• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floodwater rods.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I've been unsuccessful in trying to buy some second hand Floodwater rods off the usual auction sites recently, missing out twice in the last few seconds. So much so, that I've resigned myself to getting some off the peg (no pun intended) rods. Choice isn't really limited to price, but getting the right rod for me is. I can be a little finnicky in what I like, and getting it right, rather than buying something "that'll do" isn't the best option for me.

Reel seats are an example, I prefer screw down seats, rather than screw up ones. That cuts down the choice, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

I know I could go down the custom route, but again, if I get it wrong for whatever reason, and I don't like what I end up with, I'll hate fishing with them. It took me two years to decide on what match rods I wanted, in the end I settled on some Dave Harrells, bought four of them, and still use them to this day. I like to get the decision right.

So, what in the opinion of this forum is a good floodwater rod ?? I quite like the 2.75lb Daiwa Basia. Screw down reel seat for starters. Not massively keen on the different Cork in the handle, but it's OK. The Freespirits catch my eye as well, both the Hi-s and the CTX. The Harrisons are nice, but I don't know enough about the different models, Torrix Vs Chimera.

Another factor, do I need two rods, or will one suffice ??

Just as a matter of interest, I use original Greys Barbel rods in 2lb TC for all my Barbel fishing. The carrier section mostly with a 6oz tip, the solid top when there is a bit of water on. I do feel a little under gunned sometimes when the river is up and I'm fishing a large feeder.

Thanks,

Arch.

Simon, sounds like you'd be best off trying to borrow and try out a rod before you buy, not easy unless you have friends that can help out ? Id recommend Peregrine but I doubt they are better/worse than all the other custom rods you can get. If you gamble on one and don't like it you can probably sell it on at a small discount, might be worth the risk ?

Daiwa theory 2.25lb does me OK on a flooded Swale. I'd use them on the Trent aswell with no reservations, a cracking rod for the money.

If I was fishing floodwater regularly I'd treat myself to a pair of CS12-SU 12ft/2lb 4oz: from Dave Lumb, I have a pair of CS12-2 12ft/1lb 12oz: and they're a brilliant rod to fish with in normal conditions.

I've been unsuccessful in trying to buy some second hand Floodwater rods off the usual auction sites recently, missing out twice in the last few seconds. So much so, that I've resigned myself to getting some off the peg (no pun intended) rods. Choice isn't really limited to price, but getting the right rod for me is. I can be a little finnicky in what I like, and getting it right, rather than buying something "that'll do" isn't the best option for me.

Reel seats are an example, I prefer screw down seats, rather than screw up ones. That cuts down the choice, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

I know I could go down the custom route, but again, if I get it wrong for whatever reason, and I don't like what I end up with, I'll hate fishing with them. It took me two years to decide on what match rods I wanted, in the end I settled on some Dave Harrells, bought four of them, and still use them to this day. I like to get the decision right.

So, what in the opinion of this forum is a good floodwater rod ?? I quite like the 2.75lb Daiwa Basia. Screw down reel seat for starters. Not massively keen on the different Cork in the handle, but it's OK. The Freespirits catch my eye as well, both the Hi-s and the CTX. The Harrisons are nice, but I don't know enough about the different models, Torrix Vs Chimera.

Another factor, do I need two rods, or will one suffice ??

Just as a matter of interest, I use original Greys Barbel rods in 2lb TC for all my Barbel fishing. The carrier section mostly with a 6oz tip, the solid top when there is a bit of water on. I do feel a little under gunned sometimes when the river is up and I'm fishing a large feeder.

Thanks,

Arch.
If your that picky and worried your going to make the wrong choice I’d suggest you get out and try some when the current national climate allows. I’m a tier 4 area at the moment but should that change for the better any time soon you would be welcome to pop by and run some line through a basia.

Wouldn't say I'm picky, just like things to be right. I like to do lots of research beforehand and when I press the "Buy" button on an item, I like to think I've covered all the options. Most of my match fishing gear is what would be now called old school, but it still stands the test of time. Most of it is from the late eighties, early nighties. I don't move my gear on.

Thanks for the Basis offer. 👍

I can get the 2.75lbs Basia's at £285. Sort of swaying towards them.

I can get the 2.75lbs Basia's at £285. Sort of swaying towards them.
Try em out first.
They are let down by the tip guide. The Other guides are fairly good and very light indeed. Possibly Titanium but even so personally I’d prefer Fuji’s.
The Blanks however are exceptionally good. Seriously powerful and very advanced. I reckon with the right reel and the right line you’ll put serious lead at serious distance with those blanks. I’ve used mine on the tidal Trent at Sutton a couple of times and even with mono on a standard 6000 sized reel I can put 6-8oz across to the far bank. It’s got a nice action and the whole thing will bend progressively. It’s certainly no poker but it’s a million miles from floppy as well. I’ve not caught a Trent fish on them before but I have had a couple out of the swale on them recently when it was carrying a lot of water and they were very nice fish playing tools even at that TC. I just wish they’d given that blank the same rings and reel seat they gave the infinity. (I prefer screw up seats)

Simon. I'm sure all the rods mentioned above are great rods. I can only speak from experience with the Chimera 3's (CS12SU's Dave Lumb). I'm sure either Dave Lumb or Bob Gill could obtain the real seat that you're looking for...as an extra. Price doesn't hold me back either. I look to buy the best rod for the long term. It works out better and more cost efficient for me in the long term.

Simon. I'm sure all the rods mentioned above are great rods. I can only speak from experience with the Chimera 3's (CS12SU's Dave Lumb). I'm sure either Dave Lumb or Bob Gill could obtain the real seat that you're looking for...as an extra. Price doesn't hold me back either. I look to buy the best rod for the long term. It works out better and more cost efficient for me in the long term.

Exactly what I've always done. It may take me a long time to decide what I need, but I like to think when I do, I've got the decision correct. I very rarely sell any of my kit either.

Wouldn't say I'm picky, just like things to be right. I like to do lots of research beforehand and when I press the "Buy" button on an item, I like to think I've covered all the options. Most of my match fishing gear is what would be now called old school, but it still stands the test of time. Most of it is from the late eighties, early nighties. I don't move my gear on.

Thanks for the Basis offer. 👍
But you are Finniky, according to yourself, you mentioned cork and reel fittings, but surely the overriding consideration is his the rod feels in the hand with your reel of choice attached? I would certainly do that before committing, especially if you intend to buy eb..err auction sites.

Two of the rods I missed out on were the original Fox floodwaters, the ARD008s. They went for more than I though they would. In hindsight I should have put a larger bid in for them than I did initially, but it is what it is. Not new rods, but probably ideal for my needs, and I would have been happy with them. I can't find a off the peg rod that is similar to those Foxs, that's why I asked on here. If that's being Finnicky, Picky, or whatever, so be it. I didn't say the cork or reel seat would be a deal breaker, just I preferred a different set up, and given the choice I'd choose the one I prefer. As I've said in an earlier post, I do a lot of research. I did when I bought my second hand Greys, very happy with my choice.

There's two Fox X4s in the classifieds. Nice rods, ones I've considered. Excellent price as well. I may be tempted by those, but I'll have to weigh it up with the other rods I'm looking at.

I can't help the way I am.

Oh Simon....
Look at the Diawa Powermesh.

Will cope beautifully with the upper Trent in 2.25 version. I use in the middle even with a fair bit on. Casts well.
And also in 2.75 So....get one of each, matching looks. Big Collingwood covered also without breaking the bank with 2.75 and use 2.25 as well if normalish flow

Great playing action.

Screws up I think😁

I mainly fish the Dove and the upper Trent. But I do venture up to the A1 pits complex, and hopefully next year a few sessions on Collingham. I may also get myself a Scunthorpe AA ticket as well.

I’d the Chimera 3 is a good choice for Dove and Upper Trent with water on, lovely actioned rods, my rod of choice for the middle Trent year round . If I was going to be fishing the tidal in floodwater conditions I would have a look at the 13’ Chimera 4. I haven’t used one myself but have heard lots of positive feedback about them. Tbh all the other Chimera blanks I’ve used have been bang-on.

Mark Tunley has a couple for sale built to a nice spec here:

I've seen those on the MT site, and they're very nice, just not quite what I would buy. (Reel seat and Orange tip) I have priced up some custom mades on his sight, but not knowing much about the different blanks he uses, it's difficult to know which one would suit the fishing I'm going to be using it for. The Chimera No4 was one of the blanks I'd considered, along with a Torrix 2.75lb, and with the Torrix being a 12' it's easier to transport.

Back