• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub

Cracking looking chub Andrew!
Will be out on the Teme tomorrow hopeing to catch a few myself.
Drennan super spiecalist for me;) with good old bread on it.

fished the kennet friday for a few hours,had this lovely chub,bang on 6lb..
thanks to the angler who took the pic.. 6lb chub 002.jpg

Struggeled for 6 chub today.
Could of done with your photographer Luke as my self portrait was rubbish:rolleyes:

I struggled for 1 chub today, everything was ok, i put it down to the bright sunny conditions.

I had a few over the weekend, this one being the biggest at 6lb3oz falling to cheese paste.
6lb3oz.jpg

I managed to miss a knock from what I think was a much bigger fish so I will defiantly be back for a crack at it!

Anyone have any idea of how long it could take for a Chub to get up to six pounds? Obviously depends on lots of factors. Be interesting to know…….

Tom

Had a 6lb 4oz chub yesterday that equalled my pb from the Lea...only this time it was caught intentionally rather than when persuing barbel. Self-photography was carried out in arctic conditions....& managed to decapitate myself in the photo that is most complimentary to the fish. If i wasn't such a luddite or suffered from techno-phobia i could upload the picture as it a very atmospheric.

Regards

Andy

Andy...your not the only one I had a lovely pb chub at 6lb 2oz last week from a small stream got some reasonable photos of it but aint got a clue how to upload and my patience is not good with computers. this being my 5th 6lber but my most enjoyable.

One thing I've found recently though....I fish waters stuffed with crays and even in these cold temps they have been a pain with bread, worms and cheese paste. So I thought stuff it and went onto big pelllets not really expecting much, however it's severly increased the cray plucks and pulls. got me thinking if they are on the bait surely the chub would be intersted. started using a feeder instead of PVA, stepped up the casting until the crays slowed down or stopped then clipped a bomb on and sat and waited with a big pellet. It's improved my catches in the last couple of weeks bringing me bream and chub. So it does make me think that the fish have adjusted to this lomg term cold weather along with the crays and are willing to havwe a go.

I think if i stuck to traditional winter chub baits and roving I would not have caught so much. Just been using damp small pellets in a gripmesh feeder and 10 or 20 mm pellet on a band nothing fancy.

It has surprised me though...anbody else finding things a bit odd at the moment?

cheers
jason

Now now Jason, tell the truth..... you just don't know how to do a photo shop job do you?:p

And don't ask me coz I ain't got a clue.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Had a session after chub on the Severn above Shrewsbury this afternoon. One rod maggot feeder, another alternating cheesepaste and crust.
Roamed over 6 or 7 swims and finally managed a nice fish of 4.01 on crust just as it was going dark, worth staying out for! :)

Every minute counts before the 15th...

A 45 minute session straight after work this evening produced this nice 6lber! Had all sorts of trouble getting the camera to focus in the low light, but at least I got a photo! :)

First-6lber-600.jpg

When fishing for barbs with hair rigged pellets we all end up with these nagging pulls n taps but no fish so in the past I have banded the pellets if I want to catch chub. Today Tried another approach that could catch chub n barbs I increased the length of the hair to about 1" I ended up with 15 chub not all caught with this method but 3 were (meat for 2 and elip pellet the other) I think that by increasing the hair length the chub sucks the bait all the way back to the throat before feeling any resistence by which time the hook is inside the lip with the normal hair length resistence is felt when the bait is just in the lips. I hope I have explained it so you can understand it as anyone else tried this method?

Thats interesting Jim, what I've found recently is that those annoying plucks and taps have been developing into whacking great bites when using a fairly short hair. What I think is happening is that the chub are plucking at the bait and feeling the resistance of the lead/rod top without getting hooked, this increases their confidence so they end up nailing it. Either that or I'm just catching the suicidal ones that accidentally hook themselves....

A 45 minute session straight after work this evening produced this nice 6lber! Had all sorts of trouble getting the camera to focus in the low light, but at least I got a photo! :)

Lovely fish mate, I just cant seem to break through the 6lb barrier this year, been close though. Either its going to happen tomorrow or thats it for another season!

Magnificent chub(s) Julian. They do seem to develop these huge bellies at this size/weight.

Give it a year, it could be an 8 next time. :)

Back