• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel framed print - john searl - rare - ltd - edtion -

Mark gets his cash, barbel enthusiast gets a fabulous print to put up on his living room wall to admire for years to come, smiles all round. No ? I generally don't feel the need to get to know someone personally before i buy something from them, unless they have a red light behind them, and then to be honest, i prefer it if they lie to me (loudly). Good luck with the sale Mark and I hope you contribute to the site in the future. If you do, you'll quickly realise a lot of the comments are just banter.

I cant believe this, a new member comes on here and puts a fishing print up for sale, and is not breaking any rules, and a few Members plus a Mod dont like it and give him a hard time. Good luck selling the print Mark. Hope you stay as a member of BFW. But can understand if you dont stay after the hard time you have been given by a few on this site.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Hi Ray, thanks for your comments here. Was finding it difficult to understand many of your members views particularly at the start of this.
I can appreciate what I believe some are trying to say here, but you can't expect me to over come hurdles that you haven't yet put in place.

This is an established site now, but if members are not happy with what can be done on it they need to take it up with the powers that be, and not unfairly direct it at me. If the road says 70mph then that's the speed your allowed to go at , albeit some want to go at 40.

On a much more positive note I have been viewing some of your members contributions on the forums contained here (other species ). It's great to see you have many appreciating the " specimen river Roach " especially Keith Speer, who I did once have a long chat with whilst fly fishing on the Kennett. Great to see him giving reference to the legendary Gerry Swanton. now there's a" real Roachman there."

This is where my real passion lies, and most often will be found trotting the stream for those specimen Roach, with the finest Centrepin that I can find for the job! As for me this is pretty much the only way to go!

Kind regards Marks......

PS; Congratulations to Keith on that Float caught 2lb 11oz " River Roach" fabulous!
Hope not to annoy anyone with the mention of the Roach print now inc-....

Last edited:
Mark gets his cash, barbel enthusiast gets a fabulous print to put up on his living room wall to admire for years to come, smiles all round. No ? I generally don't feel the need to get to know someone personally before i buy something from them, unless they have a red light behind them, and then to be honest, i prefer it if they lie to me (loudly). Good luck with the sale Mark and I hope you contribute to the site in the future. If you do, you'll quickly realise a lot of the comments are just banter.

Thanks Nick, just added a small contribution to Ray after you on here, i gave some reference to Keith speer here......

Hi Ray, thanks for your comments here. Was
PS; Congratulations to Keith on that Float caught 2lb 11oz " River Roach" fabulous!
Hope not to annoy anyone with the mention of the Roach print now inc-....

Well then don't mention it Mark, blimey chap you do like stirring it a bit

Mark, I am looking to build a piece of contemporary art for my driveway and to complete it I could really do with some more bits. Is there any chance, any chance at all, that you might have some of the following: spare alloy wheels (don't mind what kind really but Porsche ones would be good), a Versace top, a fleece and the rear bumper from a VW Polo. Just on the off chance.

Just kidding by the way and I still haven't resolved the issue with my hair.

All the best.

Well then don't mention it Mark, blimey chap you do like stirring it a bit

I remember John Searl on several occasions taking and displaying his Barbel prints for sale to various Barbel Society venues, and many others in chosen tackle shops.

" what was he thinking ! "

Mark, I am looking to build a piece of contemporary art for my driveway and to complete it I could really do with some more bits. Is there any chance, any chance at all, that you might have some of the following: spare alloy wheels (don't mind what kind really but Porsche ones would be good), a Versace top, a fleece and the rear bumper from a VW Polo. Just on the off chance.

Just kidding by the way and I still haven't resolved the issue with my hair.

All the best.

Just goes to show how advertising can really work for you ! Maybe I should list my Barbel print on the Porsche forum to sell my alloy wheels......

This wind isn't really helping anyones hair!

Hope the Kennets been fishing well!

Last edited:
Just goes to show how advertising can really work for you ! Maybe I should list my Barbel print on the Porsche forum to sell my alloy wheels......

This wind isn't really helping anyones hair!

Hope the Kennetts been fishing well!

Yes it has finally gifted some of its treasure. What's your local barbel river btw?

Yes it has finally gifted some of its treasure. What's your local barbel river btw?

Kings weir, on the Lea in Herts, Told is suppose to be getting an injection of new Barbel stock. Not yet sure it has been done yet mind.

The Roach are more my passion, as such tend to go more your way, remember how good Barton Court once was ?
Remember the kennet when it had some depth/weed and actually run clear?

Last edited:
Barton Court? Now that is a mighty fine bit of River but far too well manicured for my liking, always got the feeling I was poaching :confused:

BA had a some mighty fine Roach too, had being the operative word here, managed to fluke a 2.75 lb fish from a small shoal of huge Roach that I saw from a bridge, my fish was I think the smallest of the shoal, and it seemed that there were few that would have topped 3lb.:eek:

Love Roach hate Cormorants.

Kings weir, on the Lea in Herts, Told is suppose to be getting an injection of new Barbel stock. Not yet sure it has been done yet mind.

The Roach are more my passion, as such tend to go more your way, remember how good Barton Court once was ?
Remember when the kennet when it had some depth/weed and actually run clear?

I seem to have missed the Kennet's glory years for both barbel and roach as I didn't fish for around 15 years-career and children always getting in the way. Fished Barton Court once a year or so ago with no major roach encounters. Pretty place and somewhere I will try and spend more time. Fishing: brilliant.

I've also got this print, bought at an ABE day years ago (remember them?).
I believe this is the fish that Chris Yates caught and never got a photo cos' it slipped back in the river accidentally. I'll have to have a look for it, i'm sure it's signed by John and Chris.
Didn't realise it was worth this sort of money :)

Good luck with the sale Mark.

Steve

I've also got this print, bought at an ABE day years ago (remember them?).
I believe this is the fish that Chris Yates caught and never got a photo cos' it slipped back in the river accidentally. I'll have to have a look for it, i'm sure it's signed by John and Chris.
Didn't realise it was worth this sort of money :)

Good luck with the sale Mark.

Steve

The fish in my print Steve was caught by BJ, he did spend a lot of time with Mr yates around the time this was done. IE " Passion for Angling ." The only one John did with Chis was the " Bishop "

BA had a some mighty fine Roach too, had being the operative word here, managed to fluke a 2.75 lb fish from a small shoal of huge Roach that I saw from a bridge, my fish was I think the smallest of the shoal, and it seemed that there were few that would have topped 3lb.:eek:

Love Roach hate Cormorants.

Some nice Roach getting a mention here...
I too really hate to see such an aggressive fish eating machine on our inland waters. But what i hate more! is the fact we now have no fish left for either of us around our coastline , which is where these horrid things would otherwise be.

Aren't we good at f**king things up!

The fish in my print Steve was caught by BJ, he did spend a lot of time with Mr yates around the time this was done. IE " Passion for Angling ." The only one John did with Chis was the " Bishop "

Yes Mark,
but i believe Chris caught the same fish a couple of weeks before Bob caught it. and yes they were fishing together at the time.
Looking at my print, it's not numbered so not as valuable as it seems.....:eek:

It's the big one Tim. A3ish i guess....

Hi Steve, thanks for confirming that there was an open edition of the large barbel print. My memory's not completely shot then?!

I bought the set of 4 fish prints when they were first released, and, like Mark, wrongly assumed that "limited edition" meant that only one lot of prints would ever be released. So I was a little disappointed when a nearly identical open edition of the barbel print was released a year or two later. The barbel print was by far the most popular of the original set of 4. Subsequently another open edition of a smaller version of the barbel print (mentioned previously by Mark) was also released.

Please note that this is in no way a slur on the memory of John Searl, rather it was my misunderstanding of the term "limited edition".

I should also add that the number of prints shouldn't adversely affect the viewer's/owner's appreciation of what is undoubtedly a fine painting of a barbel.

Whether or not it will effect the second-hand value of the prints is another matter...

Last edited:
Back