• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub

Big fish for what looks like a very diminutive stream. Well done. It is surprising how big Chub will go in the unlikeliest looking venues.

Yes, there's some fantastic fishing to be had, especially in winter. Chub, dace, roach, trout, gudgeon. I've fished when it was stupidly low, ie. 6"-12" deep and still caught chub to > 2lb.

It was stocked with barbel recently (couple of years ago). They have been seen since in the close season but i don't know of anyone who's managed to find and catch one yet.

R.

Set-up is 4lb gamma through to hook, small stonze weight on link held in place by gripper stop.. nice and simple. Bait was a pop-up fished at differing depths so plenty of action in the flow too to enhance visual appeal of bait... worked a treat!

squabonhook.jpg

Have to admit I hardly ever fish for Chub intentionally and they tend to happen along as a bi-product of carping or barbeling but I thought I would let you in on something.

Look away if you dont like blatant plugs :p

Get on the Monster Crab Waka from Spa Baits - Chub adore them!
I have tried plenty of different boilies over the years are nothing even comes close.

While on the subject anyone want to share their set ups with us? I am using 6lb.line straight through to a 6 or 8 hook with a running link leger made up of swanshot but may now try a size 10 with hair rigged cheese paste, also cheese paste is the only bait that i have tried......

Tbh, I think a lot depends on the numbers (and maybe sizes) of fish in your stretch.

I fish the Lea, river, relief channel and navigation. There are times and places where a good stickfloat angler (not me) with a few pints of maggots can winkle out a good bagfull including some very big fish (6's and 7's). However, 90% of my chub-fishing is spent at night in areas where 1, maybe 2 bites a session is as much as can be expected, so I've found that boilies (in the winter) tend to produce the better fish. I do quiver-tip during the day if I arrive early enough, worm and prawn being my preferred baits before the crays become active; very soft rod, 5lb line and soft braid link on a small bomb or a light feeder with the same bait chopped up inside.

It became too frustrating sitting in the cold for hours on end and then missing that one knock, so bolt-rigs and short stiff links became the norm.

Stopped using cheesepaste due to the crays love of it, soft boilies and paste in the lead produce the most consistent action.

Having said that, when it's cold and clear and you're fishing to an hour after dark, I don't think you can beat maggot feeder, top the swim up regularly and have a very short link. Biggest problem then is if they miss the hookbait and start trying to eat the whole feeder. That's good fun!

If I was on a river like Robin's, I think I'd put some hemp or bread-mash in as many likely looking spots as I could find (and remember) and then fish bread, meat, worm or cheese in sequence about 30-40 minutes each.

I've often seen this thing about "If you don't catch first cast or 15-20 miniutes, move on", but chub do move around a fair bit and particularly after dark and I feel if an area is a good one for features, it's just as worthwhile sticking it out as moving. The varying amount of time between casting and getting a fish in any particular swim can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 6 hours, with multiples coming if you get one early and keep the bait going in. Especially with particles.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get out for some chubbing this weekend. Do they still feed normally when it gets this cold?

Without stating the obvious Andy, you have always a chance of a chub or a roach pick up fella, have a go mate you might just be suprised and that'll give you the confidence.

Go for it ;)
Be lucky mate

I'm hoping to get out for some chubbing this weekend. Do they still feed normally when it gets this cold?

If the temperature has remained consistent (even consitently bloomin cold) and your venue does not get a deluge of snow melt then chub and roach as Derren says are the two species to set your stall out for.

You might have to move about a bit to find them, but that's a good thing in this weather...

Last edited:
Nice one....

....does look a bit like a big old deadbait though with that snow on it:eek:

Paul

Evening all,

Some nice fish there guys, well done.

I spent 5 days last week fishing The Dorset Stour for the chevins. God it was cold (only fished for 4 as conditions on weds were awful).

I managed a PB of 6.3:)
380964924.jpg

And my mate Paul had a cracker and seasons best of 6.11:)
380964883.jpg

Method we used was a bit different to some of you guys, small in line feeder fished 'bolt rig' style stopped by a float stop on 6lb mainline, at the business end was a Korum quickchange bead with a 1 inch hooklength of 4lb Fireline braid and a size 20 hook. Fished single maggot hookbait and went through I think 5 gallons of maggots over the 4 days fishing dawn till dusk each day.

Cheers Lewis:)

5 Gallons of maggots?????:eek::eek:Whats wrong with the best fishing bait of them all a worm! Only joking mate. Hows thing with you? Thats a monster chub your mate paul has caught and your is a good fish aswell. Keep it up mate.

Cheers Ian :)

Lewis,

I might be around your way friday evening for a spot of chubing after work if the weather is ok. Will let you know.

Cheers Ian :)

Back