• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A HUGE and REAL Problem

Paul Boote

No Longer a Member
I fished for smallish wild brown trout at this very spot in Wiltshire, west of Marlborough, thirty years ago -

Drought-alert-007.jpg

Drought declared in south-east England | Environment | The Guardian

We have a dire situation on our hands, especially in the south and east of the country, many years of over abstraction and nett usage of our water supplies have led us down a very dark road and unless we get a deluge of rain over a sustained period i fear we are in big trouble!!:(

i think it's far worse than 76, many more homes and people, more usage and less rain fall,
dire!

What a sad photo Paul. Seen the news yesterday and it was all pretty depressing Anglican Water applying for a drought order etc. Strangely enough a house mate of mine during my student days over twenty years ago was more or less predicting this would happen, but i think she was giving it about 50 years. Very worrying.

Stephen

Sh*t, we are all gonna die.......

Just see something done when prime stretches of rivers like the Test and Itchen dry up and rendered fishless / unfishable and no longer income-generating . Mega money, mega-connected owners, quiet words in the right clubs in the right ears... As for the rest, well, "It's the fickle British climate ...quite beyond our control ... try bathing with a friend ... but do please keep shopping, you've got to keep shopping...". As I sorta hinted with the title of this thread, there are far bigger problems (and predators) than otters and seals with the likes of us around.

Last edited:
Now here is a problem worth shouting about. Not much point bleating on about predators or lack of fish in our rivers if there isn't going to be a river for them to live in.

Transferring water from the North has been mooted for ages. No doubt chosing the route for a pipeline (or several) has probably been difficult, but I have a solution....run it alongside/underneath the planned high-speed rail links (London to Birmingham and Leeds). At least your more than half way to the Welsh mountains and northern Pennines respectively!

If it's looking bad, blame it on summat else, whether it's mammalian furry or humanoid smooth-skinned....

Chaps, immigrants or no, WE indigenous Brits are VERY different people from the Brits of 1976 - with far greater expectations and demands, and are much greedier, much less tolerant types.

So, before we start scapegoating...

Back