• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel framed print - john searl - rare - ltd - edtion -

I should also add that the number of prints shouldn't adversely affect the viewer's/owner's appreciation of what is undoubtedly a fine painting of a barbel.

Whether or not it will effect the second-hand value of the prints is another matter...

Hi Tim/ Steve, Please be advised " Limited Edition " means exactly that .
Please rest assured there was no open addition to this piece and how it was originally represented, apart from the much smaller one already mentioned.

What Steve has and is giving reference to is in-fact a surplus of the artist's proof, hence no number. Normally around 10% of the actual run . I have given reference to these within my Ebay listing. Still quite a valuable piece, generally John would make these available for around half of the cost of a numbered example. The last of these sold in the shop for £450 in 2006 . Though not as collectable, very much worth having. This makes my numbered piece with an original remark," an absolute steal " to anyone in the know!

Quite confusing if your not aware how these are created.
I need to find someone that spent some time in John's shop , i loved it!.......
Regards Mark........

Last edited:
Oh come on guys really, if the guy tries to sell an item on classified then whats wrong with that.
i have no doubt that most on here soon figure things out themselves,the ones that cant usually get some opinions from others, this guy seems to know an awful lot about J.Searle and maybe a refreshing source of info and interest on th boards, the only thing i knew about J.S. was that he came across with some radical new sunglasses called searles adjustables about 46 years ago and at that time was the best sunglasses for fishing that could be obtained.
as far as comments go about special differences for a selective few remember one thing before all else!
This is a private website and if Andy chooses to allow some things its his site and right to do so!, theres so much that some dont know or understand,
long live BFW and a merry xmas

this topic has over 2000 views , mark now has 22 posts , every one on this thread

maybe more members than realised have taken offence to this and voted with their feet 'so to speak'

if he has more to offer , he could have contributed to the river thread he fishes or fished ? who knows ...........?

what i do know is , even though no BFW rule has been broken ,joining a forum with no intention of contributing , just to promote a sale , its not cricket in my eyes:rolleyes:

a rule should be put in place to stop this sort of thing in the future

this topic has over 2000 views , mark now has 22 posts , every one on this thread

maybe more members than realised have taken offence to this and voted with their feet 'so to speak'

if he has more to offer , he could have contributed to the river thread he fishes or fished ? who knows ...........?

what i do know is , even though no BFW rule has been broken ,joining a forum with no intention of contributing , just to promote a sale , its not cricket in my eyes:rolleyes:

a rule should be put in place to stop this sort of thing in the future

Educating many of you is becoming "quite a contribution"
No it's not cricket, and I don't suppose you understand that either! lets hit the ball before you make judge here............

condescending now ..........classy

cricket , don't teach grandma to suck eggs old bean :D

If the comments that iv'e seen here were only condescending, I'd be felling there's more class present too.

I'm sure the crickets got to be better.

Note; if you take a look, many of the comments I've included here have nothing to do with the classified made,they are added contributions..........

Last edited:
I for one have not been offended by Mark or any of his posts. What offends the credibility and integrity of this forum is some of the language used to make inferences about individuals who choose to join the forum and sell items, quite legitimately, on the dedicated classified threads. It must be remembered that this is a site primarily set up for and dedicated to angling for Barbel, but with threads available for a range of other species and a classified section. Perhaps, based on some of the words posted on this thread, it would be a good idea to completely remove classifieds from the site as some of the comments posted just beggar belief for such a gentle subject as angling and are Orwellian in the extreme.

I have not been a major contributor on here, in fact it has taken me nearly 4 years to notch up this, my 100th mail.

I too have not been happy at some of the vitriol that has been directed at Mark and his classified submission. It must make him reticent to contribute beyond this current thread. It certainly will make me think long and hard before I post anything which may be even a little controversial or 'left field'.

I think that the time has now come for the Moderators to step in and bring it to an end. In the modern parlance, END OF!
Bob

I for one have not been offended by Mark or any of his posts. What offends the credibility and integrity of this forum is some of the language used to make inferences about individuals who choose to join the forum and sell items, quite legitimately, on the dedicated classified threads. It must be remembered that this is a site primarily set up for and dedicated to angling for Barbel, but with threads available for a range of other species and a classified section. Perhaps, based on some of the words posted on this thread, it would be a good idea to completely remove classifieds from the site as some of the comments posted just beggar belief for such a gentle subject as angling and are Orwellian in the extreme.

Why remove the classifieds? Similar if there is a disagreement on another forum you wouldn't call for a total close down, would you?

However there is some credence in my opinion in not letting anyone one post items up for sale until a certain number of posts have been posted. That is the way that some other sites proceed, and given the value of some items I can see the sense in that.

That is not a dig at Mark, however Mark has reached a reasonable post count already without leaving the classified section :) so he might just be within the 'acceptable' good egg test before he puts up the rest of his collection.

Certainly I won't be shelling out £400 though certainly would find that hard to explain away to the missus, and the hang the thing on the wall as a constant reminder of my folly, bad enough having to hide the 'essential' rods and reels in the garage.:eek:

But seriously when does a print albeit a limited edition attract such a high price? OK it is a Barbel, but still a pretty narrow potential buying audience, now wonder Mark though that putting it up on here was the last throw of the dice. You know a fool and his money:p

How many posts /pages is it now? Must be a record especially for that ads, still ...

Merry Christmas you crazy barbel nutters.:eek:

If the comments that iv'e seen here were only condescending, I'd be felling there's more class present too.

I'm sure the crickets got to be better.

Note; if you take a look, many of the comments I've included here have nothing to do with the classified made,they are added contributions..........

Cricket :eek:

Very very poor analogy under the circumstances :mad:

So am I getting this right? If you don't post regularly or perhaps have senior member status your not welcome to post or sell things?
Not exactly the warm friendly atmosphere that surely should be offered to all.

Keep smiling Mark it confuses them .

Blimey. 72 replies and 2000 veiws:eek::eek::)
Mark start a few threads on the forum mate it could do with livening up at the moment:) oh and i am being serious about it, i feel you have lots to interest us

Bob, can I direct you back to the 19th post, where I said.....

Welcome Mark.....

To be honest, I'm not 'comfortable' with the questioning of someones post in the classified section, whether that be questioning their price, or the fact that they haven't posted before.....

There is nothing in the rules that says a poster can't come on and 'sell' something on their first post.
It's probably not ideal for the forum, but at the end of the day there are no rules been broken.

If Mark or anyone else want to come on and post items for sale, then until there is a rule that says they cant, I don't see a problem....

It does come across and a bit of a 'clique'....

Oh and I use lots of ....... Mark, so don't let that put you off......

Steve

So am I getting this right? If you don't post regularly or perhaps have senior member status your not welcome to post or sell things?
Not exactly the warm friendly atmosphere that surely should be offered to all.

Keep smiling Mark it confuses them .

Well some might and in fact some forums do prefer that members do have a posting record before they can sell on the classifieds, I in particular have a lot of faith in folk, but nothing wrong in having a bit of understanding before you part with a large sum of cash.

Would you buy say a Harrison rod or similar from a 1st post member?

Ebay at least does have a feedback score that you can look at, that is why I am sure some forums prefer that the member is 'known' and trusted.

All for warm and friendly mind, but meanwhile there are some nasty little crims out there, nothing wrong with a bit of security.

In response to some of the above, most other forums don't have members identified by name, which is probably why they don't allow sales until a fixed number of posts.

Back