• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

Who said anything about leaving?

I was simply mourning the passing of what was once a very vibrant forum.
What you see today is simply a shadow of what has gone. Think of a village pub which is the hub of the village until a new landlord takes over and rips out all the old fittings and features along with the real ale and replaces them with limed oak furniture, grey walls and extra cold eurofizz, it's the same place and the people from the new estate think it's fine but the old regulars will mourn the passing of what has gone.

Adrian,

I do not normally post but I have broken my silence to say that I will miss your posts which i found informative and educational. I realize there must be a fine line between over moderation and total lawlessness but surely it is a better place with posters like Adrian . Does anyone agree or are we happier with "what landing net handle" threads.

Steve- it is always a good place where as many members as possible post-sharing knowledge, insight and experience combined with a sense of fun and above all, acting with respect and integrity. That isn't for everyone of course hence the need for moderation.

Why is it you haven't posted that much yourself? If it's because you are happy to consume knowledge etc without giving much back then is that fair? If it's because you haven't perhaps had the warmest of responses when you have posted then presumably you are relieved that we have stronger moderation making it "safer" for people to post.

I would agree with you about Adrian's contributions so let's hope he does stay and we all get more of his insight.

Howard,

I'd like to think I might have something useful to contribute but I find it a problem to find a thread that is actually about catching Barbel. I really don't care (and I'm sure the fish don't) what landing net handle people want to use. Use anything you like and make your fishing kit your own. If we all used the "correct" thing then all our tackle would be identical; what a horrible thought. Regarding more posts from Adrian I would think that highly unlikely as there is "banned" against his name on all the threads.

Howard,

I'd like to think I might have something useful to contribute but I find it a problem to find a thread that is actually about catching Barbel. I really don't care (and I'm sure the fish don't) what landing net handle people want to use. Use anything you like and make your fishing kit your own. If we all used the "correct" thing then all our tackle would be identical; what a horrible thought. Regarding more posts from Adrian I would think that highly unlikely as there is "banned" against his name on all the threads.

I think if you take a look back over the last couple of months and the threads that have been started, there is a very broad range. I think it's inevitable that a high proportion will relate to tackle/clothing advice. Most need to take care with how they spend their cash and understandably look to fellow anglers for advice and input before making a purchase.

I think the point was made by someone else in this thread that we could do with more conversation on general tactics and watercraft and I would certainly agree with that.

I have just noticed that Adrian has been banned. Oh dear.

i'm a member on lots of sites ,and theres not one that hasn't at some point had its rest/quiet periods ,some just find a level and stays that way while others bounce back .this is still faster and more productive than the old bulinton boards of the ninties when everyone was on dial up ,now adays most are on high speed broardband so the internet has opened up and spread peoples intrests further with much ,much more choice .

theres other outside forces at work as well ,the ressession has a knock on effect on peoples fishing causing some too cut back on there fishing ,like shorter trips or like me i've had too take on more hours & work saturdays just too keep up so this has had the knock on effect on my fishing .severly restricting my angling so much so i've only been fishing once in three trips planned and i'm not currently targeting barbel in a serious way .so i've not had much to contribute .i would guess theres lots of people who just aint been getting out as often as they'd liked and some will be making hay while the sun shines (or rather doesn't shine)

theres many factors at play that effect how active a forum is .you either stick with it and ride out the slower times or move on.

Making an observation really. Like many I enjoyed Adrians post as they were a refreshing change, though I didn't always ageee with them (newsflash you xant please all the people all the time) maybe blunt to some but they were his opinion And he stood by them.

Hey ho life goes on.

I am what could be termed a "lurker" I visit a few times a day I have no ulterior motive for lurking but don't post much as I often feel that I have nothing to add to what has already been posted, the more popular river threads are rivers I don't fish so have nothing to add to those but this is from what I can gather a much nicer place to visit than it used to be.

Bad news I'm afraid Graham: with an average of ten posts per month, you're more like a 'top poster' than a lurker!:D

Well joking aside there is the fault inherited within the system. If you don't post regularly then A it must be bile and B if you post and your not in the usual gang then its not a pertinent point that people will listen to.

Well joking aside there is the fault inherited within the system. If you don't post regularly then A it must be bile and B if you post and your not in the usual gang then its not a pertinent point that people will listen to.

Mel, I really don't believe that to be the case. If there is a "gang" then I imagine it is one that has built up, over time, as people have made the effort to post and respond to others that have posted and in doing so, revealed something of their character which in turn has enabled a connection with others to be made. Not really any different to how any other community is built. You have to make the effort.

Obviously if someone reveals a side to their character in which they trade in shrunken heads, keep reptiles, still live with their mum and have a sticky out belly button, then that's less good.

But no one has to post and that is absolutely fine. But I don't think it's fine to moan about a forum not being this, that or the other when you haven't really made any effort to contribute to it and help make it the place you would like it to be.

I think that people respond to those that muck in, make an effort and contribute.

Mel...a bit of paranoia there I think? I am a very regular poster, so probably one of those you term 'the usual gang', and I can assure you that very few of my posts are recognised as 'pertinent points', nor taken much notice of....other than to slag them off as being 'bile' :D Get posting and try to develop a thicker skin is surely the way to go. I am sure I will get there, given another ten years :D:D

Most of them are actually really nice guys, truth be known :)

Cheers, Dave.

I been on here for years .Yes sometimes when we have what rod or what landing net gets a bit boring but I guess it was the same for some lads back then. I agree about facebook killing a lot of forums but I had to come away from some groups as they was doing my head in to say the least too many trying to make a name for themselves. But on BFW I have made some good friends life time friends and not to forget the Fish inn with BFW which we made £1000 for the day.There is a couple of things I want to bring up but im leaving it till after severn drops back down just to see if im right or wrong (again)

Last edited:
I must admit to not posting as much as I used to but then again, I don`t fish for barbel as much as I used to, only a few times a year now. Sites ebb and flow but BFW has always been one of the very best on the web. Ok, at times theres definitely clicks but it all evens itself out eventually.
I was miffed when a recent thread of mine requesting non swim specific info for the Nene was totally ignored but after a bit of thought I should have titled the thread `Which Flurocarbon for the Nene` or `What Landing Net Handle for the Old Watermill Stretch` then I`d have probably been able to get more response..................make of it what you will...........

Martin

My opinion of things like what you speak of is that people are more protective of their own fishing

Maybe it's down to pressure and decreasing numbers of barbel on certain rivers

I recently had a similar thing on the Bristol Avon thread , there are probably quite a few fishing it but very reluctant to give anything anyway . Although I did get some info via pm ,

Barbel angling is changing , some feel for the worse , others the better . It's all about opinions and we all have one !

Last edited:
Bit off topic so sorry guys but Stuart, I totally agree mate.
I`d called the local tackle shop by the Aquadrome which proved fruitless (as was the visit paid to them on the day). All I wanted was as area where I could fish without poaching. Didn`t need swims, baits, rigs, I can blank anywhere in the country so don`t need help in that respect!!!! I was in the area with six or seven hours to spare and fancied fishing a new river, thats it. No new campaign or bank tramping chasing elusive monsters, just an angler looking to pass an afternoon doing what they love in an unfamiliar area.

In the end I drove round in circles finding nothing but club water that didn`t do day tickets so wasted the day and ended up sitting in the car in a lay by playing Angry Birds `til I had to go and pick Tracy up.

I`ll still gladly share my knowledge of the Severn with anyone but feel miffed that not one person could come out from their Drey and share `precious` info..................

Last edited:
Back