• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

For my two pennyworth its become sterile on here, just my opinion

Chris, what would you like to see more of/less of to make it less sterile?

Ability to discuss/debate a broader range of subjects? : use the social/other species boards

Expanded posting boundaries to accommodate more edge and bite? : not sure that is welcoming or inclusive particularly given many different people will look in on the site. Is it really necessary to provoke conflict, use aggressive language and put downs for the forum to be a place you want to visit? Is it a surrogate social life? If it is and that's what people want to see more of then we know there is another forum people can join- it's a free country.

The Ribble river report is one of the jewels in this forums crown. Great banter, very funny, sometimes edgy, almost always hard to understand and a warm sense of companionship. A perfect illustration of how to get the balance right in my opinion. And one day, I would like to go fishing with those Ribble chaps.

Chris, there is only so many times it can be said, people should move elsewhere if BFW just isn't what they want in forum, it's that simple.

I can remember when you were really struggling to get off the ground Andy. A group of us came on and turned this board around. Many many more came in after us and BFW grew and you started to make money. I have absolutely no problem with that. Now that the vast majority of those great guys who used to post here have gone, BFW is going down the pan period. And its been going down the slippery slide for some time. Is it because of moderation? I seriously doubt that simply because all those great guys back then knew how to make a post or debate an issue without making things personal or libelous. We just told it how we saw it and always had respect for those on opposing sides of an argument. Posts were full of humour and penmanship. What came after our exodus has now't to do with us. Is it because of your management? Whats to manage? Boards like this are ten a penny and can be set up in minutes with websites being created in an hour or so simply because the internet is so user friendly now. OK it takes time to fill a site with content but even here you haven't done that, others have done it for you and for FREE AS WELL!!!

Sorry old love but the days of angling boards like this one are over.

At least Damians hogwash is entertaining.

Regards,

Lee.

Flippin heck Lee, what might we have to read if you didn't mind blowing your own trumpet?

Damian

Hi Lee,
I suggest you re-read your post mate......I imagine if you do that you will feel pretty embarrassed.... look up the word conceit in the dictionary then take a look in the mirror.....
Regards,
Graham.

Lee, why do you even bother looking in on BFW if that is your view, somewhat contradictory isnt it especially as the days of angling boards like this one are over ? For me and many others I still enjoy BFW and hope it continues for many years to come.

There is still plenty to keep me entertained/amused/and informed on BFW..Dont know what makes a great guy in Lee's eyes but for me there are plenty of helpful knowledgeable people on here...I look forward to my daily visits to BFW and long may it continue....If you dont like it then simples dont look in:eek:

Quick point - and don't bite my head off - I've just caught up with the last few pages of this thread. Lee, who i'd like to add i do not know, gave his opinion and basically has been told by a few of you "if you don't like it FO" and in other words if he does not like what is on here then do not come on the forum any more.

I see a few of you have mentioned this then what i am interested in is some of these same posters have mentioned not only in this thread but many others about how much they dislike "the other site" and its users.

Well surely doesn't this message you say to Lee apply to these same posters in terms of the "other site" in that if you do not like what is posted on there then simply do not go on it and surely do not then discuss what is on there on here which means it is broadcast to an even bigger audience?? Surely this point makes what you are saying to Lee slightly contradictory?

For example, I'm an Aston Villa fan and have an intense dislike of Birmingham City (naturally). On the few football forum fan sites i use you do not find me regularly mentioning Birmingham City in my posts. In fact i barely ever talk about them and i don't want anyone to talk about them!! I think you can see the point im trying to say.

I know i am probably going to get moaned at now by some of you but i am merely voicing my opinion. I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone.

Ben, well I certainly won't moan at you, other than in relation to your terrible allegiance to Aston Villa. I did look into the other site but purely out of curiosity and I had a good rummage about too. I didn't join the site to tell all the other members how awful they all are and that I found the swearing unsettling. I decided it wasn't for me and haven't looked in since.

The history of this site (and way before my time so I can't comment with authority) has been referenced in this thread with mention of previous members and the great and negative impact their loss to the forum has had. My sense is that the content and style of the other forum has been indirectly offered up as a fine example of what we are missing. Many members here are simply disagreeing with that notion and of course others are agreeing.

I think we are just debating the sort of forum we as members would like this to be and as such all opinions are of course valid. But I stand by the observation that if this really isn't suiting people then they do have the power to take themselves elsewhere.

Lets get one thing straight, lots of those members who were on the membership before the Big changeover and tightenin up on the boards are still here and because they dont post much or not at all they are still here
i think they got a bit sick of the constant pecking by a few jealous guys who aint on bfw no more but bet yer boots the guys still look in, sooner rather than later bfw will get stronger in membership, members posting content and
info,as Graham said more fish ins and events both south and north of the country,
the one thing i have noticed is the lack of newcomers to barbel fishing or if theyre here not posting, one thing they should realise is we all srted off on a learning curve, so ask away nobody will treat you with nothing but help, info and friendship, if your shy of posting here DONT BE:):) theres no reason to feel embarrassed at starting off, ask and use whats offered in return to your asking:):):)

Yes JW, the old guard still look in, as do I now and again, and as do you and Lee. Don't have much to say though these days.

Howard, the old days on here were nothing like the "alternative" board talked about.

Most here were dedicated barbel anglers of long standing. I think a lot left (or stopped posting) as we seemed not to have much in common with the new generation of barbel anglers that have popped up this last few years.

These boards will continue to be enjoyed by some......... but it aint what it was, that's for sure.

I think everyone has missed the main reason that the forums not as enlightening as it once was; Derek stopped posting.

The thought of discovering his magic rig or waiting for the design of his quality street tin bait dropper kept everyone on their feet and maintained innovative postings!

yes we had/ have some real characters and derek was one of em, we still got Albert bless him going on 80 and still barbel fishes,Dick is another character and a barbel man with great natural skills both in fishing and talking to females rowing on the thames:D:D:D:D that geezer could chat up a lady scarecrow if he found one:eek::):):) loads more but i reckon they,ll still post the odd post sometime, nice to see yer posting tony, are you still fishing the spanish rivers mate?:):):)

Yes JW, the old guard still look in, as do I now and again, and as do you and Lee. Don't have much to say though these days.

Howard, the old days on here were nothing like the "alternative" board talked about.

Most here were dedicated barbel anglers of long standing. I think a lot left (or stopped posting) as we seemed not to have much in common with the new generation of barbel anglers that have popped up this last few years.

These boards will continue to be enjoyed by some......... but it aint what it was, that's for sure.

There has never been a forum in the history of the internet, and trust me, I've been on a few, where the "Old Guard" don't reminisce about the mythical golden era which has been lost.

It's usually misty-eyed nonsense. People remember the good and forget the bad when it comes to the past.

Maybe Paul, then again...... I suppose you have to have been there in the first place to have the opportunity.

Yes JW, six or seven times a year, next trip over soon. As I recall Derek wasn't actually called Derek at all.

Personally speaking I think it is just a natural progression as things gain in popularity.

Paul, beleive me i never try to look back mate, with me i only have one direction and thats forward, i suppose some would say i am old guard its just an expression, i have been on bfw for about 14 years now and its the best thing thats happened to me fishingwise, i have made 100s of friends ant nice aquaintancies who all have barbel fishing and fishing as a forerunner in their interests, have learned lots and lots of tips, places to fish, equipment wot and wot not to get and had the best fishing weekends at bfw events that i have ever had, only old guard anyone would ever get from me is to do my own bit in my own way to help protect BFW for the reasons above and because of the time and dedication given to us lot by Andy, claire and the team:):):)

John said

lots of tips, places to fish, equipment wot and wot not to get and had the best fishing weekends at bfw events that i have ever had,

Apart from when the Adder chased you on the Loddon Fish In John.:D:p :eek:

(we all thought it was a grass snake ;)

Graham

I'm surprised he managed to out run it Graham !!
In all seriousness I'm not keen on snakes and wouldn't have been hanging around long enough to see if it was an adder or not !!
As far as the good old days blah blah blah go, yes it's a real shame that the likes of Malc, Tommo and Huw etc etc no longer post, but I'm now lucky enough to count them as friends thanks to this site. Things and people change, Barbel fishing in general is suffering a bit of a dip due to the fact that many of the rivers are not what they were. I've only fished for Barbel about 5 or 6 times over the last couple of seasons, but I still enjoy BFW a lot and am happy to give a little of my time to help with the running of the site.
As with all forums, you will get out what you put in. People are surprisingly helpful, it's just that due to lurkers etc people are no longer willing to share info so freely on an open board !! I've never had someone, when contacted by PM refuse to help me..........

My my. What it is to have an opinion then get told to look in the mirror for a conceited reflection. And you wonder why a lot of guys don't come here any more? Don't worry, my time on here is almost over for the next couple of years. Just popped in to see if things had changed since my last visit.

Back