• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3 16lbers in one sitting.

i never had any doubt that they were 3 different fish as i know nigel well enough to hold his hand up if he thought they were`nt but by having the EA check them and coming to the same conclusion i think thats good enough for most people and an end to it, but as with all things in life there will always be doubters as there are people who dont believe in the moon landings or that elvis is really dead etc i could go on but whats the point, it was 3 different fish, it was an amazing catch both locally and nationally for barbel fishing.

I'll second that

dave, sssh dont tell anyone but elvis really lives in deepest cambridgeshire in the hamlet of grunty fen and goe`s under the name of albert posilthwaite, i got to know him well through our combined love for cross stich embroidery and flower arranging, something he`s become very good at since he gave up working in the chip shop.

i said what steve ? or is it the fact i`m a BS member ?

there may have been a few 16`s caught over the years but what makes this special is the fact that all 3 broke the current official nene barbel record AND they came from the nene, not a river you think of when your thinking of big barbel.
i am surprised at your comments steve on the BS fb post seeing that you are a moderator on BFW, i`d expect you to be backing a major barbel catch like nigels. { he`s since beaten it again}.

3x16's

Hi Guys,
Fantastic achievement Bryan....only sorry this remarkable capture has been sullied by the shocking news about Elvis...Gutted,
G.T.

i said what steve ? or is it the fact i`m a BS member ?

I've seen you make reference to the fact that you seem to think that been a BS member somehow effects on your postings on BFW....
I don't quite figure Mark!!!!!

Trust me, been a BS member has no relevance what so ever to you or anyone else posting on BFW, unless you do as others did, and overstep the mark....
Every poster is taken on their merit.

Your as welcome as anyone else on here.
I personally think its a shame that certain prevalent BS members can no longer post on BFW, but I fully understand Andy Frances's reasons.
The BS does seem to bring an awful lot of baggage with it.....

The comment I was referring to, was the 'sour grapes bunch' in reply to Jerry Gleason on FB.

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, hence the smiley faces afterwards, but it does surprise me that BFW can come in for a lot of stick from certain 'societies' yet, those very same members are happy to 'use' BFW to advertise or promote certain things, when it suits them.....

At the end of the day, we all post on here thanks to Andy Frances, and I personally think it smacks of double standards to criticise BFW and its posters on one site, then go onto that very same site and ask for help or to advertise....

Just my opinion of course....

Steve

i am surprised at your comments steve on the BS fb post seeing that you are a moderator on BFW, i`d expect you to be backing a major barbel catch like nigels. { he`s since beaten it again}.

To be honest, I tend to go around in my own little bubble Mark, and a capture from a river I don't fish has very little bearing on me or my fishing.

I've already congratulated the captor, so job done.

Not sure what me been a moderator on BFW has to do with anything?
Please don't mistake my posting as the thoughts of BFW.
I am posting as me, not as a representative of BFW.

Personally, Barbel only figure a little in my fishing these days.
I've discovered that there is so much more out there to target, that I spend only a fraction of the time I use to, targeting Barbel, yet I still seem to be able to catch plenty, and of a decent size too.......

Give me a day afloat on my boat after Pike or Zander, or a night on an old estate lake after eels any day.....

Steve

Well... I'm Gutted. I don't have a single piece of the tackle in the Top Gear sections in the AT awards lists.

All that money i have wasted.....
Graham

Well... I'm Gutted. I don't have a single piece of the tackle in the Top Gear sections in the AT awards lists.

All that money i have wasted.....
Graham

:D Nor me........

I Wont be voting but if I did, without knocking this achievement, I think the brace of 9Lb eels would just edge it for me.

:D Nor me........

I Wont be voting but if I did, without knocking this achievement, I think the brace of 9Lb eels would just edge it for me.

But...you have both wasted money by buying the offending comic, whereas I have not. Of course it will not have escaped your notice that by adopting this morally superior stance....I am now left with no way of discovering whether any of my tackle is on said list.

Of course....I am not in any way bothered by this position I find myself in, far from it.

Could you put up the list for me, pretty please :eek:

WHAT?

Cheers, Dave :D

Dear Dave. I have not bought a comic for about 15 years. The list is in the link in the posts above. see

Originally Posted by Mark P Smith
nigels catch is short listed for the catch of the year award in the angling times online awards so get voting !Angling Times Awards 2012
Please pay attention.:p:D

I have voted for the Nige's Nene Barbel. Magnificent achievement.

Dear Dave. I have not bought a comic for about 15 years. The list is in the link in the posts above. see

Originally Posted by Mark P Smith
nigels catch is short listed for the catch of the year award in the angling times online awards so get voting !Angling Times Awards 2012
Please pay attention.:p:D

I have voted for the Nige's Nene Barbel. Magnificent achievement.

My sentiments exactly Graham (the last bit :D:D)

Cheers, Dave.

I knew Graham, I knew.....just checking....

But damn....I don't have a single item either :eek: (I am only guessing of course....I didn't look....cough)

I knew there had to be a reason for my not catching recently. At first I put it down to the fact that I haven't been fishing....but now I know the awful truth :(

However, Christmas is coming, so hopefully I will soon be the proud owner of a fully accredited bit of kit. Of course it may only be a packet of the hooks on the list...I aint made of money! But the rest of the kit shouldn't matter...so long as I have one item with credentials like that, I can't fail.

I am Sooo looking forward to owning my new hook :)

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
well there you go,
if you think nigels catch is worthy of the award then vote for it
but if you dont then dont vote for it,
simples !.

I don't buy mags /weeklies any more so not up on current catches but if someone has caught a brace of 9lb Eels then thats not just the catch of the season its one of the catches of the century !

Back