• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floodwater rods.

I've seen those on the MT site, and they're very nice, just not quite what I would buy. (Reel seat and Orange tip) I have priced up some custom mades on his sight, but not knowing much about the different blanks he uses, it's difficult to know which one would suit the fishing I'm going to be using it for. The Chimera No4 was one of the blanks I'd considered, along with a Torrix 2.75lb, and with the Torrix being a 12' it's easier to transport.
The reel seats you’ll be stuck with but the orange tips I’m sure mark would change if you were to ask him.
I know he made some changes to a pair of stocked rods that Terry Harman bought recently

At the end of the day, if you have a few criteria, which there is nothing wrong with at all, you're probably going to have to go down the custom build route and spend a bit more than you would "off the peg".

I can really recommend Dave Lumb, he'll build to your spec'. I have nine standard builds of his just with the cork upgrade where cork wasn't standard and they're all, without exception, first class rods built on first class blanks!

Why go to all that expense ???? For flood fishing, i use a cheapo 2.5 tc carp rod. does the job perfectly. No less a fight, great fun, if you do manage to hook one. Just my opinion. 👍

I think off the peg, the Basias are going to be the closest thing you find to perfect.

I have the Powermesh 2.75s and have been absolutely blown away with how good they are for the money, and have not read a bad review on the Basia blank.

I fish the TT predominantly, and significantly more tidal stretches than probably anyone, needing 8oz in some areas at normal levels, let alone when in flood, and they have coped admirally.

Reel Seats - Lots of reel seats around other than the 'standard' and de-luxe Fuji DPS 'pipe type'. The wind down type is uses most of the parts of the equivalent DPS apart from the tightening 'nut/screw. Personally hate oversized reel seats and exposed thread - but that maybe is me. Cringe when I see a 18 when 16 or 17 will fit and meet requirements - especially on slimmer blanks. Yuk! Unless you have a specific requirement for large of course.
Piccy of comfy reel seat on Torrix 11' 1.75, wound fully up.

IMG_1218 crop 1200.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Why go to all that expense ???? For flood fishing, i use a cheapo 2.5 tc carp rod. does the job perfectly. No less a fight, great fun, if you do manage to hook one. Just my opinion. 👍

Your average 2.5 tc faster-actioned carp rod is likely to struggle putting out a loaded 6oz feeder.

Might be talking tosh here , but the main criteria outlined by the posts so far seems to be that a flood rod needs to have the ability to cast a heavy lead and not be too stiff , so why not buy a a carp rod of say 2.5lb test curve ? When I fish in floods I use and old Bruce Ashy Carp rod , 2lb t.c., it copes well and only cost £30 2nd hand on E bay

Might be talking tosh here , but the main criteria outlined by the posts so far seems to be that a flood rod needs to have the ability to cast a heavy lead and not be too stiff , so why not buy a a carp rod of say 2.5lb test curve ? When I fish in floods I use and old Bruce Ashy Carp rod , 2lb t.c., it copes well and only cost £30 2nd hand on E bay

I think it all depends on the action of the rod and stiffness of the tip. If I tried casting a loaded 6oz feeder with my 2.5lb Torrix which is designed as a ‘carp’ rod I think the end result would be a broken tip section and same with the 2.75lb Ballista Slims I suspect.

Probably the worst rod I’ve ever owned was a 2.5lb Bruce Ashby Skorpio (Harrison blank), which was ridiculously through-actioned to the point of sloppy, it was bad enough trying to cast out a 2.5oz lead it was that soft. The thought of lobbing out a 6oz feeder...blimey...I think I would hit the right spot 1 times in 5.

I think off the peg, the Basias are going to be the closest thing you find to perfect.

I have the Powermesh 2.75s and have been absolutely blown away with how good they are for the money, and have not read a bad review on the Basia blank.

I fish the TT predominantly, and significantly more tidal stretches than probably anyone, needing 8oz in some areas at normal levels, let alone when in flood, and they have coped admirally.

Thanks Guy, that's exactly the sort of reply I was looking for. 👍

I think you’ll struggle to find a pair of basia 2.75. Most places out of stock
Edit there is one or two kicking about.
might be up for selling mine if the price is right.
pm me if you want to discuss them.

I was going to have a look today at a pair but things got in the way. The shop had other Barbel rods in as well, so a good opportunity to view one or two 2.75lbs rods at the same time. Walkers of Trowell isn't that far away, so a visit there could be on the cards as well to view the Freespirits. Probably not the best time to be visiting tackle shops and handling lots of rods though, I can wait.

On the recommendation of numerous folk I have recently ordered 2x P1 rods from Dave Lumb for pike fishing but have been told they will double up as a great floodwater barbel rod.

They will cast heavy feeders and leads no issue at all, and the playing action is lovely. The tips won’t be the best for registering bites as they are quite stiff compared with a dedicated barbel rod. Awesome pike rods.

Back