• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flourocarbon

Hi lewis
I was using 12 lbs krystonite on the Wye the weekend a lost a number of barbal , rocks snags ect krystonite aint tough enough ,so be warned.

atb
Paul

same here! I was using 12lb ghost and lost fish. Switched to mono and didnt loose any.

I use 20lb fluoro for all my Barbelling, havent had a breakage yet.

Hi guys

Had a trip back to the wye yesterday and this morning this time loaded up with Big Game,,had no trouble landing a couple of hard fighting Barbal.
I think krystonite has a short spool life ,so may big game !!.

So ill be line changing a lot more often this winter:).

paul

John riverge is another trout tippet that I use but mainly in lower b.s as it is almost 'too fine 'for me. Keep experimenting though. Not sure the uk fluoro is as good as the us stuff yet though.

When i did use fluro i used the wychwood fast sinking trout stuff..if memory serves me right it goes up to 10lb which is 0.25mm dia and to be honest is very strong stuff and dont cost much either..;)

When i did use fluro i used the wychwood fast sinking trout stuff..if memory serves me right it goes up to 10lb which is 0.25mm dia and to be honest is very strong stuff and dont cost much either..;)

The low cost is easily attributable; it ain't been manufactured for the specimen genre of coarse fishing.;) ;) :rolleyes:

Cos big fish mean big EASY bucks!:eek: :(

Have used Krystons incognito in 12lb for hooklengths this year on the Kennet and the Teme with decent results, no breakages and sinks really well. What i dont understand is how do they charge £7 for a 50m spool when Korda charge more for a 20m spool of there Fluoro. Always use mono for mainline as it's cheap and never seems to let me down.

Apologies for repeating myslelf, but do be sure to check out tiger line, superb abraision resistance and sinks like a brick. Sinking I suppose is not that critical for barbel fishing but on stillwaters for carp I no longer have a need for backleads! It has been highly praised by many of the carp guys who know about it and use it.

I have found Krystonite to be pretty poor tbh, you may as well use powergum as a mainline the stretch is ridiculous, and Big game is a bit too wirey for my liking.

Tiger line is reasonably expensive though (as most Flouros are), but if you weigh up the cost of all the lines you've tried and not to mention those lost fish, it's well worth it. I have no association with them, and it is is rare that I would promote a product as much as this, it really is that good!

Last edited:
This season I am using Korda Subline in 10lb BS (mainline) and have found it to be very strong. I have not lost a fish to a breakage yet. I have straitened Fox Arma points and Gardner talon tip hooks when pulling out of snags the line is hard to break.
I am using various Suffix braided hook links but find the camo skin 15lb bs a very good product and at £6 for 20m good value.

Hi All,

Richard Parsons mentioned to me the riverge soft plus fluoro so i purchased a spool of 13.7bs. which is only 023mm, very limp and soft material, tried it for the first time yesterday and hooked a very big barbel that put up a tremendous scrap but got it to the net ok so im impressed with the stuff:)

Be Lucky

Fantastic result John! I saw the pic too and it's a marvellous fish. A long fight followed by a landed fish always reaffirms confidence in the set up. I'll have to get some as I'm still finishing off a batch of Grand Max.

Maybe you'll catch your PB on it next time you're fishing :)

Richard that would be nice:) But the soft plus is a good product use it with confidence....Quite a time ago i lost a couple of fish on another brand fluro hooklink that i had used for years and that had landed me a lot of fish, the hooklink had parted over the hook eye using the knotless knot so sadly i no longer use the knotless knot, i tried the korda choddy hooks with the out turned eye keeping the eye and the line in a straight line when under tension but even the size 12's were to big for what i wanted...

Hi Richard,

Yes mostly i do i cant see the point in changing over to say braid if the river is carrying colour for instance, i have confidence in the fluorocarbon though if the river is clear and the fish finicky i might try a fluoro/braid combi link...

Be lucky.

Back