• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Announcement

I have been thinking the same as Chris has wrote regarding why stock juvenile Barbel into rivers where stocks have been declining..It seems to me its as bad as reintroducing Otters..I think thats the biggest problem we seem too keen to meddle with nature for short term fixes with no thought about the long term..Perhaps its time to just leave nature to itself and form angling organisations that just concentrate on enjoying fishing and ditch the politics..I support my local angling club simply because i just want to go and relax in nice settings and sometimes get lucky and catch a fish..;)

I have been thinking the same as Chris has wrote regarding why stock juvenile Barbel into rivers where stocks have been declining..It seems to me its as bad as reintroducing Otters..I think thats the biggest problem we seem too keen to meddle with nature for short term fixes with no thought about the long term..Perhaps its time to just leave nature to itself and form angling organisations that just concentrate on enjoying fishing and ditch the politics..I support my local angling club simply because i just want to go and relax in nice settings and sometimes get lucky and catch a fish..;)

Craig,
it might pay to be careful where you go with those thoughts. I was under the distinct impression that an awful lot of the current barbel rivers did not hold barbel at all until the relatively recent intervention of humans.

See what you mean Chris..I suppose what im trying to say is why restock rivers with Barbel when the underlying problems are not known as to why they have declined in the first place..It may just be a natural cycle or may be not..There seems alot of opinions as to what it may be, but no conclusive evidence as to what it actually is..

I agree Craig, its foolhardy to just keep stocking, one has to just hope that the EA know whats sustainable when they grant permission. Sorry to say I doubt it though, if Calverton has some barbel to get rid of it will.

I, for example, have no problem with the barbel going in the Aire, an Easterly flowing recovering river.

I did have a bit of a problem with the recent BS barbel stocking of the upper Stour though.

Most single species groups are made up of multi species anglers anyway I think. Colin may be wrong in thinking that they only care about barbel. No one I know does and if the AoBF's were to do anything to promote barbel at the expence of other species I would be the first to leave as well as being the first to join.

Last edited:
I personally think a lot of the decline is that the population has come to the end of its lifespan. It may also be apparent that when these Barbel have spawned the waterway hasnt been adequate for the fry to establish themselves to adulthood, or predation. That last comment could be a thread all in its own right.
I have no problem whatsoever with restocking, as Chris has said if it wasnt for the Humans (EA,BS and others) stocking rivers over the past decades, there would be many a river with no Barbel at all.
Nigh on all the South Yorkshire rivers would be totally devoid of barbel if it wasnt for the EA's actions. So dont knock the organisations that bring us, the fisherman our sport for decades to come.

Not just nigh on Jon but all of em!

You are right could be thread in it's own right.

On the original topic we look like hitting 100 members on our first week, I think that we need 3 more so it would be nice..................

Last edited:
I'm not sure barbel can be classed as an "alien species" because they have been stocked into a river where they aren't indigenous. I would have thought this term more appropriate to foreign imports. I strongly feel any fish indigenous to the UK should not be classed as alien if it thrives in a UK river.

I've just waded through this thread, seems to me there are a lot of very suspicious people out there, is this suspicion the true legacy of “The Barbel Society�

I must admit I never joined, in fact the only fishing “organisation†(other than fishing clubs and this forum) I have ever joined is The W.B.C.

The reason I have kept away is the fact that these “organisations†seem to bring out the worst in people and as I can have an argument in an empty room it always seemed a good idea to keep away!

I did toy with joining The Barbel Society for a while but I was put off by a BS member who gave me a bankside lecture on how I should and should not fish for Barbel, I was told that I was obviously not a “proper†Barbel angler because I did not have “the right†tackle!
Apparently as I choose not to fish with 2.5lb test curve rod, at night, with a Donkey Choker pellet, I could not possibly be a serious Barbel angler!!
I must admit I chose to ignore this BS member; he obviously did not like me fishing for “his†Barbel with my float gear, his problem not mine, yet the self same thing happened to me again this season at Fishers Green, again I was told that I should not fish for Barbel with my light float tackle, I wouldn’t mind but as I was fishing for the Chub at the time this second “lecture†was a little wasted on me, however as a parting shot I was told to read the notice about Barbel care posted on the gate!!!!!!

What is it that makes these BS members so right and me so wrong?
And why do they take it upon themselves to be so dogmatic, surely I can choose to fish for Barbel in any way I damn well like!

So as I am not a “proper Barbel angler†I decided not to join the BS.

At The W.B.C we exchange information:- swims, baits, methods and ideas, freely and honestly, I don’t judge how other members fish and they don’t judge me, we have developed a strong bond of friendship through trust and respect, surely this is what angling is all about!

I wish The Association of Barbel Fishers the very best of luck and I hope they grow to become all that they wish for themselves, but I would urge them to avoid becoming as dogmatic as some of the Barbel Society members I have come across.

Tight Lines Chaps.
If either of these 2 barbel police had looked at Keith's gallery they would have felt a little foolish..

Hi Chaps

I have re-read my posts on this thread and although I stand by every word I can see that it might come across as a bit anti BS.
I am not an anti; I am sure there are a lot of good chaps in the society that do a great deal of good work and more power to their elbow, every organisation has a few “forthright” individuals and I do concede the point that I may have just been un-lucky!

I have two very silly hobbies, I am a VERY keen angler and my aim is to catch big fish of all species, I also help to run a very successful angling club!
My club duties see me attending at least one meeting a week, sometimes more, I help to organise and run a variety of events and I represent my club (and by default our members too) on a number of regional angling organisations.
I do this because I enjoy the work and also because I want to give back and /or encourage other anglers to get as much out of our sport as I have over the last 40 odd years.
For me it is not about promoting a single species or method, it about the encouragement of those less fortunate than I to get the very best from the nature and wildlife that surrounds us, therefore I work hard to improve our water quality, habitat, and environment, not just for all species of fish in our lakes and rivers but for all the creatures that currently exist in our very much threatened environment, if that means tackling:- The EA, Companies that Pollute, Treatment works that don’t work, individuals or organisations that threaten the sport that I love, which has given me so much, then I am more than happy to do so!

What I do, I do locally, from getting down and dirty in my dry suit to banging the table when needs must, not just for a single species but for our quarry in general.

I can see there is a place for these differing organisations but surely in the long run we should all pull together, not as single species interest groups but as ANGLERS.

Several million of us all singing from the same hymn sheet would and should be a powerful lobby!!

Tight Lines Chaps.

Last edited:
Not just nigh on Jon but all of em!

You are right could be thread in it's own right.

On the original topic we look like hitting 100 members on our first week, I think that we need 3 more so it would be nice..................

That's great news for the new Association Conrad, i am certain there will be more to follow and all the best.

Quote from Keith Speer, "Several million of us all singing from the same hymn sheet would and should be a powerful lobby!!"

If only....

Last edited:
Conrad

Who are the main players in the new group then or are they yet to be appointed?

Trevor

Trevor the main players are the members and that is quite literally that.

We have set up an interim 'committee' until we have elections 1 year from the launch date unless the members deem that it should be sooner. I think that it may well be sooner as we never envisaged such good subscription so soon.

It's is very cheap to join so come and have a look, get on the forum and ask any questions you wish.

The constitution is available for public viewing here:

The Association of Barbel Fishers Constitution

The aspirations and aims are on the home page.

I'd rather not debate our politics or policies on someone else's forum so I ask those who'd like to know more to get on the ABF forum and ask there. This is BFW and I'm not happy about over promoting on here. It was most gracious of Andy to allow us to make the initial announcement.

Regards

Conrad

I can see there is a place for these differing organisations but surely in the long run we should all pull together, not as single species interest groups but as ANGLERS.

Several million of us all singing from the same hymn sheet would and should be a powerful lobby!!

Tight Lines Chaps.

Hear, Hear!

The question is how do we best do that?

Conrad

I hear there is a prize for the 100th member, you get to carry Conrads tackle at the next BFW fish-in.

Thats buggered it then, 99 forever.

Well done Conrad, when more info is available regarding who's in charge etc i will definately consider joining..I hope its a great success..

I do feel Conrad that perhaps fresh blood with fresh ideas would be the way forward regarding who ends up managing and running this new group..
Regards
Craig

Conrad

I'm sure others including myself would prefer to know who is running the shop before parting with any cash.

Not trying to be awkward or anything, would just like to know a little more before making a decision.

Cheers

Trevor

Trev, Its a quid mate, dont be so tight and have a look.

If you like what you see you can always contribute further, If you dont I will give you your quid back.

Back