• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

braid for mainline

3 to 4ft of 20lb amnesia tied with a Albright knot to 30lb power pro.

Any of you power pro users use 2 rods and try to sink the braid on the deck?

3 to 4ft of 20lb amnesia tied with a Albright knot to 30lb power pro.

Exactly what i said to Jon on the phone, been out tonight on the tt had 6 runs lost 5, absoutely livid, but there was nothing i could do fishing near a snag pit and not a thing i could do with any fish. 3-4 decent thuds and then snagged need to rethink the stratergy for the new peg iv fished!!

Exactly what i said to Jon on the phone, been out tonight on the tt had 6 runs lost 5, absoutely livid, but there was nothing i could do fishing near a snag pit and not a thing i could do with any fish. 3-4 decent thuds and then snagged need to rethink the stratergy for the new peg iv fished!!

Runs ? Best to fish locked up if you must fish in snags Wayne, one rod obviously. Sorry mate but losing 5 fish in snags is pretty poor.

Last edited:
I do apologise the first two were runs, the other three were bites to which i was sat on the rod. No matter who or what your abilitys are getting a fish out of there is not easy by any means and unless i keep at it i never will. More fish have been lost than landed by anyone whos fished it. Yeah it is poor but on other hand it shows what im doing works and means i can go back with a stepped up tactic to try and combat the fish at some point

I do apologise the first two were runs, the other three were bites to which i was sat on the rod. No matter who or what your abilitys are getting a fish out of there is not easy by any means and unless i keep at it i never will. More fish have been lost than landed by anyone whos fished it. Yeah it is poor but on other hand it shows what im doing works and means i can go back with a stepped up tactic to try and combat the fish at some point

So anyone (not sure what who you are has to do with anything) who fishes that swim loses more fish than they land in the snags ? and you manage to lose 5 out of 6. That all sounds like catch at all costs to me Wayne, if you find what you have described above acceptable then i for one find that a bit depressing, surely you can catch a few other than resorting to fishing directly into a snag pit mate.

Has anyone used the new version of the Nash Bullet sinking braid?

Unbelievable, I did'nt realise it was a war..........

I fish a stretch of the Middle Trent with a similar snag peg on a weir run-off, and we get the same old faces fishing into or on top of it, God knows how many fish die each season as a result of being tethered and the more that are lost the bigger the snag becomes.........

Wayne, with respect, if you really want to give yourself a pat on the back and prove that "it shows what I am doing works" try feeding them upstream and away and then give yourself and the fish a chance of getting them out.

I'm afraid you'll get less bites though.........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Braid for the mainline was the title and it sounds like no thickness of braid will sort your issues,it will just tether fish totally.First you need to lead the snag to understand what you have got out there,no terminal tackle,just a lead,if you lose the lead then its probably impossible to fish,with the fishes welfare being the issue.You might find an area that can be fished without too much problems,even if you have to upstream to the spot.Next tackle,no matter how heavy your line is if your rod is too soft,or you do not give it some, then you are wasting your time.A harrison chimera floodwater,nash fang gaper DS hook, big centre pin with 12lb minimum line and plastecene for the weight will give you a chance.You need to hold the rod and you will need to hit the bite as soon as possible.For the next 2 or 3 seconds you need to wind that pin,and give nothing,even if the rod is in a c ,then you can usually play them in the open.This is a brutal method and as other people say think of the fish and what you are doing to them.Lastly i do not fish like this normally ,but sometimes have done so in the past in tight swims.

Sorry Wayne for me that is plain wrong, the 'snag pit' is where the fish feel secure, and without such safe havens probably that stretch wouldn't hold as many Barbel, as said the skill would be in getting a few away from the snags with correct feeding.

Going back to with stepped up tactics? Jeez it ain't war is it? Surely if Jon can catch 1,500 Barbel from a prolific river such as the Trent why kill the Barbel in getting even?

Hang on lads read the thread!!!!!! The braid has nothing to do with the fish iv lost its not even on the same subject the braid is for a total different river!!!!

Hang on, every fish gets leathered everytime the rod tip goes is that totally different then??????. May i also add my rigs are 100% safe and the peg i fished was in fact a new peg.

Sorry lads but i asked for an opinion/advice on a braided mainline. The next minute i cant hammered for how im fishing and in all fairness 9 out of 10 have never even seen me fish let alone fished the same stretch of river. Yeah i went and fished where i havnt before and lost the fish at no point did i kill any fish. another peg i fish is also horrible with snags to which iv had 29 fish in 3 sessions 5 of which were doubles including two 14s should i not be fishing this peg aswel as there is a snag?, because iv lost 4 fish on there. What about the ones iv caught that are trailing hookilnks. However i will return to same peg and fish it with different tactics and if i dont manage to land them, then i will not fish it again as there is no other chance of getting them out other than dynamite but my supply is low :D

Wayne, in your post #25 of this thread you freely state that you lost five out of six fish in a snag. That's what I and I suspect others find abhorrent. You really should have moved swims with that poor rate. The Trent is hardly short of productive swims.

Sometimes in life instead of defending the indefensible it is better to say "fair comment", learn from it and move on.

Cheers,

Gavin

Last edited:
Back