• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish killer - a surprising culprit, you say?

So

Surely before posting this you might understand that since 2004 it has been illegal to hunt with dogs for Mammals in this country

Unless they are rats or rabbits I guess.

saw one a month ago just casually swimming across the trent in the next peg to me, i should have packed up there and then really, safe to say i blanked that day

saw one a month ago just casually swimming across the trent in the next peg to me, i should have packed up there and then really, safe to say i blanked that day

Well casually swimming or not, you saw an Otter, many would give his/ her right arm to see an Otter in the wild.

Hardly a 'blank'.

Each to his/her own Neil, but i go fishing to " try " and catch fish, not to spot giant rats.

But I don't discriminate against any wildlife, each have their role in the fact we can go into the countryside and fish, if I just wanted to catch fish I might just book into a farmed commercial and 'catch' F1's.
You refer to Otter as giant rats, which shows a contempt for what is a pretty much incredible specimen that has been around far longer than a few selfish anglers who just want the wild fish stocks as our play things, how pathetic and sterile is that?
I indeed enjoy river fishing because of all the uncertainties that we cannot control, the Otter being just one.

Mark , it's when you see the bubble trails left by the Otter swimming underwater that things might go Pete Tong , as likely as not the Otter is actively hunting . Just having one cruise across your swim does not automatically ruin a days fishing . I have actually hooked barbel on a number of occasions when Otters have been paddling about right above the fish . When I see them I am usually scrabbling for my camera to try and get a photo , inevitably and invariably I am too late

But I don't discriminate against any wildlife, each have their role in the fact we can go into the countryside and fish, if I just wanted to catch fish I might just book into a farmed commercial and 'catch' F1's.
You refer to Otter as giant rats, which shows a contempt for what is a pretty much incredible specimen that has been around far longer than a few selfish anglers who just want the wild fish stocks as our play things, how pathetic and sterile is that?
I indeed enjoy river fishing because of all the uncertainties that we cannot control, the Otter being just one.

Hi Neil, if you 'don't discriminate against any wildlife', how do you explain the fact that when Derek describes otters as giant rats, you claim that this 'shows contempt' for otters. So, it would seem that you DO discriminate against rats?

It might amuse you to know that otters are of the 'Mustelidae' family. Some other members of that family are weasels, polecats, wolverines...and our old friend the mink.

Rum old bunch if ever there was. However, I don't discriminate against them :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Really ? i beg to differ. I think you,ll find angling has been around far longer than the " REINTRODUCED GIANT RAT "

And no, i don,t go to commercials just to get my string pulled. I would much rather spend 12 hours on a river without catching a fish, but enjoying just being there, than 4 hours on a pig puddle with a net full.

Such a pity that those involved in the reintroduction debacle didn't have the same view towards fish.

Hi Neil, if you 'don't discriminate against any wildlife', how do you explain the fact that when Derek describes otters as giant rats, you claim that this 'shows contempt' for otters. So, it would seem that you DO discriminate against rats?

It might amuse you to know that otters are of the 'Mustelidae' family. Some other members of that family are weasels, polecats, wolverines...and our old friend the mink.

Rum old bunch if ever there was. However, I don't discriminate against them :D:D

Cheers, Dave.
Yes I knew that Dave, so why should I be amused? Of course describing anything as a rat has a negative connotation, unless of course you are a rat.

Actually I don't discriminate against any wildlife, only man destroys, not wildlife, cant be that difficult to understand surely?

Really ? i beg to differ. I think you,ll find angling has been around far longer than the " REINTRODUCED GIANT RAT "

And no, i don,t go to commercials just to get my string pulled. I would much rather spend 12 hours on a river without catching a fish, but enjoying just being there, than 4 hours on a pig puddle with a net full.

Otter has been around for million of years, in fact they have always been here, predators of all types have a role in sustaining a health balance, it's a no brainer.
You seem to want to fish rivers, but on your terms, that is then no difference to fishing commercials.
And shouting in caps ?
Grow up!

Smarty. You said.

predators of all types have a role in sustaining a health balance, it's a no brainer.

Apex predator maintaining balance? Man possibly?

Smarty. You said.

predators of all types have a role in sustaining a health balance, it's a no brainer.

Apex predator maintaining balance? Man possibly?

Man destroys habitat, all you need to know. However a few are trying to educate, it's a tough message, and obviously we might as Anglers just have to see the bigger picture to safeguard what we have, and also try to improve.

You may call me Neil, no need for playground stuff is there Graham?

There is no such thing as a natural balance! Its an arbitrary observation of perceived levels or numbers of certain species.

Balanced is a nice Shimano 4000d and my 11ft Gti. Of which I am hopefully going to get a bend in tonight.

12 pages of groundhog day!

Yes I knew that Dave, so why should I be amused? Of course describing anything as a rat has a negative connotation, unless of course you are a rat.

Actually I don't discriminate against any wildlife, only man destroys, not wildlife, cant be that difficult to understand surely?

Wrong, plenty of cases where wildlife destroys, how about Beavers destroying tree's how about a big cat destroying cubs that are not there own, how about elephant destroying trees that they feed on, how about huge jellyfish destroying the habitat of fish off the coast of Japan, there are more if you require them. ;)

Back