• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel framed print - john searl - rare - ltd - edtion -

You might need to add a bit more about this print and the quality of the framing.

Limited editions are generally only worth a premium over the original selling price if they are in original condition i.e. exactly as they were the day they were printed.

If selling a framed print the buyer would need to assured that UV filtering glass has been used and that the print has been correctly mounted (reversible method) to an under mount and that the top mount(s) are of conservation quality.

Looking at the brown edges of the bevels of the mount it would suggest that a low quality mount card has been used and this brown is acid coming out of the board which will also now be affecting the paper of the print.

Good luck with your sale but I would suggest taking your other one to a reputable framer for assessment and to protect your investment. You can find good framers here: Fine Art - Welcome to the Fine Art Trade Guild but look for one that has taken the Commended Framer qualification.

Just for clarification the print is in its original 100% perfect condition and all that surrounds it is equally perfect.
It is double mounted and the brown inner edge is the chosen colour of the inner border, no acid or any other staining is present .

The quality of all John Searls prints is i believe to be the absolute best available.
I have many now more than 20yrs old and all are as good as the day they were produced.

Thanks for your comments, but im totally happy with them as they are. If they still look this good after 20 plus years that's pretty proven to me.

PS; is that a Shark your holding in that picture John , appear to have a lot of brown staining coming down you leg!

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the barbel picture already been reproduced in two separate editions of 100 each?

If I remember correctly, the first edition was with the set of four pictures that appear in Red Letter Days, and then subsequently a second edition of just the barbel.

There were some later open edition examples introduced but they were much smaller , around a4 and didn't sell particularly well . Only one lot of ltd edts........

Last edited:
I'm Spartacus!

For all the reasons given above, I and other members do tend to be rather wary of newbies selling gifts. I can understand everyone's sentiments, but it's a shame that it comes across the way it does. However....this is precisely where such a print should be being made available! If we are not barbel lovers in some shape or form, why are we on the site in the first place? Whilst artworks may not be everybody's cup of tea, wouldn't it have been nice to see it bought my one of our members who then eulogised about how they'd been after the very same for years? Better it went to someone who really wanted it rather than A.N.Other who had the cash to splash....just to cover a gap on a wall.

This picture being discussed here is being made available by direct exchange because of its nature, and as such you get to see exactly what you are buying.
No need for too many concerns here......
Thanks very much for you added comments, my thoughts exactly!

WTF, all that **** too sell a picture....................... put it on E-bay mate then you wont have too justify yourself too anyone!:D

And i thought 'classified' meant you could sell stuff.................... guess i was wrong:eek::eek:

In the days when prints were made using plates the plates were destroyed at the end of a limited run. In those days it always paid to get a low number because as the print run went on the quality could deteriorate slightly.

With new digital technology the last print will be exactly the same as the first and so low numbered prints are no different although collectors will still seek them out. This can be dependent on a number of other factors e.g. integrity of the digital file, printer set up etc. Also they can be printed "on demand" so an artist does not have to commission a printer to do the whole run.

In fact many artists now do their own printing with variable results!

If an image is produced as a limited edition print it should only appear in that format. Any subsequent reproduction as smaller size prints, greetings cards, book covers, coasters, coffee mugs etc. only serves to devalue the prints which is very unfair on the buyers of the prints.

I was not referring to the colour of the facing paper of the inner mount but the colouring of the inner pulp on both boards which is showing discolouration (acid leaching).

No that is not a shark but a 40lb tope caught of the in The Wash off Norfolk coast.

WTF, all that **** too sell a picture....................... put it on E-bay mate then you wont have too justify yourself too anyone!:D

And i thought 'classified' meant you could sell stuff.................... guess i was wrong:eek::eek:

Incredilble a Tom, I really was not expecting this . Have appreciated some of my shared views/ perceptions on this that have come up , which I struggled to get at the start.

Really don't think " sell " is going to come into it on here!

What a great place this is. Any of you Barbel society members know of a better way to be going with this ? I know John received high regard from many here...... Needs a valued and appreciated home, and I can't keep giving them away!

Last edited:
Chaps, no one had said Mark cannot come on and sell straight away, I pointed out that some of the original posts might be down to mistrust and that the forum on the whole is not for the purpose of selling stuff, however, as Stevo rightly points out, no rules are being broken, Mark will have paid to join and have his identity confirmed, just like the rest of us. There has been no moderation of the thread or contact with the seller by the mods to raise any issue.

Incredilble a Tom, I really was not expecting this . Have appreciated some of my shared views/ perceptions on this that have come up , which I struggled to get at the start.

Really don't think " sell " is going to come into it on here!

What a great place this is. Any of you Barbel society members know of a better way to be going with this ? I know John received high regard from many here...... Needs a valued and appreciated home, and I can't keep giving them away!

Mark, I must be having a bad week or bad hair day or something so please forgive me. But, and it may only be me, can we please stop this worthy good home sales chat because it's a bit insulting. You are selling the piece on eBay so it is available to whoever, wherever, unless it is some sort of conditional sale in which you carry out some due diligence on the potential buyer to ensure that they will offer it a "valued and appreciated home". It's not a puppy.

And before anyone jumps in to give me grief about this being a classified section etc, I totally get that and Mark, you are being very smart and sensible in reaching out to what should be an eager and interested audience. But, to some, joining the forum one day and then selling stuff the next (which breaks no rules/its a free country blah blah blah) could be a little counter to the spirit of the forum and that's what will jar with folk. In the overall scheme of things it hardly matters so best of luck with the sale.

Now I am off to sort my hair out.

Mark, I must be having a bad week or bad hair day or something so please forgive me. But, and it may only be me, can we please stop this worthy good home sales chat because it's a bit insulting. You are selling the piece on eBay so it is available to whoever, wherever, unless it is some sort of conditional sale in which you carry out some due diligence on the potential buyer to ensure that they will offer it a "valued and appreciated home". It's not a puppy.

And before anyone jumps in to give me grief about this being a classified section etc, I totally get that and Mark, you are being very smart and sensible in reaching out to what should be an eager and interested audience. But, to some, joining the forum one day and then selling stuff the next (which breaks no rules/its a free country blah blah blah) could be a little counter to the spirit of the forum and that's what will jar with folk. In the overall scheme of things it hardly matters so best of luck with the sale.

Now I am off to sort my hair out.

Hi Howard, I'm sorry I still don't really understand this as I'm not trying to sell pizza or hotdogs on here. This is what I view as a fabulous item which I perceived would of got a great reception on here, whether I'm new here or not. This clearly doesn't seem to be the case/ possible.

With regards to the worthiness I'm expressing trust me this is far more irritating / leaving me feeling more disrespected than you or your members. Do you view your member comments as most welcoming / respectful then? I would not of incorporated this term if the comments were suggesting otherwise, sorry you have got to portray a bit more respect at the first instant for me to honour it back. Otherwise I'm thinking you are as the term suggests....

That said I do believe we are starting to appreciate each other a bit more, and I'm sure you hair isn't that bad!

kind regard, Mark....

Last edited:
..................if only you sold Alloy wheels, you would of been welcomed like a God by the Boy Racers of the forum.

A man selling a barbel print puts it on a barbel forum thereby bringing it to the attention of members who presumably like barbel and might be interested in the print and might not have been aware of the print’s availability otherwise. The result is people questioning his motives, quality of the print etc. You couldn’t make it up!

He hadn't "just put it on " a barbel www though had he ?

He just advertised the eBay number

Try doing that on one of the BIG angling forums with your first post

Some other sites deem you need 20-30 posts before you get access to the classifieds , why ? Because there are too many con men floating around the www these days

A rule like that wouldn't go amiss here to be fair

Come to think of it , how does a fully paid up contributing member propose a rule change to the site ?

Mark, which landing net handle would you recommend? ;)

Sorry, but if you think this thread has elicited a modicum of banter, try opening one on the above!

Hi men,

I'm gutted that it's highlighted the search for stuff on eBay :D , as we picked up a fantastic print of a barbel&gudgeon that finished at silly o'clock in the morning for a song :p . Now there will be more chasing fewer stuff , but that's the market place .

Mark , are you offering it cheaper on here than eBay ? :D , as I'm a good home for £10 ( starting bid , but may up it a little ) .

There is a thread running on the main board , and items like this are sometimes flagged up !.

Hatter

He hadn't "just put it on " a barbel www though had he ?

He just advertised the eBay number

Try doing that on one of the BIG angling forums with your first post

Some other sites deem you need 20-30 posts before you get access to the classifieds , why ? Because there are too many con men floating around the www these days

A rule like that wouldn't go amiss here to be fair

Come to think of it , how does a fully paid up contributing member propose a rule change to the site ?

Glad to see your still with me on this Stuart,
Please lets not be like all the rest of those www's .
Let's get this implemented before people start getting the wrong idear about us and our members....

I cant believe this, a new member comes on here and puts a fishing print up for sale, and is not breaking any rules, and a few Members plus a Mod dont like it and give him a hard time. Good luck selling the print Mark. Hope you stay as a member of BFW. But can understand if you dont stay after the hard time you have been given by a few on this site.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Back