• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A HUGE and REAL Problem

I've not seen anything (could of missed it) about desalination plants. Apparently there is one in Beckton London which can serve around a million people. Maybe this is the way to go? or as mentioned sort the leaks in the first place.

Brian

I've not seen anything (could of missed it) about desalination plants. Apparently there is one in Beckton London which can serve around a million people. Maybe this is the way to go? or as mentioned sort the leaks in the first place.

Brian
it's the way to go if the political will is there, but clearly not.
plenty of water in the sea...:D

The swines have pinched my idea! (see page 2 of this thread)

Transferring water from the North has been mooted for ages. No doubt chosing the route for a pipeline (or several) has probably been difficult, but I have a solution....run it alongside/underneath the planned high-speed rail links (London to Birmingham and Leeds). At least your more than half way to the Welsh mountains and northern Pennines respectively!

Drawn up plans! I bet it goes along the same route as the railway doh!!! Someone will be in line for a huge bonus for that stunningly simplistic but effective idea. I'm in the wrong job:mad:

Last edited:
The swines have pinched my idea! (see page 2 of this thread)

Drawn up plans! I bet it goes along the same route as the railway doh!!! Someone will be in line for a huge bonus for that stunningly simplistic but effective idea. I'm in the wrong job:mad:

Anthony when you think about it. Its a obvious solution to the problem .

River levels

This is wonderful news for all the poor fisher folk in the Norf :) WE ARE GONNA BE RICH LADS! The overflowing banks of the Yorkshire Ouse shall see us all with custom rods in the near future (I have my order ready).
With the small number of barbel in the Yorkshire Derwent, you can have a bit out of there as well ;):D!

The spate rivers up here have been chucking it through of recent but, come the summer months, a return to last years low levels I fear!

This is wonderful news for all the poor fisher folk in the Norf :) WE ARE GONNA BE RICH LADS! The overflowing banks of the Yorkshire Ouse shall see us all with custom rods in the near future (I have my order ready).
With the small number of barbel in the Yorkshire Derwent, you can have a bit out of there as well ;):D!

The spate rivers up here have been chucking it through of recent but, come the summer months, a return to last years low levels I fear!

An added bonus is that you will be paying for it with increased water bills. Thank goodness that it won't come out of shareholders' dividends.

It really does seem we're headed for a very nasty period of drought. Part of the solution might be a genius desalination gizmo, or more reservoirs ... i.e. finding ways to use more resources. But as big a part (and I think Paul Boote's early remarks in this thread were on exactly this point) must just involve using less, wanting less, expecting less all round. Water, of all the things we have in our daily lives, is perhaps the most taken for granted thing of all.

In other parts of this thread there is some admirable stick-it-to-the-man type sentiment. Let's tell those who own the corporations and the governments what we really think etc. The problem is, there is no consistent line as to what 'we' think.

Some of us would be arguing, effectively, for a return to rationing of resources. (Live as though there was a war on, instead of treating the world as if it were a bottomless pit of goodies to be exploited). Some would be arguing for caps on immigration. (We'd have plenty to go round, as long as nobody else was allowed in). Others still might argue for the profiteers to take a hit in their pockets, rather than using the old capitalist adage of 'having to pass the cost onto the consumer', because what sort of system is capitalism if you remove the profit motive? (a better one, in my view, but I just get called a communist when I say that)

I suppose the point I am not making very clearly at all, is that I agree with Paul that the problem is huge and real. But I do not think the population of this country is in even close to being able to collaborate to fix the problem. We have such diverse interests and are so deeply motivated by our own needs, I find myself losing a good deal of optimism.

We all know something needs to be done. But when I talk to people about these sorts of issue, it always seems to come back to a deep rooted 'I-want-my-cake-and-eat-it' philosophy. Let someone else have to take the hit. I don't want my life affected etc.

Sadly, I have no answers to offer. But I do hope people really do continue to question our current money and profit focused systems of organising society. They do work, partly. But from all i can see, for a limited time only. Then you get into deep trouble. You can't grow an economy forever. There are no limitless resources. We may have more people than ever before, but they also want more than ever before. And not only are we consuming more than ever before, we want all these things instantly. Nothing can be deferred. And that is what is making this problem huge and real. For the smartest animals on the planet, we do act very very dumb at times.

I think I've finally turned into my father at the age of 42. But now I see he really did have a point when he said these things back in the 1980s, foreseeing a lot of the wreckage that would follow the Thatcher "revolution".

I'm off to turn all my lights off and put a brick in the cistern....

Last edited:
Now I know why the BBC moved to Manchester: plenty of rain and they can have the sprinkler on in the Blue Peter Garden any time they wish!:)

Hi men ,

Just one for Mr Hall ,

b8584708.jpg

The famous bird hide swim on Startops on the right , 100 yds from the water . The little stream is normally under 6 ft of water , with the trees on the right having carp feeding under them .

Hatter

Last edited:
i don't understand why we flush our bogs with drinking water!, sounds crazy, in school, you couldn't drink the water from the wash taps because it's wasn't purified and thus cheaper.

31billion. Total capacity in litres of Bewl reservoir which Southern Water is seeking a drought order to fill.
35 billion. Number of litres of water lost last year by Southern Water through leaks.
Thanks to Private Eye.

Hmm. A Desalination For Our Golden Wonders (Irresistible Baits Section) splinter group of Loons Against Predators, perhaps...?

Back