• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish killer - a surprising culprit, you say?

carp pond mentality, lol i was bitten by the barbel bug at a ripe old age of eleven years, got the same bite from carp before that even although it took over 10 years to catch one, now along comes some doughnuts who decide its ok to release loads of otters willy nilly without even considering the devastation it would cause following a really bad devastation to our fish stocks by years of cormorants killing fish, mentality you say neil, why bother fishing if you aint worried about the fish, fiddle while rome burns mentality springs to mind,
i think all waters whether running water or lakes and pits ought to close down for a week and get the shotguns out to scare the cormorants away;););)
i dont think there would be much more trouble with otters either through all the sound of shotguns going off, it would probably cause em to die of shock,
or something:eek::eek::mad:

Graham, if he answers your questions but continues to ignore mine (you know, those in one of my previous posts, the ones he needed time to think about, back in the dim distant past)....then I shall sulk. Actually, I am already sulking.

Neil tells me that I should stop harking on about him being anti carp, stop falsely accusing him of being anti carp fishermen too, because he isn't, no sir, not one teeny weeny bit. He says I am paranoid about it, that he has never said any such thing nor ever would.

So, I am not sure which wicked person it was who inserted the following into poor Neil's post two days ago on this thread.....

"I can't help think that the Carp pond mentality is very much part of some river anglers on here".

Whoever did that, stop it at once. Poor Neil has enough problems already, without maliciously trying to make him sound dishonest.

Cheers, Dave.

Morning Dave, I don't know about Otter but it's looking like another Groundhog day for you.:D

Enjoy life for what it is, not what you want it to be

Just Do It....

carp pond mentality, lol i was bitten by the barbel bug at a ripe old age of eleven years, got the same bite from carp before that even although it took over 10 years to catch one, now along comes some doughnuts who decide its ok to release loads of otters willy nilly without even considering the devastation it would cause following a really bad devastation to our fish stocks by years of cormorants killing fish, mentality you say neil, why bother fishing if you aint worried about the fish, fiddle while rome burns mentality springs to mind,
i think all waters whether running water or lakes and pits ought to close down for a week and get the shotguns out to scare the cormorants away;););)
i dont think there would be much more trouble with otters either through all the sound of shotguns going off, it would probably cause em to die of shock,
or something:eek::eek::mad:

Give it a rest John, you and that shotgun mentality. we are all too long in the tooth for that sort of thing.:rolleyes:

Yes we know you were a slaughterman, you keep banging on about guns ditto ditto ditto, carry on like this and some will think those anglers are really off their tackle trollies.:confused:

Just in case anyone of a PETA persuation is reading this, or even a RSPCA fully paid up member, Otter Society or whatever, I don't know him and I ain't seen him.

Thank You. :rolleyes:

neil i have never been a slaughterman, i work in the meat industry yes, slaughter no, as for shotguns i used to do a lot of rough and wildfowl shooting but only for the pot, onlyother time i would shoot was to kill pests for land owners, as for peta who gives tuppence for their veiws, if they want to visit me i aint too hard to find and i add do most of my fishing on my own but if they tried to open this can of worms they may find more than they want:eek:

Graham, if he answers your questions but continues to ignore mine (you know, those in one of my previous posts, the ones he needed time to think about, back in the dim distant past)....then I shall sulk. Actually, I am already sulking.

Neil tells me that I should stop harking on about him being anti carp, stop falsely accusing him of being anti carp fishermen too, because he isn't, no sir, not one teeny weeny bit. He says I am paranoid about it, that he has never said any such thing nor ever would.

So, I am not sure which wicked person it was who inserted the following into poor Neil's post two days ago on this thread.....

"I can't help think that the Carp pond mentality is very much part of some river anglers on here".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry Dave he wont answer yours or my questions, "Carp pond mentality" "the penny hasn't dropped" "when someone asks for evidence they have lost the argument" (I thought it was a debate but nevermind)"there were to many Barbel in our rivers" :eek: must have been the insert fairy that done it :D

Carp pond mentality? I have Barbel fished (with a couple of sabbaticals) for over 50 years well before Carp ponds, those sabbaticals were spent chasing Carp I enjoyed it as I do Barbel fishing but then I never attempted to change the way that others fished or viewed different species as being lesser beings.

Give it a rest John, you and that shotgun mentality. we are all too long in the tooth for that sort of thing.:rolleyes:

Yes we know you were a slaughterman, you keep banging on about guns ditto ditto ditto, carry on like this and some will think those anglers are really off their tackle trollies.:confused:

Just in case anyone of a PETA persuation is reading this, or even a RSPCA fully paid up member, Otter Society or whatever, I don't know him and I ain't seen him.

Thank You. :rolleyes:

Would that be the same PETA that admits to destroying most of the animals handed over to them within a couple of days of receiving them? or the same RSPCA that has grown to big for its boots now just being a business.

neil i have never been a slaughterman, i work in the meat industry yes, slaughter no, as for shotguns i used to do a lot of rough and wildfowl shooting but only for the pot, onlyother time i would shoot was to kill pests for land owners, as for peta who gives tuppence for their veiws, if they want to visit me i aint too hard to find and i add do most of my fishing on my own but if they tried to open this can of worms they may find more than they want:eek:

Apologies if you have never worked as a slaughterman, but I have been close to the industry too, as a very young lad I worked for the old Min of Ag, I was stationed at Harris's in Calne where they slaughtered 1000's of pigs weekly, I had to check for all sort of things as to the viability of the carcass before distribution.
Don't think I would want to do that now, but I also enjoy a nice bacon buttie, as much as the next man, shooting any creatures is not my scene, yes even Otters, but I do accept vermin control is necessary, and wouldn't condemn anyone that does, but doing that within the law, and not taking the law into our own hands, that would be just counter productive for Angling in particular.
Truth is John I admire you and the way you won't give up, even with the problems you have, just trying to be honest, of course no one will ever agree on every issue, especially this Otter thing, but it's good to debate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry Dave he wont answer yours or my questions, "Carp pond mentality" "the penny hasn't dropped" "when someone asks for evidence they have lost the argument" (I thought it was a debate but nevermind)"there were to many Barbel in our rivers" :eek: must have been the insert fairy that done it :D

Carp pond mentality? I have Barbel fished (with a couple of sabbaticals) for over 50 years well before Carp ponds, those sabbaticals were spent chasing Carp I enjoyed it as I do Barbel fishing but then I never attempted to change the way that others fished or viewed different species as being lesser beings.
I believe I said there were just too many Barbel in our rivers, and that I hope was a fair comment.

However I do feel anxious as much as the next Angler regarding depleted stocks, however the blame cannot be solely down to the Otter, that much I feel 100% right on, there are other issues here, too many to list, but each as viable as the next.

But perhaps the biggest threat is abstraction due to population and we certainly are seeing a marked decline in areas where there are high densities of new builds and the demand for more water.

I am no expert, all this might be rubbish, but like you I wasn't born yesterday, and for me the situation will not improve until we get our water supplies issues improved. We live on a island that is one of the wettest in the World, there is no excuses that stack up, to take water from Rivers that barely have enough water to paddle through is a disgrace.

Paraphrasing me at every post is bit obsessive, look at the big picture, we might then be able to unite and form a meaningful alliance, but not against the Otter, that's a pipe dream.

Why on earth would that organisation get involved? when they say that they don't believe in an animals right to lifeand kill thousands of animals without trying to rehome them.

Why PETA Kills

Seems to me they would be good at getting rid of them not protecting them.

I didn't make a comment on them regarding their ethics, blimey Graham go mow the lawn :)

Right I have work to do even if you don't .

Ta ra!!

The Otter is here to stay, loved by millions..Barbel fishing has changed and will continue to do so..I realised some time ago that Anglers don't have any rights calling for a cull.
As said before I do think im selfish because I don't like seeing Big fish being killed by Otters..
If Anglers arguments for the culling of Otters was heard in court, it would be thrown out..
Angling has gone through change for hundreds of years and will continue to do so..

The Otter is here to stay, loved by millions..Barbel fishing has changed and will continue to do so..I realised some time ago that Anglers don't have any rights calling for a cull.
As said before I do think im selfish because I don't like seeing Big fish being killed by Otters..
If Anglers arguments for the culling of Otters was heard in court, it would be thrown out..
Angling has gone through change for hundreds of years and will continue to do so..

Exactly right.

Really dont get all the moaning about Otters, they are here for good and no amount of fish loss is going to change that. We'd better off trying to get something done about the menace that is the signal crayfish infestation.

Jon

Round and round went the groundhog, muttering to himself "Will I never learn? I promised myself I wouldn't enter this particular asylum again, it's so damned hard to find your way out"...............

Cheers, Dave.

There's a log out button at the top of the page Dave, just click on it, simple, it opens up a whole new world where people interact with each other properly :)

Round and round went the groundhog, muttering to himself "Will I never learn? I promised myself I wouldn't enter this particular asylum again, it's so damned hard to find your way out"...............

Cheers, Dave.

There are doors that lead to Facebook, Twitter and the like, and then you might wonder what a sane place this is.:)

Exactly right.

Really dont get all the moaning about Otters, they are here for good and no amount of fish loss is going to change that. We'd better off trying to get something done about the menace that is the signal crayfish infestation.

Jon

Yes Jon, very true.

It would.

I think we might feel we 'own' the Barbel, which is played out by the lengths we go to land them with hooks and nets and have us photographed with the capture, and so it is repeated with others who feed the same fish and repeat the process, is it any wonder the Otter gets wind of all this?

Easy pickings, and then we hate the Otter for taking 'our' fish, laughable really.

look at it another way Neil, if you had invested many tens of thousands of £s on stocking fish would you truly have the same veiw as you have now, or if it meant the end of fishing as we know it also would it honestly change your veiw on otters,
i know it would with most people involved with fishing.

Back