• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Announcement

Dear Guys,

Having been away from internet forums for quite some time, after reading this thread its apparent there are several single species groups relative to barbel and barbel fishing now? Whilst I hold no particular opinion on any of these groups individually or collectively, I never the less can't help wondering why the need for so many? Or is it simply as with most things in life that "variety is the spice of life"?

No matter where ones loyalty lies in their chosen barbel fishing camps I wish you all one thing as told to me once by John Costello; "May your line sing in the wind whilst the fish in your dreams surges away".

Regards,

Lee.

Sorry Andy, I'm responding to comments on this Thread, no more than that!
No Spam involved if you see my links they relate to questions/queries about the BS

If I was to respond personally to the posts you know what will happen.... the matters will be trivialised by the usual suspects.

Last edited:
If I was to respond personally to the posts you know what will happen.... the matters will be trivialised[/QUOTE]

And we all know who by???:D:D:D...you must stop this behaviour Fred...:eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D..or you will be told off yet again..:D:D:D:D:D..

Yoh! Top marks.:) Good luck with the new group, i am sure it will succeed much quicker than you think.

Ray thanks for the good wishes, we have over 100 members in our first week which is definitely beyond my expectations.

Now the hard work starts as we build up membership benefits, events and various affiliations. Ideal in this weather but not so sure I'll be quite so keen when the barbel are feeding :D

Conrad

Trev, Its a quid mate, dont be so tight and have a look.

If you like what you see you can always contribute further, If you dont I will give you your quid back.

Still like to know what i'm buying Tony, no-one likes a pig in a poke now do they?! :eek:

Have been told before that i've got deep pockets and short arms!!!

Go on Trev, live on the edge, throw caution to the wind,....... risk a whole quid.

Walks round the room shaking head. ;)

Surely you dont have to give credit card details for a quid .

Or is the idea to pay more,and I have done no more than look at the log in process which seemed to want all my details ,so I departed.

Paying a few quid is not an issue ,and don't object to that,but am interested in seeing more stuff before I applied.

It does look on paper to be yet another BS alternative ,run by ex officials trying to create Barbel utopia ,which of course will never happen.

The whole title of Association of Barbel Fishers ,does sound overly grand and a bit over bearing,and frankly a bit much to me,and off putting in itself.

A new Barbel Police Force beckons.

Or should I polish up my rose tinted specs.

By the way chaps,good luck with it,but would rather it was the Facebook Barbel Club,and more casual ,meeting up as of when the mood or whim took you.

Last edited:
I was going to put another link for you Chris, but thought, you already know ;)

Last edited:
Ey Up Big Chin

How goes it mucker? Good to see you poke your nose into the barbel world occasionally, your entertaining and objective posts have been missed by some........ well, me :D

I hear what you say about the new group and how you suggest that it should be run and, in many ways, I totally agree. However, there are an awful lot of folk out there that want to be part of an honest, well run group and up to now there hasn't been one that they were happy to join or rejoin.

Attempting to recreate the 'good old days' is always fraught with danger but the will amongst many is strong and they have convinced old cynics like me that it is possible or at least, worth a go. So let's give 'em a chance :)

As for a 'Facebook Group'! Do me a favour, I want nothing to do with facebook and the tons of spam that it seems to generate. Anyway, at the moment the group seems to be fairly informal and will become what the membership wants it to become. There is a large element of informality that will be retained I am sure and impromptu get togethers arranged. They are even hosting an exchange system where you can have an angler from another river as a guest and then do a reciprocal to their water. That will appeal to many.

As for the credit check. I know that you still like to barter for most things and beg steal or borrow the rest :D But it is the only system that allows you to check on who is joining by validating their membership. This is the way that BFW have gone and it seems to have kept the riff raff quiet - on the whole :rolleyes:

Come on and give it a go mate, the old BSG do's were great and I know you'd enjoy some more of that.

Abf

Thanks for providing the link to the constitution Conrad. I for one was very suspicious about the motives of the new group but am reassured now;).

Think I'll part with my £1 and have a look.

Dave

Sorry Colin, missed you post, you know you will always get an answer from me,asked or not, so ask away.

But not on here!

Last edited:
Ey Up Big Chin

How goes it mucker? Good to see you poke your nose into the barbel world occasionally, your entertaining and objective posts have been missed by some........ well, me :D

I hear what you say about the new group and how you suggest that it should be run and, in many ways, I totally agree. However, there are an awful lot of folk out there that want to be part of an honest, well run group and up to now there hasn't been one that they were happy to join or rejoin.

Attempting to recreate the 'good old days' is always fraught with danger but the will amongst many is strong and they have convinced old cynics like me that it is possible or at least, worth a go. So let's give 'em a chance :)

As for a 'Facebook Group'! Do me a favour, I want nothing to do with facebook and the tons of spam that it seems to generate. Anyway, at the moment the group seems to be fairly informal and will become what the membership wants it to become. There is a large element of informality that will be retained I am sure and impromptu get togethers arranged. They are even hosting an exchange system where you can have an angler from another river as a guest and then do a reciprocal to their water. That will appeal to many.

As for the credit check. I know that you still like to barter for most things and beg steal or borrow the rest :D But it is the only system that allows you to check on who is joining by validating their membership. This is the way that BFW have gone and it seems to have kept the riff raff quiet - on the whole :rolleyes:

Come on and give it a go mate, the old BSG do's were great and I know you'd enjoy some more of that.

Dave....I have no desire to hijack this thread but you must be very careful with your choice of words.Before you come back with a "if the cap fits" comment I must say that I and hundreds of other BS members will find the insinuations you have made offensive.
Regards,
Rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ey Up Big Chin

However, there are an awful lot of folk out there that want to be part of an honest, well run group and up to now there hasn't been one that they were happy to join or rejoin.

Say what you will Rich but the above is a fact, numbers dont lie.

Tony....... Put up or shut up!!
My final word...I don't want to upset Andy as it is his board.

Surely you dont have to give credit card details for a quid .

The ABF don't have access to anyone's credit card details they are kept securely by paypal, we have no idea what anyone's credit card details are.

I'm surprised that you don't have a pay pal account Chris, have you never bought anything off eBay?

The whole point of the donation is to verify that you are who you say you are, nothing more. Of course we have running costs but they were covered before the launch by the original membership. Some people have donated a pound some much more than that, it is up to the individual.

We are a not for profit organisation, any surplus funds over the year will be donated to charities or spent on other projects that the membership determines is worthwhile.

Any sign of barbel police infiltration will be dealt with in a suitable manner!

Utopia?

Unlikely but it's worth a try.

Conrad

PS You do not have to use pay pal there are alternatives that do not require a credit card, debit card or similar. This takes longer but we can accommodate it.

Last edited:
Been away a while:( but I'm glad to see things seem to be going well..& very few negative comments which is good & suprising;)

Back