• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flourocarbon

Lewis Anderson

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there is much difference in flourocarbon today as opposed to five years ago. Im currently using krystonite.

Hi lewis
I was using 12 lbs krystonite on the Wye the weekend a lost a number of barbal , rocks snags ect krystonite aint tough enough ,so be warned.

atb
Paul

Hi men ,

Gama " the edge " fluro is the best iv used , but it may become haed to find as I hear it may be discontinued in England .

Hatter

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply,

Do u reccomend that i just use a monofilament line or could u recommend a better flourocarbon which is more up to the job?

Krystonite is not pure fluorocarbon, but a coated mono! X-line is good stuff, pretty tough, the edge is OK, but not as good as X-line, using seaguar at the moment for salmon, seems good, no problems except the price?
peter

I use Korda IQ soft fluro 10lb under nomal conditions, and Suffix Inviserline 12lb when near snags, not had any problems. On the Wye i use 10lb maxima as a hook length, it works ok for me. I use Big Game 10lb clear as a main line,

Regards Ray Thorpe

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply,

Do u reccomend that i just use a monofilament line or could u recommend a better flourocarbon which is more up to the job?

Hi lewis
Sorry mate im at a loss at the moment ,not surewhat line to get for my next trip to the Wye....I hear from some of the local barbal lads on the wye that Big Game is the way to go :)so i will give it a try the weekend .
Krystonite is ok ,just depends on the waters you fish,i was fishing deep water last weekend and could not see the rocky bottom and when i hooked the fish it would hover back and forth across the bottom snapping the line.
Ill have to put it down to lack of knowladge on a new river .

atb

Paul

Hi lewis
Sorry mate im at a loss at the moment ,not surewhat line to get for my next trip to the Wye....I hear from some of the local barbal lads on the wye that Big Game is the way to go :)so i will give it a try the weekend .
Krystonite is ok ,just depends on the waters you fish,i was fishing deep water last weekend and could not see the rocky bottom and when i hooked the fish it would hover back and forth across the bottom snapping the line.
Ill have to put it down to lack of knowladge on a new river .

atb

Paul

Im gonna get some x line and give that a try i think. Good luck with the big game mate!

Im gonna get some x line and give that a try i think. Good luck with the big game mate!

Hi Lewis,

I tried X line when it first came out, and was so 'not impressed' that I have never touched it since...so in fairness my problem with it may not still be relevant.

However, for what it is worth, the problem I and many others had back then, was it's lack of abrasion resistance. It was great if you needed a heavy line, because it sinks like a stone (we used it when slack lining, where fast sinking line is vital)...but if it got within sight of a sharp snag, it parted like cotton. The only answer we found was to use it in unusually high breaking strains, absolute minimum being over 20lbs.

If it is improved now, so be it....but I for one won't risk it.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Lewis,

I tried X line when it first came out, and was so 'not impressed' that I have never touched it since...so in fairness my problem with it may not still be relevant.

However, for what it is worth, the problem I and many others had back then, was it's lack of abrasion resistance. It was great if you needed a heavy line, because it sinks like a stone (we used it when slack lining, where fast sinking line is vital)...but if it got within sight of a sharp snag, it parted like cotton. The only answer we found was to use it in unusually high breaking strains, absolute minimum being over 20lbs.

If it is improved now, so be it....but I for one won't risk it.

Cheers, Dave.

Ok, thanks for that Dave. To be on the safe side for now i think i'll try some of that Big Game. Hopefully i'll get a few hours on the medway tomorrow and get some bites!

Cheers again for everyones help!

Lewis, I think you need to ask yourself what your priorities are when choosing your line. If you want tough, Big Game is probably as good as any! Personally I'd put tough, abrasion resistant and good for tying knots in as my three priorities for barbel fishing.... though I usually use a sinking braid for my hooklinks.

Lewis, I think you need to ask yourself what your priorities are when choosing your line. If you want tough, Big Game is probably as good as any! Personally I'd put tough, abrasion resistant and good for tying knots in as my three priorities for barbel fishing.... though I usually use a sinking braid for my hooklinks.

Yes mate your right.

Pretty much just wanted a reliable line, with a bit of colour in the river i suppose the flourocarbon properties aren't as needed.

Tho on that note what preference to colour would you recommend the big game line in? as i noticed they do a green brown and clear? other then the medway i will be fishing the stour and avon as and when i can!

Last edited:
dont rate flurocarbon in any make...much prefer braid as my mainline and also hooklength..but i guess its down to personal choice..:)

Hi again Lewis,

Tough standard lines :-

Nash 'Bullet' (may be hard to find now, as discontinued)
Fox 'Soft Steel' (NOT the camo)
Gold label tackle 'Pro Gold'

There are others, but those three will get you through a minefield unharmed :D

Cheers, Dave.

Just got some Big game gold,thats the new stuff !,ill be giving it a go on the Dove this weekend ,hopefully ill have a few decent wrap rounds to test it out:).

Paul

I guess someone's always going to come along and pour cold water over a product/technique/idea.....after all we all have different experiences and fish in varied environments. So here goes.....

I've tried 10lb Big Game clear this season and lost two good fish with it. The line's just snapped both times! And, though one can never be certain, the breakages were nowhere near a knot. Could have rubbed against a snag....but I thought the line was renowned for its abrasion resistance. I'm now back on GR60 as mainline - I only changed because the Big Game seemed supple with low memory.

Flourocarbon - I use Riverge Grand Max. Very supple, good abrasion resistance and fine diameter for the bs. Has anyone else used it? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion.....?

Hi Richard,

Yes i used the grand max as a hooklink a couple of seasons ago after reading good reports of the material and yes its nice and limp but the fineness put me off, i suppose that i used a bs of around the 10lb. mark and it was so thin that it frightened me:eek: I suppose in hindsight i should have used a much higher bs and still ended up with a nice limp supple hooklink, i still might try that....What bs are you using?

Back