• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floodwater rods.

Harrison's do a P1 beachcaster, but Dave Lumb also does a pike rod on a Harrison blank known as the P1 (12" 2.75lb TC). Generally considered the best all-round pike rod money can buy.
Don’t sat that Joe
I’ve just ordered 2 off X1 off Dave
Took me forever to make my mind up
The Chimera 3 and the Daiwa Theory 2.25 are awesome floodwater rods
Also use a Chinera 2 in 2.5tc which is superb
My mate has just picked up some Chimeras in 2.75 and he’s going to let me have one so that is primarily a mid range pike rod but also might get a run out as a big river/ big feeder barbel rod
Choosing a new rod is always a nice problem to have
It’s not right, a perfect excuse to get another👍

Two of the rods I missed out on were the original Fox floodwaters, the ARD008s. They went for more than I though they would. In hindsight I should have put a larger bid in for them than I did initially, but it is what it is. Not new rods, but probably ideal for my needs, and I would have been happy with them. I can't find a off the peg rod that is similar to those Foxs, that's why I asked on here. If that's being Finnicky, Picky, or whatever, so be it. I didn't say the cork or reel seat would be a deal breaker, just I preferred a different set up, and given the choice I'd choose the one I prefer. As I've said in an earlier post, I do a lot of research. I did when I bought my second hand Greys, very happy with my choice.

There's two Fox X4s in the classifieds. Nice rods, ones I've considered. Excellent price as well. I may be tempted by those, but I'll have to weigh it up with the other rods I'm looking at.

I can't help the way I am.

I agree with you re above Simon, I have a pair of the above Fox floodwaters, just used for either a very snaggy venue or to fish in flood, bought them new when they first came out and they have been faultless in every respect. Not expensive, understated but niceley built, a good strong rod, nice fittings and they both have had a lot of use over the past years, teamed up with Okuma Longbows, or more recently Shimmy aero 810’s a cant go wrong combination.

David.

Hi simon i have 1 harrison dark carbon extra power carbon 12ft 2.5.built by mark tunley whinch fitting tightened reel from fromt handle towards butt this rod is good used 4 yimes custom build ill send pics of handle tomorrow orivinaly cost over £270 reduced now to £150 plus courier. £30 roughly 24hr del if your up for it im willing to let you try it out first and then if you like it you can then ask mark tunley to build you another to match .your thoughts please pm me your address
thanks peter

Hi simon i have 1 harrison dark carbon extra power carbon 12ft 2.5.built by mark tunley whinch fitting tightened reel from fromt handle towards butt this rod is good used 4 yimes custom build ill send pics of handle tomorrow orivinaly cost over £270 reduced now to £150 plus courier. £30 roughly 24hr del if your up for it im willing to let you try it out first and then if you like it you can then ask mark tunley to build you another to match .your thoughts please pm me your address
thanks peter

Thanks for the offer again Pete, but I'm sorted now. A couple of posts up from yours and you'll see. 👍

thanks peter
Pete he’s just bought a pair of new rods!
I think you should try your rod on eBay now. I’m pretty sure every bfw member knows it’s available and isn’t interested. Stick it on eBay auction let it make what it’s worth.

The x-aeros have turned up and very nice there are too, if larger than expected. Fitted them to my new rods and there isn't a lot of space between the bail arm and my fingers. Something I can live with though.
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG

Wouldn’t of been my first choice for them.
a pair of 6000D’s or 6000OC’s would of been a nicer marriage imo.

Wouldn’t of been my first choice for them.
a pair of 6000D’s or 6000OC’s would of been a nicer marriage imo.
Horses for courses Richard, one mans poison etc....If we all liked the same women we’d be in a bit of a state!.... I’m sure Simon is tickled pink with his latest acquisitions.

I’ve got them on my flood rods, very smooth. They do look large but you soon get used to it. Haven’t used the D’s or OC’s so can’t compare but as they are all made by Shimano and the x-Aeros are the most expensive I’d have to assume they are for a reason.

I’ve got them on my flood rods, very smooth. They do look large but you soon get used to it. Haven’t used the D’s or OC’s so can’t compare but as they are all made by Shimano and the x-Aeros are the most expensive I’d have to assume they are for a reason.
They are very expensive and having had afew X reels apart I can tell you they are excellent quality. I love the fact that they did away with that little screw against the yoke nut on the X and made the nut left hand thread. Ingenious and takes out all the risk of excess play.
I have one a 2500 Fa and I liked it for a while but I’m sick of it now. That line guard does nothing to stop line getting the under the spool.
shimano must of been mad to make them spool skirts so short. That reel would of been a game changer if they’d made them all sizes front clutch extended that spool skirt by 15mm and done away with that horrible plastic floppy line guard.
I love the over sized spools better than the D’s but they took a reel that is probably one of the nicest highest quality baitrunner reels ever and ruined it by trying something clever that doesn’t work.

keep an eye on the line going under the spool common problem on the x-aeros
I’ve been using these reels (carp fishing) as well as the 4000 size for tench etc since they came out and never once had this problem...I don’t tend to fill my spools to the lip as not used for distance casting so maybe this helps?

It's a funny one this.

I keep reading and hearing about people struggling with the line going under the spool, but I haven't found it to be a problem on my 4000 X-aeros. I use them on my 3-rod tench set-up, casting from 25 - 70 yards with 10lb pro-gold and I can't honestly recall it once happening, and often I'm recasting all the time.

I know a couple of carpers who use the rear drag 8000's and they don't find it a problem.

I wondering if it's to do with underarm casting?

It's a funny one this.

I keep reading and hearing about people struggling with the line going under the spool, but I haven't found it to be a problem on my 4000 X-aeros. I use them on my 3-rod tench set-up, casting from 25 - 70 yards with 10lb pro-gold and I can't honestly recall it once happening, and often I'm recasting all the time.

I know a couple of carpers who use the rear drag 8000's and they don't find it a problem.

I wondering if it's to do with underarm casting?
It’s definitely to do with the way one would cast joe because a feather down particularly to a clip is never going to experience it.
I’ll be honest I’m sick to the back teeth with mine now.
Total pain in the arse. I could stop the problem by making some alterations to the way I usually tighten up after an underarm plop but I keep forgetting about it and I’m not bothering with it any more. Been using it this winter on the Cam for some chub.
such a shame because they are nice reels otherwise.

Well I'm more than happy with my rod and reel combo. I love the look of the x-areo, true to type baitrunner style. Double handle as well, which is what I prefer. I never considered the Ds or OCs, just don't like the look of them. But best of all, they only cost me £130 each.

It’s definitely to do with the way one would cast joe because a feather down particularly to a clip is never going to experience it.
I’ll be honest I’m sick to the back teeth with mine now.
Total pain in the arse. I could stop the problem by making some alterations to the way I usually tighten up after an underarm plop but I keep forgetting about it and I’m not bothering with it any more. Been using it this winter on the Cam for some chub.
such a shame because they are nice reels otherwise.
Sold my 2500's for exactly the same reason. Thought that spending a fair amount would eliminate such a design flaw but unfortunately not.

Lovely smooth reels otherwise!

Well I'm more than happy with my rod and reel combo. I love the look of the x-areo, true to type baitrunner style. Double handle as well, which is what I prefer. I never considered the Ds or OCs, just don't like the look of them. But best of all, they only cost me £130 each.
Let’s hope they do the business for you Simon.
id imagine they’ll be christened soon. The basia is a nice rod. The blank especially. Rings ummmmmmm well not sure......, they’ll do a job but I’m going to get mine rebuilt with proper ones eventually. Handles are beautiful and the blank is super impressive. Wait till you see how effortless and accurate that blank propels a 6oz lead with a loaded pva bag. You’ll probably never experience the issues I and others have had with the aero x reels simply because you’ll likely be feathering down from a good over head cast on those rods.
I think as joe said the problem seems to be associated with little underarm lobs and snapping a bail over a non feathered semi slack line which seems drawn to find its way between the bottom of the spools skirt and that flimsy plastic line guard. You’ll be spot on I’m sure.
oh ........... don’t like the look of a D...,,,, wash your mouth out 😜 they are great looking reels 😎

Back