• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel boiled baits back when?

Do you think this is important? In fact, having read your excellent article, I think I already know the answer...

I think a degree of digestability is always important in a long term food bait, but i wonder whether the digestibility thing can be taken to extremes, whereby we almost make it a laxitive, drastically reducing the time which the FOOD stays in the fishes gut long enough for it to gain any benefit.
Aiding digestion to my mind is from the point of veiw largely of reducing the time the food in it's solid state takes to become of a consistency in the fishes gut from at which point proper digestion takes place, by that i mean at which point the the gut is breaking down the raw material into it's separate nutrient properties by the use of enzymes, not so much - though it has a value - of useing predigested ingredients which if used excessively produces that laxitive effect i suspect ( something again i don't know but suspect may be true )

i'll use this analogy... I love strawberries ( and i mean love 'em :D ) but if i restricted my diet to soley strawberries, i'd quickly learn that i'd be spending more time on the loo than eating them, and would i guess start to dramatically lose weight, the strawberries though containing some very good nutrition, would not be supplying my body with it's essential requirements, and pretty soon i'd start feeling ill. Remember Chris' comment on the fish being able to recognise whats good for it, which i entirely agree with.
It may be ( and i don't know this ) that with birdfood /seeds such as hemp there is an addictive property present, which though the fish eating large amounts of it start to show deficiencies in weight and general health continue to eat the stuff regardless.

I do think that seeds have a benefit in digestion with fish because of the grittyness of the husks, in much the same way that crustacseans benefit the fishes digestion by providing gritty matter that is used to grind up solid matter in the gut, and in the same way birds do i believe the fish actively eat grit from the river or lake bed, possibly this grittyness adds to the attraction of seed baits ( an old theory ) whether used on their own or in a bait mix.
But i certainly also believe that seeds have an inherant and appealing signal to fish ( cyprinids ) apart from any likeable ' crunchy factor ' which adds to their appeal, and including a birdfood into your mix may well increase it's appeal, but as Simon said will obviously reduce it's nutritional value, in the proportion of a boillie mix that would allow it to work i.e bind and roll properly, i really dont think it would be of such a level as to reduce it's long term effectivness nutritionaly, though if you were using seeds in large amounts as a bed of bait, especially for pre baiting could in the long term work against you - as attractive to the fish as they are. As a means of attracting fish to your bed of bait when fishing - well i don't need to elaborate on that do i :D
However as a strategy for targetting the bigger stamp of fish, seeds definatly are out as far as i'm concerned.
I believe like Simon if there is any value in seeds as a digestibility factor, largley it will be because of it's benefits from being excellent roughage.

As with the Savay bird food bait developed by those fishing there when god was a boy - Mike Wilson no doubt could elaborate on that :D - which was pretty much duplicated by Solar with their Dairy Cream mix -(though i doubt exactly ), incorporating bird seed into the mix became a real winner.

So you're definatley on the right track Darren, as with all experiments you've got to give it a real fair go to draw any useful conclusions, patience is the key
or you'll slide into that bait trap, i'd formulate your mix, and stick to it come hell or high water. One other thing is that to make a food bait work you must keep it going in on a regular basis, if that is just not possible, then going the attraction route, or an established bait like meat is your best bet, as you may well have a blindingly good bait, but just not the time to get the best from it.

Ian.

Great post Ian thanks, think I will need to take time to digest it.. Excuse the pun!!

Your last paragraph sort of touches on what is going on with me right now. Once I have a bait that I know works, I get itchy feet and start tampering..

Great post Ian thanks, think I will need to take time to digest it.. Excuse the pun!!

Your last paragraph sort of touches on what is going on with me right now. Once I have a bait that I know works, I get itchy feet and start tampering..

And i know exactly what you mean, i find the urge sometimes irrestible myself,
and preaching what i don't always practice myself here :D you have to know when to stop and get on with the fishing !! :p

And i know exactly what you mean, i find the urge sometimes irrestible myself,
and preaching what i don't always practice myself here :D you have to know when to stop and get on with the fishing !! :p

Any urges you get that come under the heading 'irrestible' are most definitely to be avoided in public places Ian :D:D

Sorry mate...couldn't resist it :p

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi guys being new on here and not as experienced as you some you guys when it come to catching barbel . I have followed this thread with interest . Having read lots of articles by well known barbel anglers . Some of them are of the opinion that barbel are not very intelligent .
We human beings have the brain and intelligence to think and know what is good or bad for us to eat . Some of you guys seem to be suggesting that barbel know the difference nutritionaly between good or bad food . So are barbel more intelligent than some people are suggesting when it comes to knowing what is good or bad and more likely to pick up a bait that has more nutrition and food wise is better for them

Hi guys being new on here and not as experienced as you some you guys when it come to catching barbel . I have followed this thread with interest . Having read lots of articles by well known barbel anglers . Some of them are of the opinion that barbel are not very intelligent .
We human beings have the brain and intelligence to think and know what is good or bad for us to eat . Some of you guys seem to be suggesting that barbel know the difference nutritionaly between good or bad food . So are barbel more intelligent than some people are suggesting when it comes to knowing what is good or bad and more likely to pick up a bait that has more nutrition and food wise is better for them

It's not intelligence Joe, i suppose you could call it gut instinct !!!! :D

But thats as close to the truth of it as you'll ever get.

Joe, welcome!

You won't get an answer, just opinions, as it is not known for certain.

My opinion is no, the nutrition theory does not imply intelligence. Survival instinct more likely.

How do we know what is good or bad for us? Indeed how does one define good or bad? Perfect / adequate / detrimental / toxic?

Fish work in very different ways to us.

I feel that ultimately food must provide energy and therefore fish must be able to recognise that the reward was worth the effort to some degree at least.

You would need to define intelligence to answer that question. We don't generally think of birds as being intelligent, but swallows can fly to Africa without a sat-nav. Now that is bloody clever!

Nutrition is about more than just producing energy... it promotes growth, health and provides a feeling of well-being. If you ate 2 lb of chocolate for dinner, you would get plenty of energy but you'd also probably feel sick and wish you hadn't eaten it. I think barbel function at a pretty basic level, as do most cold blooded creatures. With them they are ether turned on or turned off... in warm water conditions at least, when they are turned on, simple things like feeding are central to their existence and are a full time occupation. They don't have dinner and then read a book, watch X Factor or go up the pub, they live to eat and eat to survive and to grow, with this being the major occupation of their daily lives, it would be odd if they couldn't recognise what is good for them, as Ian nicely puts it, by gut instinct.

Last edited:
I would just like to say, what a tremendous thread this has turned out to be and thanks to all that have posted in sharing their knowledge and experiences they have gained over the years it makes great reading for a river novice.
Get it all down in a book!!!
Cheers all.
Paul

Only really read the last couple of pages of this thread (will read it all later) and appears quite an interesting thread. What i do know is this that after 25 years of carping my results long term were always better when using a decent quality HNV balanced bait. I know that attractor baits have their place and high flavour flouro baits for example catch plenty of fish but i find they also blow quite quickly as did high carb cheap semo/soya carrier mixes. Now hi protein milk baits have caught me plenty of fish over the years but eventually i found mid protein balanced baits to work best for me from spring onwards usually on a fish meal base with some added milks and carbs. Milks did have a tendancy to work well in the winter though which i find a bit strange as they are harder to digest in cold conditions so i can only assume that they were more attractive in their own right in colder weather. My own boiled baits for winter use now contain a small amount of wheatgerm to aid digestion within a milk/carb base as i have found results to be better compared with my fishmeal based baits i use from spring through to late autumn. Another addition which did seem to to aid winter baits was a vitamin supplement added to the baits which included vitamin B12, now dont ask me why this seemed to help but it did. Now i dont like high bulk oil content in my winter cold water baits but some essential oils were great winter additives and these included Black pepper oil and the cold remedy olbas oil which really did work well. Enzymes within baits can be a bit of a mindblowing subject and one i never really got into as i couldn't see what people were trying to achieve at the time. I mean use enzymes to get the bait to break down faster and thereby release the attractiveness within the bait more quickly. If this is what people were trying to achieve why boil the baits in the first place just use paste or the base mix as a groundbait which caught me loads of fish. In the end i found that thinking about bait made my head hurt so once i found a couple of decent quality baits i was happy with i stuck with them and still do to this day. By using a quality bait i felt that at least i was giving something back to the carp which were under constant pressure and surely stressed out after repeat captures on some venues i was fishing at the time. Still all of this talk about bait does make me smile as the best carp bait i ever used bar none were peanuts which just about went against everything we were trying to achieve with the HNV baits and to be honest i stopped using them as i wasn't happy that they did the fish any good at all after seeing serious weight loss in fish on waters that came to be dominated with them.
The thing is now i'm barbel fishing i haven't found a boilie which outfishes the meat i use most of the time so i'm not really the one to listen to on the boiled baits for barbel as i haven't the experience on the subject.

Jez

Last edited:
Chris, I know nutrition is more than just energy conversion. I'm not saying that's all it boils down to. I'm referring to nutritional recognition as an ability of fish. And my point is the bear minimum to survive is energy, Therefore it is a fairly safe assumption that fish are able to in the least recognise the reward was worth the effort.

Whether fish are able to distinguish a perfect amino profile from a poor one, for instance, is much more debatable.

If a fish hasn't stored or eaten enough food to produce energy, anything it eats will be coverted or stored. It's only when te energy requirement has been met or surpassed that protien is used for tissue repair. ( see protien sparing carbs/fat).

Jez, that's an interesting point about peanuts.

As you know, nuts are very high in oil and thus.... Energy.

Yeah, more to it such as attraction, crunch etc

Look at those squirrels they trained to go on obstacle courses for the black label adverts. They could only be trained to go so far before they twigged that the reward wasn't worth the effort..

One more..

Jez I havent gone down the enzyme route, but I believe the idea is to split complex protien chains into more accessible - and supposedly attractive - 'parts' (excuse poor terminology) such as free aminos, rather than bonded..

Rather than render a boilie into mush intentionally..

Chris, I know nutrition is more than just energy conversion. I'm not saying that's all it boils down to. I'm referring to nutritional recognition as an ability of fish. And my point is the bear minimum to survive is energy, Therefore it is a fairly safe assumption that fish are able to in the least recognise the reward was worth the effort.

Whether fish are able to distinguish a perfect amino profile from a poor one, for instance, is much more debatable.

If a fish hasn't stored or eaten enough food to produce energy, anything it eats will be coverted or stored. It's only when te energy requirement has been met or surpassed that protien is used for tissue repair. ( see protien sparing carbs/fat).

Darren, you're going beyond me there mate. All I know is what I've experienced from my fishing.... that being that some bait mixes I've used have undone the fish, while others have caught but not been anywhere near as effective. I'm not a bait buff, I just don't have the time or inclination.... especially when there's some incredibly knowledgeable bait manufacturers out there producing some 1st class products. Therefore I now use ready-made, frozen, offerings, but the mix I use is of very high quality, has a good HNV value and is different. I've watched how the fish respond to it over time, capitalised on that and caught fish on it that I don't think I would have otherwise caught on the day.

Chris,

I'm no bait buff either.

Just yacking-on, bearing theories borne of sleepless nights, when thinking about fishing was more appealing than thinking about tomorrow's work..

:)

The last few months i have caught 5 big Barbel, i know thats not loads but most of them were caught on different baits..The one thing that did stay the same was the approach and method..Theres no dowt HNV baits do produce big Barbel but i do think that if you can locate the Barbel and gain their confidence they will pretty much eat what ever you have introduced..I always fish with boilies usually just plain old shelf life source boilies..I think for next season im going to make my own boilies probably on the HNV route..After reading Ian Grants article earlier this year it certainly gave me food for thought and reading others comments on this thread..It certainly is very interesting designing and making your own baits and its something im looking forward to doing..:)

Back