• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ebay madness

The trouble with goretex its as thin as a binliner and any brambles will puncture it, its great stuff but treat it with respect. If its second hand and its been washed then I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole if waterproof is at the top of your list. I personally use it as an external cover to keep warm as a cold layer to extract moisture even in winter is excellent punctured or not.

Quite right Jon about the secondhand stuff. Fortunately this stuff is brand new. Regarding how thin it is, the membrane is sandwiched between two layers to protect it (after all, it's only PTFE...plumber's tape!), so it stands up quite well from my experience. I did manage to rip my first pair when a stile collapsed and the barbed-wire nearly castrated me!:eek: They are German army issue...Vorsprung durch Technik and all that so are well made and certainly not lightweight.

Dave, I have no idea how good the thermal liner is but if you're into the layering principle, it wouldn't be a problem to wear leggins,tracksters etc as well. I've been wearing the waterproofs with salopettes underneath when fishing in winter and the breathability has been superb.

As I've alluded to in previous posts on this matter, if your waterproofs lose their repellency (i.e. the water no longer beads and runs off) they will lose their breathability when its raining (or the outer layer is soaked through). However, on cold days they're great as a wind block and you don't 'wet out' from perspiration condensing inside your clothing.

Back in the late 80's I paid over £200 for a mountaineering jacket and £100 for salopettes (both Goretex)....the ones advertised here are £31 delivered! It's a no-brainer IMO.

P.S. The braces make them particularly comfortable to wear and the slightly higher than usual back helps reduce the effects of the cold. They get a 10/10 from me, but if camou isn't your thing, then look elsewhere.;)

Last edited:
I use the british army gortex myself and Ive never had a problem with it, bought from an army surplus store and asked the guy in the store about the longevity of its waterproof properties, he told me to just wash it and its pucker to this day 8 years on. Only time im wet is when you wear it in weather like this!!

Chris, I've recently bought a British Army DPM Goretex jacket because it's difficult to get the German ones from new. The advantage of their overtrouser braces is that their isn't an elasticated waist tugging at your clothing, especially if you are the size that I am.

Anthony Im in the average size bloke so im afraid I wouldnt know, but aparently speaking to a man in the know they do a bib and braces in gortex for the army. Aparently its to do with the guys who play with fuel and need the protection. Worth a try?

I got a pair of the German ones in olive green about 4 years ago from a game fair, best £20 I ever spent on wet weather gear. Perfectly waterproof in fact I have taped them tight round my wellies with insulation tape and waded out thigh deep to retrieve a float (yes I am that tight but it was a Harcork) and had no water in them at all.

There isn't half some tosh talked about Gortex. Gore, the manufactures do not recommend re-waterproofing with ANY aftermarket product. But they do recommend washing it, not in detergent but in soap then tumble drying to re-loft the fabric which re profs it. It may come as a shock to some but manufactures generally know more about their products than Barbel anglers.

They have become very gucci with the bass plugging fraternity down here , Mike Ladle uses them and he has a huge following - deservedly so , top man .
Could be one of the reasons ?
Check out his sea fishing blog - you'll see stradics !!
On that front , had to laugh , done 3 nights down on the river , very pleasant -bitten to death for not a lot , did 4 hrs in my dinghy , 7 bass from 3 - 8 lb , fought harder than a barbel can dream and not a midge in sight - when it got too hot I just jumped over the side . heaven .
They are a bit spikey though , and have top say , barbel are so much better on the kissing front , Bass just want to hurt you , and then splash you in the face as you say bye - very refreshing though !

Neil....Neil....wake up Neil....you can't let him get away with that :eek:

Cheers, Dave :D

Neil's given up on Barbelling at the moment, he reckons the rivers have got too low :p talk about rats etc ....:confused:

Might want to alert him via pm David, it's a serious issue though :mad:

Back