• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish killer - a surprising culprit, you say?

they only go out of their way to avoid humans if they AINT HUNGRY, have you ever seen a real wolf live Neil?
they are more than likely the most dangerous animal in europe when in a hungry pack, house pets are no comparison in any event compared to a hungry wolf, the only reason more people in uk get killed by domestic dogs is because theres no wolves loose in uk, hey hold on your not far from biblins are you, why not go camping i a lonely bit of forest of dean near biblins, plenty of scary wild stuff there mate, big pumas, wild boar, crazy stags and plenty of other stuff too, dont take my word for it ask rayo or others, the nearest wild wolves are in france:eek:

I told you John I have been bitten by one, all for Queen & Country though

paul your info say only 1% of the sheep, have you any idea at all the amount of sheep there are in scotland or wales, we butcher between 5 or 6 thounds lambs a day in wales and we are far from the only firm slaughtering lambs in wales, scotlands are not much different, 1 % would be an enormous kill rate,
how long would fences keep wolves penned in? about as long as it takes fror them to dig under the fencing:D, i wouldnt take much notice of what oslo says try canada or alaska or even in the usa mountains, if you really want to see how many sheep there currently is in wales or england or scotland its very easy to find out through livestock government figures, as for saving 800 compared to returns of 500 on culled deer wakey wakey, if a wolf or more likely wolves kill a deer the carcas value will be zero so its make 500 or lose 500, simples, sod the tree huggers its not them that gets deprived of their lifelong hobbies and caring for our fish stocks all our lives, they move on to something when they get bored

neil you,d soon know if it was a wolf mate, the only possible way to tame and train is to get it when its only weeks old but its wild instincts would eventually take over, by the way a wild wolf is usually far larger than an average alsation mate

neil you,d soon know if it was a wolf mate, the only possible way to tame and train is to get it when its only weeks old but its wild instincts would eventually take over, by the way a wild wolf is usually far larger than an average alsation mate

It was a bit tongue in cheek John, probably wasn't a Wolf, but King certainly was as big as any Wolf, and as keen. I was offered up to many a police dog as a 'criminal' he hurt the most.
Don't agree with what you say about a Wolf's instincts taking over, you could with correct training get a puppy Wolf to behave like a domestic dog, well almost.

No , you have been influenced by Little Red Riding Hood Graham, Wolves go out of their way to avoid Humans, so not really a danger at all considering.I
But, I have been mauled by Timber Wolf though, well it was supposed to be an Alsation, but it kept biting it's USAF handlers, so was donated to RAF Police, the section Cpl set King on me as a training exercise, and despite all the padding I had I still ended up in sick quartets, King looked every inch a Wolf, but he went on to be a good police dog, and even served in the RAF demonstration team.:)

One day you will stop being so rude to people but then maybe not, you are wrong and not for the first time, about time that you realised that you are not always right, heres a report of an attack, there are more, its called evidence.

Well well yet another

Patricia Wyman 23–24 female April 18, 1996 Captive Haliburton Forest, Ontario, Canada Wyman was a wildlife biologist who worked as a caretaker in the Wolf Centre section of the Haliburton Forest & Wildlife Preserve. She was killed by four captive wolves on the third day of her employment

Candice Berner 32 female March 10, 2010 Predatory Chignik Lake, Alaska, US, 475 miles southwest of Anchorage Berner, a teacher and avid jogger, was discovered dead along a road by snowmobilers, who found wolf tracks in the adjacent snow. The Alaska State Medical Examiner ruled that her death was caused by "multiple injuries due to animal mauling." A series of necropsies performed on wolves culled in the surrounding area shortly after the attack ruled out rabies, sickness, or wolf-dog hybridisation as being causes of the attack. The case was notable as being the first fatal wolf attack in North America in which DNA evidence was gathered to confirm wolf involvement.

Oh look here's another

Kenton Joel Carnegie 22 male November 8, 2005 Predatory Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada In the weeks leading up to the attack, natural prey for local wolves was becoming scarce. Four wolves at Points North Landing had begun feeding on camp refuse that fall and were habituating increasingly to human activities. On November the 4th, 2005 two of Kenton Carnegie's camp companions, an experienced bush pilot and a geophysicist, met up with two aggressive wolves on the airfield close to camp. The two young men beat back the attack, photographed the wolves and told everybody in camp. They later turn their photos over to the investigating authorities. This incident is now presumed to have been an exploratory attack by the wolves that fits a pattern leading up to predation. On November 8, ignoring a warning from the bush pilot not to go out, Carnegie went for a walk and didn't return to the geological surveyors' camp where he was working. His body was found partially consumed in an area known to be frequented by four wolves which regularly fed on human refuse. The pathologist who performed the autopsy testified Carnegie had lost about 25% to 30% of his body mass in the attack, with the top midsection to the thigh having been partially consumed. Although originally the possibility that the culprit was a black bear was not ruled out, a coroners' jury concluded after a two year inquiry that the attackers had indeed been wolves.

Tell you what have a look for your self plenty of evidence that is contrary to your view, please have a look at who investigated these incidents, people that work with evidence not unevidenced opinion.

Rude? Dont be so precious... merely trying to inject some humour and goodwill, not grumpy like you...
Right all that research you did was admirable, but alas the so called evidence was not at all convincing and too anecdotal to be of any use whatsoever:rolleyes:
However don't be put off, keep digging.

Oh! Perhaps Wolves have a taste for Otter?

There you go, jobs a goodun:p

Graham as far as i know they are the only ones that have ever been killed in continental North America - as i said bees kill about 33 people a year and of course humans far more...so what do you suggest we do in these cases?

Lister in Scotland is talking about fencing them in so impact on sheep - questionable. If we took John's argument to its logical conclusion and put people's livelihood first we should still be killing whales, the mines would still be open as would the Redcar steel plant yet it as always struck me as odd as to why farmers, in one of the most subsidised industries, are treated differently and we blindly seem to support them. Many upland areas in the UK are not economically viable to farm, and have not been for a long time, yet we still do.

BTW if you are ever fortunate enough to go on safari in a tent do so - worried about wolves, how about waking up and opening the tent flap to see a pride of lions about 50 yards away and realising they had been their all night. Fortunately, as in the case of all wild animals, except for the likes of the great white, they will usually choose to avoid people.

I do like this quote from the BBC article 'no one can be certain what effects a new top predator would have, and polarised opinions make rational debate difficult.' I think this thread is a case in point...we don't know so it is all opinion, with the odd historical record thrown in.

Yet another smart alec reply.

Andy, nothing is achieved by this site now. Suggest you pull the plug

Mike

Are you serious ?

Good Lord I really believe you are, nothing on here that has gone too far, and yet you want the plug pulled, losing the plot and the argument?

It's a forum, do we all retire to Facebook and blow smoke up each others perviables?

Well done on the Smart Alec quip, very droll.

Rude? Dont be so precious... merely trying to inject some humour and goodwill, not grumpy like you...
Right all that research you did was admirable, but alas the so called evidence was not at all convincing and too anecdotal to be of any use whatsoever:rolleyes:
However don't be put off, keep digging.

Oh! Perhaps Wolves have a taste for Otter?

There you go, jobs a goodun:p

If that's your humour don't give up your day job, I am far from grumpy as anyone that knows me will tell you I am also prepared to listen to the opinions of other, answer any questions asked of me if I can, not sidestep anything is asked.

Not a lot of research needed to see that you were once again wrong, but then again you don't believe in evidence do you, is there an ignore button on here I really hope there is.

Found, bye now.

Mike Wilson is the most genuine, accomplished angler most of us will ever meet.

A gentleman too boot.

I'm proud to call him a friend. However he recognises an oft wrong idiot when he needs.

Hi men,

22 pages into an otter thread , not doing bad really . People disagree with each other , often questioning each other intelligence , that human nature , but the line has not really been overstepped yet , but believe me all the mods read every post , so will never get out of hand . Do we really want a sterile site where we cant disagree, have a bit of banter , the odd barbed remark , I don't think so , we all know the line that can't be stepped over , and how close we walk , but we try not to step over .

Hatter

Super Moderator, you have been promoted Hatter. Thought you was a Carp Angler again. Tell Sue to get the Kettle on. :)

As with all things in nature there are fluctuations, imbalances and extinctions and we find ourselves living through such cycles. The danger is that by worrying too much about the future and living too much in the past, we then waste our time in the present. There are many things that are beyond our control regarding the issues that affect us, but let's try and enjoy the 'now' for what it is... for who know's what the future holds?

Hi men,

Ray, always been a carp angler , just masquerading as a barbel angler :p

Missed bumping into you lately, will put that right ........... if your walking around the lake I fish in France :D . May have to get the rods out and see you on the banks .

Hatter

Back