knot a Grinner every time. Howard I have just ordered some Berkley Trilene Fluorocarbon to try on The Wye as its a lot cheaper than the Korda IQ.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

I was using 10lb Ray and a knotless knot for the hook (mostly size 12) and a palomar knot for the quick change link. No breakages whatsoever. After a few fish I just needed to change the hook length but that was just me being cautious and wanting to keep a sharp hook in place. I went up to 4ft hook lengths and as mentioned before, no tangles on the cast.

Cheers

Is Berkely Vanish the stuff that goes a wierd orange colour?

Agreed the berkeley stuff is garbage, never had a problem with the korda or kryston gear.

Do you reckon there is a difference between the Berkely Trilene and Vanish? As I said I used the Trilene on the Wye and had absolutely no problem with it-a lot of fish were caught on it too.

Howard

I have been trialing Gamma Edge, in the BFW shop, in the 11lb bs.

Had 4 fish for 144lb without problem.

Graham

Chris , personally I would go with a palomor knot all the time. The grinner knot , can tighten down weakening the line just above the the knot. :D

Back