• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3 16lbers in one sitting.

You're more or less spot on Paul,excellent post mate.

Nigel started this thread having just made an almost unbelievable catch of fish, unfortunately from virtually square one he was having it publically pulled apart and disected for whatever motives i neither know nor care, a few polite p.ms could surely have sufficed and then this fiasco would have been avoided ?

In my opinion, Simon is making a very valid point here when he suggests that this whole thing would have been better done via PM. I mentioned earlier that I thought Ray had taken on a very difficult job here, and the questions he asked were simply part of his efforts to do that job. I most certainly do not believe for one second that any ulterior motives were involved...BUT...the way he couched those questions was lacking in diplomacy, to say the least. How much better it would have been then if at least the beginnings of these investigations were done in private, the way Simon suggests. A definite 'must do' to avoid any repeat fiascos in the future I would have thought?

Cheers, Dave.

David.
I agree 100 percent with your view and Simons earlier comment.

I think Ray you have confused your Barbel records remit with the professional etiquette required.

And as for the comment of ignorant bliss earlier, I also don't want or need to analyse individual captures. Thats my choice and is as valid as those that choose to go into detail.

An Amazing catch that needs to be recognised as such. Right time, right method, right angler.

Well Done Nigel.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting those photos up Andrew. I would imagine 7 miles and a few weirs is nothing to a big barbel like that.

Thats good news for the Nene, the big fish are growing on well.

In my opinion, Simon is making a very valid point here when he suggests that this whole thing would have been better done via PM. I mentioned earlier that I thought Ray had taken on a very difficult job here, and the questions he asked were simply part of his efforts to do that job. I most certainly do not believe for one second that any ulterior motives were involved...BUT...the way he couched those questions was lacking in diplomacy, to say the least. How much better it would have been then if at least the beginnings of these investigations were done in private, the way Simon suggests. A definite 'must do' to avoid any repeat fiascos in the future I would have thought?

Cheers, Dave.

That's all very well if the recipients understand the meaning of PM, as in Private Message. My experience is that some don't.

Had an amazing short 2hr session after work this evening.Arrived at the river to find it just within its banks.Found a nice slack area and dropped a lump of meat in it.Ten minutes later,wollop,fish on.It went 16lb on the scales.Very happy bunny.There was still some daylight left so had another go in the same swim.Half an hour later,wollop.Another one in the net.This one went 16lb 8oz.Thought i was dreaming.And get this it happened again.Another 16lb 8oz barbel.
Has this happened to anyone else.And is there some kind of record this.
Thanks.A very happy Angler.

Congratulations. Great captures. Just shows how unpredictable fishing is :)

final words from graham elliott on this superb catch says it all.

right time, right method, right angler.

Mark… to keep you informed on the ID’s... After looking at your picture of the other side of your fish, to which I am grateful (on BFW Gallery), your 14.3 caught in September 2012, it 'is' one of Nigel's 3 x16's caught in November 2012...in my opinion of course.
Again. In my opinion... 2 of Nigel's 16's are the same fish, which I stated might be possible in the first place, before seeing the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
As regards Justin Simms Barbel of 16.8 caught in June 2012, that too is one of the 3x16’s caught by Nigel in November 2012…..in my opinion.
Best regards.

I travelled up to the said river last week and blanked ,but what a smashing day it was, barbel fishing I love it.

What :eek: You fished THE river, and not even ONE sixteen pounder :eek:

I imagine we are supposed to believe that......despite there being not one single witness :rolleyes:

Paaa...

Cheers, Dave

Mark… to keep you informed on the ID’s... After looking at your picture of the other side of your fish, to which I am grateful (on BFW Gallery), your 14.3 caught in September 2012, it 'is' one of Nigel's 3 x16's caught in November 2012...in my opinion of course.
Again. In my opinion... 2 of Nigel's 16's are the same fish, which I stated might be possible in the first place, before seeing the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
As regards Justin Simms Barbel of 16.8 caught in June 2012, that too is one of the 3x16’s caught by Nigel in November 2012…..in my opinion.
Best regards.

Just out of interest, back in the late 80's (River Lee) I had a 9lb fish 3 times in one session (12 hrs sesion). The fish was so unmistakable, had a bright red scar right accross it's righthand gill cover (from one side of gill to the other).

It weighed more on the second time I weighed it by a few onces !!
Did not weigh it on the third time. I seem to remember some of the hot swims would hold a lot of Barbel and I would perhaps (on a good day) catch upwards of a dozen fish. The next day you would catch the same fish again ! In the end, I moved to different swims. To be honest it was a bit silly and the novelty wore off.

Not the first time I (and mates) have had the same fish in the same session (Barbel/Carp and Tench).

Martin

I recently (in fact about 10 days ago) caught the same fish twice on the same day, it was about 7lb and I did not weight it!

Out of interest first time it was on a grain of Hemp and second time on Caster.

As for the 3 16's in a session, all I can say is bloody well done, in my experience catching one 16lb Barbel is far from easy so 3 in a session is about as remarkable an angling feat as I can imagine.

Enjoy the moment Mark, it might be a while before you top that one!!:D:D:D

Back