• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flourocarbon

I'd not use flurocarbon as a mainline for all the tea in China. Braid for the big rivers and a tough mono for smaller rivers. I will use fluro for hooklinks though and I'm increasingly wary of finer diameters after some dubious experiences. Drennan Ghost (or the soft version) in 10lb+ breaking strains seems to have better abrasion resistance than most even if it is at the expense of limpness and diameter.

Fox 'Soft Steel' (NOT the camo)

Dave,
have you had specific problems with Soft Steel Camo? I've always been a fan of Soft Steel, subtle it ain't but tough as old boots it certainly is. I've used Camo as well as standard for the first time this year and hadn't noticed any problems so far.

Worth seeking out Sunline FC Sniper recommended on here a few months back. I've used nothing else since buying a spool on ebay (can't remember who posted the info but THANK YOU!).

Noone sells it domestically, but it's worth importing. Very supple with a lower diameter than Big Game for breaking strain - 10lb is .26 / 12lb is .285

Tough, supple and as bomb proof as Big Game despite being a fluoro. Really impressed with it. You can source 150m for about £17-20 from Japan or the US which given the price of 20m spool of fluoro hooklink material in the UK is a bargain in my book.

I've not lost a fish on it, and I know my catch rates have improved since using it.

p.s. the slight stiffness of fluoro can be used to create a bent hook style arrangement when paired with a hook with an inturned eye ;)

Hi Richard,

Yes i used the grand max as a hooklink a couple of seasons ago after reading good reports of the material and yes its nice and limp but the fineness put me off, i suppose that i used a bs of around the 10lb. mark and it was so thin that it frightened me:eek: I suppose in hindsight i should have used a much higher bs and still ended up with a nice limp supple hooklink, i still might try that....What bs are you using?

Hi John - I use the 14.5lb bs version. It's still only .260mm....which is pretty remarkable for the strength. It does the job for me on a very snaggy river. I see, however, there's a new version (apparently 10% stronger) called Soft Plus, so might give that a try next time I buy.....

http://www.banksidetackle.com/shop/grand-max-soft-plus-fluorocarbon.html

Thank you for the info Richard, I was looking at the grand max soft plus a little more expensive but more line on spool, is anyone using the soft plus as i would like your opinions of the material.....:)

I find the problem with kyrstonite is it seems to go a little brittle after a period of time. So I dont use it now. X-line is better, and it makes and excellent hooklength material as it's very heavy so sits nicely on the bottom.

Mainline in coloured water for me has to be suffix excelon (spelling). Very abrasion resistant, good knots - but not a fluro - but im not sure its as important as some people think it is. But then the rivers i fish rarely run clear.

ESP carp mono shouldn't be ignored if you're not bothered by it not being a fluro.

Fluoro

Hi All,

You have to remember that Krystonite is a coated line and not a true fluorocarbon,I have used it for years on the Trent and never had a problem,the trouble with line is one mans meat is another mans poison and once you become confident in it you tend to stick to that brand.I have tried the Xline for carping and didnt like it-loads of memory and twist but then again people say that about Krystonite which I dont seem to suffer from.I also use it as hooklink material now for low and clear conditions-cheap as chips for that

there are some good examples of lines in this thread you just have to try a few out before you settle on one that suits you.

Matt

Hi All,

You have to remember that Krystonite is a coated line and not a true fluorocarbon,I have used it for years on the Trent and never had a problem,the trouble with line is one mans meat is another mans poison and once you become confident in it you tend to stick to that brand.I have tried the Xline for carping and didnt like it-loads of memory and twist but then again people say that about Krystonite which I dont seem to suffer from.I also use it as hooklink material now for low and clear conditions-cheap as chips for that

there are some good examples of lines in this thread you just have to try a few out before you settle on one that suits you.

Matt

That about sums it up, Matt.....as with rods, reels, etc, etc.....but you can't beat a good chinwag with other like-minded souls :)

That about sums it up, Matt.....as with rods, reels, etc, etc.....but you can't beat a good chinwag with other like-minded souls :)

Absolutely Richard,

I always think it a bit silly when some people state there is only one line/reel/rod/whatever in the whole world worth using.....the one they use, full stop, because there are loads of decent samples of everything out there. Quite why it is that some people have huge problems with one particular brand/type of whatever, while others find it the best thing since sliced bread, is a total mystery....but it is a fact, so no good getting all hot under the collar over it :D

On the other hand, I find it equally silly when some folk get all worked up about threads such as this, because as you say, a good chin wag and a chance to air and compare your experiences with all things angling can be good fun, and often very useful if a particular item really is tat and needs exposing as such. At the end of the day, if you hate a particular type of thread, just smile and quickly pass on to the next one that does grab you...simple :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
One thing ive noticed when using fluro for hooklengths in the past is the fact your hook does not always sit properly on the bottom..The hook sits up off the bottom which is no good if your fishing clear rivers due to it sticking out like a sore thumb!!..I often thought that maybe thats why some times you get the bites and others you dont due to the hook position on the river bed..Since using braid as mainline and also hooklengths i wouldent go back to fluro or mono..But as someone has rightly already said whats good for one man is no good fro another..:)

Hi Craig - I haven't noticed that (I can see the bottom of my local river) and wonder why? The fluoro I use is pretty supple so I'd expect a pretty good presentation, comparable to mono. I don't use fluoro exclusively however, but do have confidence in it.

Dave - very well put :)

Hi rich....try it in a container of water and you will see what i mean especially with boilies or pellets..if you drop it in a few times you will notice it does not always sit in a suitable position..;)

frog hair/korda iq

Hi
After reading this thread decided to buy some frog hair fluoro as it is much thinner than the korda iq i've been using with great success this year (five in my last session, 2 of which were doubles in 3.5 hours on the Kennet).

Since having probs with snapping up when using fluoro last year i always test new hooklengths to make sure i know what they can hold, here is my results.

Korda IQ 12lb (0.35mm)- Breaks at 12.1lb
Frog Hair 13.2lb (0.28mm)- Breaks at 8.8lb

Both snapped on the line not the knots, so it wasn't the fault of my tying and were tested a couple of times each

Will be going back to the IQ. It might be thicker but pinned down on the deck it works for me and the Kennet Barbel- Frog hair -be careful only seems to hold 2/3rds of its stated breaking strain.

Stewart

Back