• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

-9 faranheight Barbel

Both buy their waders from the aisle marked 'for the taller and/or larger gentlemen', and this is often reflected in their photographs. As a lithe 15-stoner myself, I share their pain...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, chaps, I've not had a 'twenty' for over two months now, but the urge has returned.

Next time any of you heavyweights catch a lump give us shout and for a small fee I'll come and hold for you, then photoshop your own mug on my body I'm 5' 9" and 10 stone so most fish look huge.:D:D

Two months since your last 'twenty' :eek: It's been 12 years since my one and only 'twenty':(:(

Fantastic looking specimens by the way, the fish that is.

BApike2006.jpg

The above pike was caught from the Upper Bristol Avon back in February 2006. I had some Rapala digi scales on me, which failed on the spot, and it bottomed out my back-ups (22lb Super Samsons). Given that i am 6'3" and was about 17 stone at the time (a little above my usual fighting weight), anyone want to hazard a guess? It makes a change from questioning those who do know what their fish weighed!

cheers

Jon

BApike2006.jpg

The above pike was caught from the Upper Bristol Avon back in February 2006. I had some Rapala digi scales on me, which failed on the spot, and it bottomed out my back-ups (22lb Super Samsons). Given that i am 6'3" and was about 17 stone at the time (a little above my usual fighting weight), anyone want to hazard a guess? It makes a change from questioning those who do know what their fish weighed!

Huge I'd guess around 32lb.

23lb 9oz 5dr and not a dram either way... And if I'm wong, your scales are buggered!:)

Oh yeah, nice catfish Jon.:confused:

Ok Jon, I guessed its weight correctly, won the days fishing with myself, so the question left must be what species is it??:)

Hi Colin, I reckon you're about right on the weight - 23ish. I had a 26 from the same stretch in the following season, definitely a different fish and it just 'felt' bigger.

Still lost on the species stuff though!

cheers

Jon

Hi Colin, I reckon you're about right on the weight - 23ish. I had a 26 from the same stretch in the following season, definitely a different fish and it just 'felt' bigger.

cheers

Jon

Was that after you lost some weight and went to the gym felt bigger

cheers

Jon

Jon, it was a (very) feeble attempt at humour.
Seems I'll be fishing alone then (again), at least I get to choose where I go though.:cool::)

Regards fish weights, once you've seen (had) a few in a weight band, you should be able to get a good 'feel' for their weight but IMO keeping your eye in is essential with sporadic weighing of fish of no particular given weight. I know that for me guessing chub weights is almost intuitive, seldom more than 1 - 2oz off the correct weight, even when presented with a fish outside of the (my) norm such as a long lean river Severn one.

But even with knowing the size of an angler its nigh on impossible to accurately guess a fishes weight from a photograph, certainly there are obvious cases when a fish weight has been mistated (for whatever reason) but I tend to err on the side of caution, or at least keep my thoughts to my self.

Last edited:
We should also consider buying scales that are up to weighing the fish we catch and if they are not weighed be rather reluctant to call them 21lb+ etc. People do mess with weights you know. A 20+lber that I caught with a leading pike angler miraculously added a pound to it's weight when shown in the pac magazine. If you read my post CAREFULLY you will see that I did not dispute the weight of the fish only that it looked very skinny for it's weight. I then added in a later post that it had a great potential to reach a 30lber if it weighed as much as that as a 'skinny' fish. Seems I touched a nerve though - but hey it's new year and I have a new area to fish for pike on the wharfe in the new year, once I can see the back of this temp. christmas driving job.
Hope it'll be an annus barbus,lucius or whateverfloatsyourboatius in the new year for you all.
geoff

Last edited:
Geoff. Most people from Yorkshire are good honest people.

Didn't you get banned from the Yorkshire fishing site for the same reason - disputing weights every time?

Last edited:
How dare you! You know nothing about me and don't get you knickers in a twist-is that a crude northern expression? sorry! By the way I think I know more about yorkshire people than you do although I haven't seen all the hovis/tetley tea adverts.I haven't a clue what you are are talking about re racism and police stations - but I suggest it may be taken as evidence that you have fallen off your trolley. I did try appeasement, but you didn't have the graciousness to accept it. Is that a berkshire thing?

Last edited:
Back