• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub

Chris Fox

Looking forward to catching a few on purpose this winter, especially if the temps stay low.

However, a slightly inane question to start with about bread. I notice that most people stick with white bread... has anyone ever had success with brown? I ask because I'm planning a trip tomorrow morning and only have a loaf of brown bread in the house!

Whole wheat!
Must be good for them. :D
Seriously though, I think the colour comes from the different flours etc and from the addition of sweateners like molasses.
Should act as an extra attractant?

i have had afew chub on brown bread,as long as it is moist and stays on the hook it will work
imo any edible bait presented correctly will catch chub if they are feeding

mike

They'll be de-toxing after Christmas so they are bound to go for wholemeal.

I'll be sticking with cheesepaste for my chub adventures this winter. I had one on the 28th of average size, and I'll be back again for more new years day. Got my eye on a particularly fat specimen.

Still trying to break that 5lb mark on the WA.
Had a 4lb 15oz on Sunday along with a few others around the 4lb mark.
Took one on cheese paste.

Wrapping the paste around a 7mm pellet.
Its interesting watching the bite develop with lots of knocks and taps before the take.

I'm going tomorrow. The paste is thawing nicely and pongs a bit too. Boilie and paste for after sundown, not that I am holding out too much hope of a bonus barbel, but you never know.

I haven't tried wrapping the paste around a pellet. I am just wrapping round the hook, but often I will just use straight Danish Blue when the temps drop very low. A neat trick shared with me by a very good chub angler. The fat in the cheese hardens up enough for it to withstand a few casts, but you can strike through it easily when a bite finally materialises.

The Kelly Kettle is also packed. Hot drinks will be the order of the day I think.

I was thinking of just taking the stove and no rod.......:mad:

While on the subject anyone want to share their set ups with us? I am using 6lb.line straight through to a 6 or 8 hook with a running link leger made up of swanshot but may now try a size 10 with hair rigged cheese paste, also cheese paste is the only bait that i have tried......

8" of snow on the ground, -5c two flasks of coffee and 4 chub.. a nice day. All taken on a cheese feast squab pop-up..job done!

chub.jpg

While on the subject anyone want to share their set ups with us? I am using 6lb.line straight through to a 6 or 8 hook with a running link leger made up of swanshot but may now try a size 10 with hair rigged cheese paste, also cheese paste is the only bait that i have tried......

10lb main line.
Running ledger. (I like the Korum Feedabeads)
Buffer bead to a size 8 swivel and a combi hook link to a size 8 Korda curve shank.
Hair long enough to take 2 x 8mm or 10mm pellets tight against the bend or 1 pellet wrapped in cheese paste. :)

I don't know if its just me but seem the find more success with double smaller pellets than singles or single larger pellet which seemed better in the Summer / Autumn

Brilliant Patrick...... can't wait to get some serious snow around here, mite not catch but i'm determined to have a darn good go :D

Not the best of pics (taken at dusk with my phone):

4245697479_b3140ba244.jpg

3lb 2oz 8dr chub taken from the River Foss above York.

For those that don't know the river, it's a bit like this (not my picture):

715758_46d523e9.jpg

Caught on hair-rigged cheese paste, size 14 hook, 6lb line straight-through, and a 2-swan shot link ledger.

R.

10lb main line.
Running ledger. (I like the Korum Feedabeads)
Buffer bead to a size 8 swivel and a combi hook link to a size 8 Korda curve shank.
Hair long enough to take 2 x 8mm or 10mm pellets tight against the bend or 1 pellet wrapped in cheese paste. :)

I don't know if its just me but seem the find more success with double smaller pellets than singles or single larger pellet which seemed better in the Summer / Autumn

10lb mainline ? seems a bit extreme Gary, or is that with Barbel in mind as well ?

Nice one patrick. Looks proper cold, too. Great photo.

I am tempted to go today, but would I make it back on my bike I wonder? Snow, ice and cold north easterlies all day long....

John - set up wise, pretty simple for me. A rig ring, or swivel, with some 10lb mono tied on or looped through (depending on how cold my fingers are). One or two swan shot pinched on. This is threaded up the 8lb Krystonite mainline which has already had a couple of float stops slid along it. I add a couple more stops to keep the swan shot link in place. Add a size 8 or 10 G4 or Owner hook, and I'm fishing.

Rod - TFG Whisper River and Stream, 1lb 2oz
Reel - Stradic GTM x 4000
Bait - Cheesepaste

Not the best of pics (taken at dusk with my phone):

4245697479_b3140ba244.jpg

3lb 2oz 8dr chub taken from the River Foss above York.

For those that don't know the river, it's a bit like this (not my picture):

715758_46d523e9.jpg

Caught on hair-rigged cheese paste, size 14 hook, 6lb line straight-through, and a 2-swan shot link ledger.

R.

Big fish for what looks like a very diminutive stream. Well done. It is surprising how big Chub will go in the unlikeliest looking venues.

Left work early due to the snow.
Had about 2 inches fall at home and now have this mad urge to go and try catch some chub in the snow...... :eek:

Back