• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

-9 faranheight Barbel

Chris Ponsford

Just thought I would mention there were three Barbel caught in the Wye Team Champs a couple of weekends ago,when it was too cold to float fish,as line was freezing and jamming rings.

Maggot feeder produced most of the weights,or straight lead,air temps started at -9 ,first thing,before rising to the dizzy heights of -4.

Water was iced in many places ,before nearly icing the river over a couple of days later.

Last weekend,despite ice flows and extensive icing in side,the chub fed ravenously on float tactics.

Yesterday I had a belting pike,so get out there,all is not lost.

Pons

Ok then, I'll say it!

Don't you mean celsius!? -9 fahrenheit is -23 celsius!

Good advice all the same, how big was your pike?

Much easier to catch in -9 Fahrenheit though, just chainsaw the water into cubes.............;)

I heard about the barbel as well, I posted the account of a match angler winning his section with and ice entombed minnow that he kept in a bait box:) But I suppose if there was one River that would catch in such cold water, it would be the Wye.

For you ,Stevo.

5266067266_b14f1fb488.jpg

Cracking Pike Chris well done mate.

Haven't got on the Wye yet this year but will be there before the season's out for sure.

Thanks guys,very kind of you to comment.

Was really chuffed to catch and share the moment with my chum ,Ryan Lippitt,and even more thrilled to get a great photo in good light and stunning backdrop,thanks Ryan.

As you know I love my photography,and this will be my abiding memory.

On a sadder note ,I got home muddy and tired,to read an email that a good freind and customer ,who was actually very fit and healthy had suddenly passed on unexpectandly ,
so this one's for you Nick .RIP ,mate.

So folks ,get out and enjoy it ,each and every trip.

Pons

Back