• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel framed print - john searl - rare - ltd - edtion -

Well some might and in fact some forums do prefer that members do have a posting record before they can sell on the classifieds, I in particular have a lot of faith in folk, but nothing wrong in having a bit of understanding before you part with a large sum of cash.

Would you buy say a Harrison rod or similar from a 1st post member?

Ebay at least does have a feedback score that you can look at, that is why I am sure some forums prefer that the member is 'known' and trusted.

All for warm and friendly mind, but meanwhile there are some nasty little crims out there, nothing wrong with a bit of security.

Hello again ! before I joined the Forum I had a registration process to complete, in which you took many of my personal detail. Bfw then ask me to make a purchase from you! again giving up more personal info inc- my bank details.

With regards to your reference to Ebay . I mentioned this item is on it in my listing , why not check- out my "100% feedback! " many of my high quality personal tackle items sold here.

And "once again , this item is being sold by direct exchange! this means you are obtaining it before you part with any of your ready's . " HOW INSECURE CAN YOU BE !!! " Are you all mister nice guys because your on the forum........

Last edited:
Hello again ! before I joined the Forum I had a registration process to complete, in which you took many of my personal detail. Bfw then ask me to make a purchase from you! again giving up more personal info inc- my bank details.

With regards to your reference to Ebay . I mentioned this item is on it in my listing , why not check- out my "100% feedback! " many of my high quality personal tackle items sold here.

And "once again , this item is being sold by direct exchange! this means you are obtaining it before you part with any of your ready's . " HOW INSECURE CAN YOU BE !!! " Are you all mister nice guys because your on the forum........

How does this "direct exchange" thingy work Mark? I have never bought anything from the classifieds here or eBay where I haven't had to hand the dosh over first. But it might just be I haven't been paying attention, which is entirely possible.

Me, I can be very insecure. But I blame Carol Brown for that and the "episode" that occurred in the stationery cupboard in the school art room in 1978.

Me I am the most least insecure bloke I know, especially when it comes to things like buying goods off ebay or on here, and buy I do. However I wasn't alluding to you at all with my last comments, I was illustrating what could go wrong and does at times.

Certainly on ebay I feel less protected than I do on here because this is a community ,warts and all, where it would be the last place one would want do a 'wrong un'

Some might say that without selling fees than this site might be more favourable for a seller, which it is of course, and the lower asking prices often reflect this. So you perhaps should not take it too much to heart when your first post is to try and sell a £400 print and some folk take you to task on that, it's a community.

How does this "direct exchange" thingy work Mark? I have never bought anything from the classifieds here or eBay where I haven't had to hand the dosh over first. But it might just be I haven't been paying attention, which is entirely possible.

Me, I can be very insecure. But I blame Carol Brown for that and the "episode" that occurred in the stationery cupboard in the school art room in 1978.

Carol Brown sounds far more interesting than a picture of a fish, i too enjoyed art at school.

basically Howard , it's cash on delivery / cash on collect. Because of the nature and value of the item, the frame houses 3m/m glass , so needs handling with care. Hence this arrangement ......

I simply fail to see what Mark has done wrong?

Same old names!

Some people use this site as a shop and nobody says a word.

Bizarre.

Happy Winter Solstice to all.

Regards,

Jeff

I don't thing anyone is saying that Mark has done anything wrong and certainly nothing that is against the rules. Personally, I don't think it's right that people use the forum PURELY as a shop (and I am not saying that is Mark's intention). If everyone did that then it wouldn't be a forum, it would be an online shop and I don't believe that's what most people would want. But, in the overall scheme of things it hardly matters if a minority choose to do that. However, if someone new joins and it appears that is what they are doing (join one day, sell stuff the next) then that first sales post isn't necessarily going to get the most favourable response. It does not mean people are unfriendly or unwelcoming, they are just looking to preserve the essence of the forum. It's a community and this a function of community culture.

My only irritation (and we are allowed to express such things) is sales guff-there is far too much of that in the world as it is. So talking about the special nature of the piece and how it needs a valued and worthy home etc whilst also selling it on eBay (to whoever, wherever) can, like a cactus in your pyjamas, cause major irritation.

But, Mark is doing absolutely the right thing in bringing the piece to our attention, as it should appeal to this audience. And I am sure that Mark will go on to be a regular poster as he seems to have knowledge and insight to share and it's for that, that we should certainly welcome him.

Howard

Hi All,

I think that it's fine for someone to use the forum as a shop, I believe it will only add value to the forum.

• The 'community' can carry on being the 'community', as they do anyway.
  • There is more traffic on the classifieds from new 'sellers'
(you never know you might even be offered that must have item that could have passed you by if it wasn't for sale on here)

Surely this is a win win situation?

You could even consider that through friendly osmosis those 'sellers' might then be inclined to join in with the 'community' eventually.
(as long as they wern't chased off by the 'community' by being made to feel unwelcome before this happened)

Regards Neil

I don't thing anyone is saying that Mark has done anything wrong and certainly nothing that is against the rules. Personally, I don't think it's right that people use the forum PURELY as a shop (and I am not saying that is Mark's intention). If everyone did that then it wouldn't be a forum, it would be an online shop and I don't believe that's what most people would want. But, in the overall scheme of things it hardly matters if a minority choose to do that. However, if someone new joins and it appears that is what they are doing (join one day, sell stuff the next) then that first sales post isn't necessarily going to get the most favourable response. It does not mean people are unfriendly or unwelcoming, they are just looking to preserve the essence of the forum. It's a community and this a function of community culture.

My only irritation (and we are allowed to express such things) is sales guff-there is far too much of that in the world as it is. So talking about the special nature of the piece and how it needs a valued and worthy home etc whilst also selling it on eBay (to whoever, wherever) can, like a cactus in your pyjamas, cause major irritation.

But, Mark is doing absolutely the right thing in bringing the piece to our attention, as it should appeal to this audience. And I am sure that Mark will go on to be a regular poster as he seems to have knowledge and insight to share and it's for that, that we should certainly welcome him.

Howard

Thanks to all for your overwhelming contribution to this now! I too have had to experience quite a few pr**ks now! " Merry Christmas to all " and do hope you manage to get some nice Barbel pic's yourselves over the festive period. Tight-lines ...........

Last edited:
Hi All,

I think that it's fine for someone to use the forum as a shop, I believe it will only add value to the forum.

• The 'community' can carry on being the 'community', as they do anyway.
  • There is more traffic on the classifieds from new 'sellers'
(you never know you might even be offered that must have item that could have passed you by if it wasn't for sale on here)

Surely this is a win win situation?

You could even consider that through friendly osmosis those 'sellers' might then be inclined to join in with the 'community' eventually.
(as long as they wern't chased off by the 'community' by being made to feel unwelcome before this happened)

Regards Neil

Yes Neil that's absolutely right but the point (and not a major point by the way) being made is that as a minority activity on the forum of course it's fine and possibly adds something but obviously if it was actively encouraged and over time expanded its place and role in the forum then I think it would cause a shift in the forum which, to my mind, would be counter to what I believe is its purpose. Commerce infiltrates virtually every aspect of our lives and it would be nice to visit somewhere that isn't dominated by the desire to sell. I am quite content and competent to search the internet myself for the things I need.

Of course this is just my perspective.

Thats's fair comment Howard,
I suppose another option would be for people not to click on the classifieds section if they were not planning to purchase anything?

Neil

Thats's fair comment Howard,
I suppose another option would be for people not to click on the classifieds section if they were not planning to purchase anything?

Neil

I think that would be a shame Neil. The classified sections are great in my view, allowing members to fairly efficiently sell and exchange stuff with what should be a pretty receptive audience. I have bought quite a bit of gear and have always been impressed with the integrity of the seller in terms of accurate descriptions and speed of delivery. It's no nonsense and a nice break from the high street (real and digital). To my mind having a classified section that is generally free of professional sellers (if you know what I mean) would be a good thing. If there was an intention, which for reasons I have already given I would not support, to allow professional sellers to freely advertise etc then why not have a separate part of the forum which would contain either stuff to sell or links.

All this isn't black and white though as from time to time members with a product or service to sell do, with approval from Andy, advertise and I think that's fine and very healthy. But only because it is generally by exception, often there is a good cause involved and it's very often by established members with a history of contributing. And a forum's currency is the contributions the members make, because it's these that actually make it a forum.

And, we do have the BFW shop of course.

It's really no big deal this but there is lurking, albeit very deeply, a point of principle in terms of the nature, style and intent of the forum. That's why this isn't about Mark per se, it's about that point of principle.

Now can we please continue this debate because I am in the middle of an enormous family gathering and I need some sort of excuse to take myself off for a few minutes at a time. And Auntie Dora has just finished off my Sherry. Not impressed. Still, I have just encouraged the cat to vomit into her shoes.

Hi Howard
I have just managed to avoid a cinema trip to 'its a wonderful life' and have finished my Xmas Ham, boiled then glazed.
I have plenty of cheese paste ready for when the weather is a little kinder down here (no i am not selling any :))
I like looking at the classifieds, live and let live I say.
Do you not think there are items already sold semi proffesionally on here? by that i mean surely not all that is sold on here is just peoples surplus tackle?
So does it come down to the post count of the seller?

Neil

Hi Howard
I have just managed to avoid a cinema trip to 'its a wonderful life' and have finished my Xmas Ham, boiled then glazed.
I have plenty of cheese paste ready for when the weather is a little kinder down here (no i am not selling any :))
I like looking at the classifieds, live and let live I say.
Do you not think there are items already sold semi proffesionally on here? by that i mean surely not all that is sold on here is just peoples surplus tackle?
So does it come down to the post count of the seller?

Neil

Yes you may well be right Neil but overall it doesn't really matter because it's currently not a major aspect of the forum. No I don't think it comes down to post count, it's just about intent. You can't really test someone's intent when they join, although it can be fairly obvious based on their early contributions. All I think you can do, through moderation and the general response of the members (as we are doing now), is maintain, debate and convey the values and objectives of the forum so that those that do join with a particular intent will quickly get a sense of the likely response they will get.

Howard

Yes you may well be right Neil but overall it doesn't really matter because it's currently not a major aspect of the forum. No I don't think it comes down to post count, it's just about intent. You can't really test someone's intent when they join, although it can be fairly obvious based on their early contributions. All I think you can do, through moderation and the general response of the members (as we are doing now), is maintain, debate and convey the values and objectives of the forum so that those that do join with a particular intent will quickly get a sense of the likely response they will get.

Howard

" Wow nearly 100 replies here now "! Many of the comments that keep coming up here are no doubt consistent with the way that " BFW "/ your forum has been operating, but they are not part of the protocol " BFW " have set-up. This your own " Moderator " as highlighted to you all now on two separate occasions !

" Wow nearly 100 replies here now "! Many of the comments that keep coming up here are no doubt consistent with the way that " BFW "/ your forum has been operating, but they are not part of the protocol " BFW " have set-up. This your own " Moderator " as highlighted to you all now on two separate occasions !

Thanks Mark and my response is:

1) It's not my forum, I am simply a member of it.
2) I'm not a moderator but I have an opinion and will share it from time to time.
3) Obviously the forum owner(s) set the rules etc but, and it can be subtle (sometimes not very), a degree of indirect moderation takes place through members responses to posts. For example when a member makes a provocative or offensive statement, folk don't always wait around for a moderator to step in before responding. Over time a collective and majority response helps to set the tone and cultural direction of the forum based on the general and consensus view of those members that contribute. I think this changes over time as the membership changes.
4) Unfortunately, and it can happen a lot, a great deal of digression took place in this thread which is not great I know but at least it helps to keep the thread near the top of the classified list! It's all good publicity isn't it and I hope the sale is proceeding well.
5) All of the above is just my opinion.

Howard

Thanks Mark and my response is:

1) It's not my forum, I am simply a member of it.
2) I'm not a moderator but I have an opinion and will share it from time to time.
3) Obviously the forum owner(s) set the rules etc but, and it can be subtle (sometimes not very), a degree of indirect moderation takes place through members responses to posts. For example when a member makes a provocative or offensive statement, folk don't always wait around for a moderator to step in before responding. Over time a collective and majority response helps to set the tone and cultural direction of the forum based on the general and consensus view of those members that contribute. I think this changes over time as the membership changes.
4) Unfortunately, and it can happen a lot, a great deal of digression took place in this thread which is not great I know but at least it helps to keep the thread near the top of the classified list! It's all good publicity isn't it and I hope the sale is proceeding well.
5) All of the above is just my opinion.

Howard

Thanks Howard, "great debate" think this all clearly defines now what the site should be all about, and needs to be incorporating to satisfy its members!

Once this reaches "100"hits I think we own it! don't we?
How do I find out what it was i'm selling ? please help I'm new here!

Last edited:
Back