• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A HUGE and REAL Problem

Lighten up. Yeah. You were trying unnecessary smart-ass stuff on me, Nathan; people who do that are not only very silly but also toast. We were having a very nice, non-abusive thread here, but..................

Oh you petulant little child you. Paul I gave up this type of childish pettifoggery in the playground, what a shame you never moved on old boy.

So I drew a matter of enormous importance to Anglers' attention a little ahead of the media blitz - look at the subject of the thread - and what do we get? Another outbreak of acrimony and petty pointscoring. I don't hold out too much hope for Angling's future on mornings like these, when I swing by here, read the silliness above and realise that some of our number only just want to "do" a big un, scaled or human, or at least to be seen doing so. Carry on carping, chaps.

Why does everyone seem so keen to destroy the Severn? We have companies who still want to put a barrage in and every time the southern bit of our country gets a bit dry this old chestnut come up. The Severn and it's tributaries already suffer flow problems and has to be controlled by compensation releases. It is over extracted along the whole of its length to provide agricultural water and supplement the Birmingham pipeline.

I would suggest that we stop building houses in the southern parts of the country and relocate business etc. to the northern part where there is plenty of water and plenty of unemployed people due to the greed culture of the last thirty years. We could also change agricultural practise so they use less water, growing crops for food rather than to feed more animals to provide cheap meat or ever more potatoes so that MacDonald's can keep its chip prices down.

Climate change is with us whether you choose to "believe" it or not and the water situation is only going to get worse. Short term profit has been the goal of the majority in this country and water privatisation was based entirely on putting free money into loads of peoples pockets so they would keep voting for Thatcher. Long term planning for the future water needs of the country was thrown out. We now have a system planned very sensibly by our Victorian forefather to serve them for the next 50 years back in the mid 19th C. Perhaps we should think about investing the nations wealth in its future rather than in the finance industry?

There would be no harm in taking flood water away from the river using a system of pipes that only take water when it is really high,(It would not even have to be pumped, it would flow probably) I bet its nice and cosy in Solihull when the Severn has a major flood but ask the people of Shrewsbury, Bewdley and Upton if they wouldn't mind a few thousand gallons being shipped away before it reaches their television sets and I think you'd get a different response. Ever been flooded? I have several times, not nice. I'm not talking about general abstraction, but that extra 14 feet cruising along for a fortnight ending up in the Bristol channel benefits no one.

So I drew a matter of enormous importance to Anglers' attention a little ahead of the media blitz - look at the subject of the thread - and what do we get? Another outbreak of acrimony and petty pointscoring. I don't hold out too much hope for Angling's future on mornings like these, when I swing by here, read the silliness above and realise that some of our number only just want to "do" a big un, scaled or human, or at least to be seen doing so. Carry on carping, chaps.

;)

Hugo

Oh you petulant little child you. Paul I gave up this type of childish pettifoggery in the playground, what a shame you never moved on old boy.

Obviously you didnt.

Its the 'Paul Boote knockers' who ruin threads; by not discussing subject matter and trying to get into a slanging match with him.

I reckon that if it wasn't for Paul Bootes comments on here the readership , as it were , would drop dramatically . I think there is a direct corellation between cold conditions/ nobody catching barbel and an increase in folks picking fights with him . I reckon Ash is spot on , read the threads , it's OK to disagree with someone personally but there are ways and means ...

Last edited:
Well said Mike.

Lads, can we just agree to disagree on things, but leave the 'point scoring' out of it.

Back on track...... I'd like to see a few more reservoirs built, that way all the surplus water from the flooded Severn could be stored, and I'd have somewhere else to fish....

Steve

The is a real need for some sense here, before this barmy idea that the problems deliberately created with the continued lowering of the water table in the Southern part of the country could some how be solved by abstraction from the Severn and other northern and Western rivers.

If abstraction took place only on the occasions that the Severn floods as has been suggested the amount of water would be of little consequence and the cost of constructing a pipe line immense. Any abstraction to deal with the problems of the South East would have to take water when ever the Severn is at usual winter flow levels. This would further reduce the present flow levels requiring further use of compensation water and a reduction in the flow levels of the entire Severn system. The consequences for spawning fish and other wild life would be immense. The Severn system is on the brink. Removing further water would cause it to crash.

Building even more large scale reservoirs in or around the Severn would require further huge costs compensating landowners, householders and farmers as well as creating further environmental problems. Not sure if there is actually any room left around the Severn for any further reservoirs..it's not like the area is undeveloped!

As far as flood defences go, immense amounts of public money has been spent on flood defence work along the Severn and its tributaries. Much of this has been very harmful to wildlife.

Those who choose to continue to build further housing on areas well known to be at flood risk should at least accept some consequences rather than expecting the rest of us to bail them out (pun intended). I can't afford unfortunately to live in Bewdley or any of the other rather nice places down by the Severn. If I could I would and I would be prepared to pay the price for that without expecting every one else to do so.

Well said Mike.

Lads, can we just agree to disagree on things, but leave the 'point scoring' out of it.

Back on track...... I'd like to see a few more reservoirs built, that way all the surplus water from the flooded Severn could be stored, and I'd have somewhere else to fish....

Steve
and maybe, it could be paid for by the money earmarked for HS2, super water highway instead, but that might upset the Chinese.:confused:

Pete, I haven't advocated the River Severn as the answer to the south's problems. Let me re cap on what I said, That WHEN the river is 14 feet up it is doing no one any favours going out to the Bristol channel, butthat amount of wasted water if it could be somehow retained/trasferred could help the problem , I didn't suggest that the Severn would solve the problem. So your second paragraph above about spawning fish reducing water levels etc doesn't come into the equation.When the large flood stops, the help stops. It is the top skimmed terrific amounts of flood water to which I refer. Yes of course it would be expensive,anything at all that solves the problem (if there is to be a long term problem) will be expensive but we may not need terrific pipe lines as we have canal systems too. Our village has a stream that you can walk through without getting your socks wet, when it floods part of our village have been under 8 feet of water for days on end.The Fire brigade hasn't coped ,houses and part houses wrecked people homeless for months. So a farmer sacrifices two of his fields and digs a bloody great hole, when the stream floods the water pours into this hole and doesn't go into the houses. He has enough water for his spuds for the rest of the year...as the Meercat says "Simples". It has saved 8 years of grief. The like of what I suggest could be replicated on a grander scale. I agree there is less and less land for such projects but where there is a will and compensation there is a way. We're probably getting a high speed train that experts say is too fast and will cost billions, parallel to one that works Ok as it is, but whether we like it or not we are having it and that will upset a load more people than a couple of reservoirs. The South can pay for them anyway.

I reckon that if it wasn't for Paul Bootes comments on here the readership , as it were , would drop dramatically . I think there is a direct corellation between cold conditions/ nobody catching barbel and an increase in folks picking fights with him . I reckon Ash is spot on , read the threads , it's OK to disagree with someone personally but there are ways and means ...

Well put Mike, no need to be insulting or patronising.

The Pinn calls.....

AS ever

Hugo

Pete, I haven't advocated the River Severn as the answer to the south's problems. Let me re cap on what I said, That WHEN the river is 14 feet up it is doing no one any favours going out to the Bristol channel, butthat amount of wasted water if it could be somehow retained/trasferred could help the problem , I didn't suggest that the Severn would solve the problem. So your second paragraph above about spawning fish reducing water levels etc doesn't come into the equation.When the large flood stops, the help stops. It is the top skimmed terrific amounts of flood water to which I refer. Yes of course it would be expensive,anything at all that solves the problem (if there is to be a long term problem) will be expensive but we may not need terrific pipe lines as we have canal systems too. Our village has a stream that you can walk through without getting your socks wet, when it floods part of our village have been under 8 feet of water for days on end.The Fire brigade hasn't coped ,houses and part houses wrecked people homeless for months. So a farmer sacrifices two of his fields and digs a bloody great hole, when the stream floods the water pours into this hole and doesn't go into the houses. He has enough water for his spuds for the rest of the year...as the Meercat says "Simples". It has saved 8 years of grief. The like of what I suggest could be replicated on a grander scale. I agree there is less and less land for such projects but where there is a will and compensation there is a way. We're probably getting a high speed train that experts say is too fast and will cost billions, parallel to one that works Ok as it is, but whether we like it or not we are having it and that will upset a load more people than a couple of reservoirs. The South can pay for them anyway.

Agreed, the South should pay!

Hugo

Below is a picture of a man sat on a bench next to the Thames in 2007 - no doubt contemplating the need to borrow water from the Severn system in the near future:
andrew-boyne-albums-other-stuff-picture3392-floodap-468x312%5B1%5D.jpg

Is it just me or have things gone a bit wrong somewhere? Millions has been spent manipulating the river systems of the south east to shed excess water so the residents don't get wet carpets and now we have some wanting to spend millions more to take water from other parts of the country because it's not rained for a bit. Barmy.

Perhaps those in the south east should start thinking about how to capture and keep their own excess water when it floods again, because it will. Spend a few million fixing all the leaks while you're at it - no water company that wastes their own supply should be allowed to tap into another.

Below is a picture of a man sat on a bench next to the Thames in 2007 - no doubt contemplating the need to borrow water from the Severn system in the near future:

Is it just me or have things gone a bit wrong somewhere? Millions has been spent manipulating the river systems of the south east to shed excess water so the residents don't get wet carpets and now we have some wanting to spend millions more to take water from other parts of the country because it's not rained for a bit. Barmy.

Perhaps those in the south east should start thinking about how to capture and keep their own excess water when it floods again, because it will. Spend a few million fixing all the leaks while you're at it - no water company that wastes their own supply should be allowed to tap into another.

Agreed. And do not build any more houses.

And as for anyone with a nice clean car, especially those hideous black 4x4s

KILL THEM!!!

Hugo

Last edited:

Apparently, Thames Water are now doing just that, spending millions on fixing leaks. Perhaps the country's infrastructure can't cope, but hey ho, lets bring in another few million to "enrich" the country.

Back