• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

what a lot of nonsense about guys only posting a few times a month:(
it takes all types to make a forum, myself used to be a real chatterbox on here on the old forum i think i was getting close to 8000 posts or maybe more,
was i in any cliques, YES BUT ONLY ONE that one was and is BFW
i was and still am always willing to part with any tips or help whever i can
does this make me any better than a guy because of different reasons who only posts a few times a month? CERTAINLY NOT! we are both BFW members on equal footing, i have made god knows how many fishing friends on bfw a lot because of attending (with great pleasure i add) bfw fish ins and social times, others from friends i have helped or they have helped me,
i was and have been quite ill over the past year or too so this in turn has restricted my getting out to a river, BFW has undoubtably been the Best thing thats happened to my fishing since after i caught my 1st fish over 60 years back, i accidently missed out a word in my post to Adrian that made my post look right out of context to which i edited it and put in the word,
theres lots of really good anglers that dont post much now but a lot of that
is because of reasons from some posters why Andy changed things and to me its a far better place where the active membership will swell once more but with better restraint thn the old forum, Guy And Stuart, Ray Walton,and many more like them, i have no doubt they,re still looking in, some of those guys didnt post many times but boy was the ones they did interesting,

theres currently 5 threads with between 2500 and 6000+ veiws on the forum at present, to me that hardly sounds a quiet forum

John, the point I have made is that , as you say, people should quite rightly post as little or as often as they like-that's an absolute given and it's not a post count contest. However, I feel no sympathy for those that whinge about the forum not being this, that or the other and yet make no effort themselves to make it the place they would like it to be.

Howard lets get one thing straight mate, i wasn,t referring to any particular person, just the thread the way i see it mate, togetherness in a tight bond is the way forward:)

I couldn't care less what someone's post count is. It has no bearing on anything. I'm not aware of any particular cliques here either. I think that there's a couple of posters that I know reasonably well and a couple more that I've met once. The rest I've never met, though I may have got to know them a little via the forum.

However, I do find it a little rich when anyone, that rarely posts, complains that the forum is quiet. It's even more rich if they complain when the catch reports are dead if they never post their own reports on them.

I agree that as Chris said...if you don't post very often, then it would seem a trifle unreasonable to complain about the forum not being very busy. Fair comment at the moment I suppose, but surely those comments from other members criticising that line of thought are equally valid? It often baffles me why a fairly reasonable question or point of view from one members can cause such sharp responses from others. I guess in fairness, some might say that coming from me, that last could sound a little pot/kettle/black :D.....but it is nonetheless valid.

A good example of what I mean are our old friends the 'What landing net' threads. Now these type threads ARE quite boring for long time users who have heard them all before....there is no denying that. But...are they really THAT bad? The content of these threads is obvious from the title, so from the outset they are something we can choose to read...or ignore...a straight forward choice. I simply do not understand how something that bland...that easily avoidable...can cause the levels of outrage that they apparently do where some folk are concerned.

Most of us are content to accept them for what they are...harmless questions, mostly genuine attempts to seek others opinions before rushing out and wasting hard earned cash by buying a real dog of a bit of kit....is that really such a crime? Some are from long term users, but most are from newbies to the forum. Surely it is quite understandable that a few from every new intake of anglers joining the forum will innocently ask away, blissfully unaware of the anger that their actions may cause to some?

We all poke fun at these threads, take the pee, advise those responsible to use the search engine before asking....whatever. But it is a fact that some are unaware of such search facilities....or do not have the skills required to successfully use them. And lets be honest, the results from trying to do a search on here do not always make much sense, and can easily frustrate those suffering from 'buying frenzy' :D

I could fairly be described as an angry old fart...a miserable old git who has become WAY too cynical as a result of life's many trials. But even I am astonished by the depths of anger these innocuous, easily avoidable threads sometimes seem to cause. I think we are all bit too hasty at times. I know I am sitting myself down and having a word with myself recently about real life issues. Perhaps letting such mundane things as fishing forums generate such anger and passion is a misuse of such valuable life tools?

OK, you can open your eyes again now...I'm done :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Bloody hell Dave do you ever shut up!:D:D:D:D:D

I think a lot of the time people just don't have much too say, some chip in now and again and then drift away, others seem too live their lives on forums................ i used too, but now a days anything i have too say has already been said a thousand times over and by those far more eloquent than me.

Anyway, FB will rule the world soon and then there will be no more forums:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell Dave do you ever shut up!:D:D:D:D:D

I think a lot of the time people just don't have much too say, some chip in now and again and then drift away, others seem too live their lives on forums................ i used too, but now a days anything i have too say has already been said a thousand times over and by those far more eloquent than me.

Anyway, FB will rule the world soon and then there will be no more forums:eek::eek::eek::eek:

According to my missus Tom........................no :D:D:D

The fact is that I care about things a lot, and sadly know of no short way of getting across the buzzing nonsense that in my brain passes for thought :p Empty vessels and all that mate :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

What I'd like to know is where have all the old posters gone to. With the age profile of angling in general I doubt they've gone to Facebook. Have they gone to other barbel websites, or have they just given up barbel fishing altogether ? I myself was a very active poster many years ago when I worked for someone else and I had time to scroll forums in my lunch break. Now I work for myself and don't seem to have as much time. I also didn't fish as much when I became self employed. Now I'm getting back into my fishing and still regard BFW as the No.1 site for barbel anglers. There's a wealth of experience on here and some funny guys as well.

Nick C

Nick,

Bring back the classic "Nick's Barbel Diary" .... I looked forward to reading each instalment mucker:D

For those who don't know what I talk off....Google it up and have a laugh at what used to go on within the forum pages:cool:

Paul

Just googled it and hes erm stark boll*** naked. Not the best thi g when your young uns are in the vicinity! !!

Funny though

Just done the same...excellent stuff Nick, loved it. Bring it back indeed...I would read that first thing in the morning, to set me up for the day :D

Cheers, Dave.

Trouble with forums dying on their arse in my opinion are too many backroom face slaps to the real characters in the game. There are always going to be controversial posters and people with strong opinions that upset the meek mild mannered majority,enjoy the conflict or deem their input as innoccuous. Part of the beauty of new forums is that these flavours have not been dampened yet thus the content is more readable with a spicier taste. Once these people get banned then the posting is left to guess what...........the meek mild mannered majority making exceedingly boring reading. I am not saying the this has completely happened to BFW but what happened to the OP?

I find myself in a bit of a turmoil at the moment. I really am confused and troubled by the events that seem to have transpired during the course of this thread. Troubled....because despite earlier doubts on my part, it is now obvious that Ade Williams has indeed been banned. Confused....because usually I don't question the judgement of the administrative staff of a forum. Those that own a forum very obviously have a right to run it as they see fit...and the moderators employed to ensure that the owners wishes are adhered to cannot logically be blamed for doing their job. It is also a fact that by joining a forum, we agree to abide by the rules as set out....but....were any of those rules actually broken here? Ade may have said things that were perhaps a trifle outspoken...but they were his honest views, which perhaps warranted a warning....but a ban :eek: Of course, it may be that things went on behind closed doors that we are not all privy to...but based on the evidence we are privy to, my conscience will not allow me to remain silent on this issue.

The simple fact is that I, and many others, saw Ade as a very valuable member of this forums community....he contributed a great deal. True, I have never met the man, but I have been reading his posts for years...and that left me in no doubt that he is an intelligent, articulate man with a huge depth of angling knowledge. In short, I admired Ade a great deal....despite not always seeing eye to eye with him 100% of the time. Which is why I am so deeply troubled by this turn of events.

Was there more to this than we ordinary members are aware of? If not, I would dearly like to know why a member as liked and respected as Ade...was tossed out on his ear for what seems a fairly minor transgression.

If my asking this question is deemed as reason enough to ban me from this forum...so be it, fire away.

Cheers, Dave.

I find myself in a bit of a turmoil at the moment. I really am confused and troubled by the events that seem to have transpired during the course of this thread. Troubled....because despite earlier doubts on my part, it is now obvious that Ade Williams has indeed been banned. Confused....because usually I don't question the judgement of the administrative staff of a forum. Those that own a forum very obviously have a right to run it as they see fit...and the moderators employed to ensure that the owners wishes are adhered to cannot logically be blamed for doing their job. It is also a fact that by joining a forum, we agree to abide by the rules as set out....but....were any of those rules actually broken here? Ade may have said things that were perhaps a trifle outspoken...but they were his honest views, which perhaps warranted a warning....but a ban :eek: Of course, it may be that things went on behind closed doors that we are not all privy to...but based on the evidence we are privy to, my conscience will not allow me to remain silent on this issue.

The simple fact is that I, and many others, saw Ade as a very valuable member of this forums community....he contributed a great deal. True, I have never met the man, but I have been reading his posts for years...and that left me in no doubt that he is an intelligent, articulate man with a huge depth of angling knowledge. In short, I admired Ade a great deal....despite not always seeing eye to eye with him 100% of the time. Which is why I am so deeply troubled by this turn of events.

Was there more to this than we ordinary members are aware of? If not, I would dearly like to know why a member as liked and respected as Ade...was tossed out on his ear for what seems a fairly minor transgression.

If my asking this question is deemed as reason enough to ban me from this forum...so be it, fire away.

Cheers, Dave.
With yer all the way dave on this post.

Cheers, Dave.

I could not have put it better myself

Regards,

Hugo

Back