• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3 16lbers in one sitting.

FWIW, my opinion is that the three fish look different and I've said so on my blog where I posted all three pics together but I don't profess to be an expert. Anyway, not sure why it matters if any one of the fish could be a river record since there's no doubt about the weights claimed, again imo.

I don't think it really matters with regard to the quality of the catch, but understand the process of checking to see if the fish are one of the same, it really gives an idea of the stock that is available.
What I find fascinating is that three fish of that quality were in such a small area, whereby you could search a lifetime and not catch one of that stamp. Incredible.

Yes Dave i blanked ,mind you i did manage 5 in a day a few weeks back,and no i,m not putting photo,s up too see wether or not i had recaptures on the same day as i would,nt like to give venue and swim away :D:D:D.

Nice one Nigel! I've had 2 of those fish together along with a 12lb fish but a triptych like that!! Wow. Surprised no one has ever mentioned the other fish down the road from there. Hmm..

I've only heard rumors Justin.But there must be more about of that size or bigger.Its about putting in the leg work mate.Its more gratifying if you can find them yourself.

My friend Mark Smith(PDAA Baliff) has recieved an email from the EA regarding the recapture of one of these.The general consensus was they are different fish.
Thanks for all your positive feedback on this thread,and i hope this puts a few minds to rest.
Cheers Nige.

My friend Mark Smith(PDAA Baliff) has recieved an email from the EA regarding the recapture of one of these.The general consensus was they are different fish.
Thanks for all your positive feedback on this thread,and i hope this puts a few minds to rest.
Cheers Nige.

Interesting, but there is still some doubt in my mind Nigel, but then again without a look in the 'flesh' it will always be a open to debate I suppose.
However does not devalue the catch either way, still totally in awe of that magnificent session :)

Nigel, this has been said a number of times before, but I think is worth saying again. In terms of angling achievement, the only important fact is that you caught three barbel of 16 lbs or above in one short session...and that is the fact that will be remembered.

Whether or not any of those fish were repeat captures does not affect or detract from that achievement....in those terms that question is not relevant. It matters to those involved in trying to keep track of fish populations, but that is where it's relevance ends. It is a great shame that this fairly unimportant issue was brought up in such a way that it soured what should have bean a very enjoyable few days for you.

So...once again, a very big well done Nigel.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I for one was never in doubt Nigel, after looking at the photo's way back when this thread was in it's infancy.
I reckon Nigels keeping his cards close to his chest here ;) and why not :D and if i'm right it's not just an amazing achievement, it goes far beyond that !

I'm in awe of what you've achieved Nigel, an absolutley incredible session that surely must go down in the annals of Barbel fishing, and will be talked about for years to come.

Ian.

Interesting, but there is still some doubt in my mind Nigel, but then again without a look in the 'flesh' it will always be a open to debate I suppose. However does not devalue the catch either way, still totally in awe of that magnificent session :)

I have to agree with Neil on this. Having received copies of the 'original' full size pics from Nigel and Mark (to which I am grateful) which are in high resolution and much different in quality to the re-sized ones put up on BFW in low resolution.
I am still not sure regarding the bright second fish as the quality is not that good in both. The three pics in the low resolution that were first put up on BFW show somewhat different features/markings to the higher resolution originals that Mark and Nigel sent. Some ID marks I identified on one lot seem to disappear on the second lot; however, some are still there but not others. It must be something to do with the pixel size expanding and contracting in the re-sizing of the images, hence confusion in identifying conclusively of the said 2nd fish. Two of them are definitely different (one being the same fish captured by Justin back in June 2012 at 16lb 8oz, the same weight as Nigel's fish in November 2012, reported with pic in the Nene BFW river reports), https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/river-reports-2012-13/6003-river-nene-2.html but not sure of the other one, in my opinion.
Again, many thanks for Mark and Nigel’s co-operation in trying to ID the 3 fish.

....and even more congratulations to Nigel for catching yet another PB last week 23/11/12 of 17lb 8oz, as reported on the BS Facebook page back then. Well done Nigel.;)

Last edited:
Thanks ray.I.ll put up a picture shortly.again not that good a picture.I.v since checked the camera and lense was dirty and the settings had changed,so hopefully any future pictures will nice and clear.
just a quick question on measuring the length of a barbel.where do you measure it from.and to where?My new PB looked a lot longer than any of the 3 16.s on the mat and in the sling.

i never had any doubt that they were 3 different fish as i know nigel well enough to hold his hand up if he thought they were`nt but by having the EA check them and coming to the same conclusion i think thats good enough for most people and an end to it, but as with all things in life there will always be doubters as there are people who dont believe in the moon landings or that elvis is really dead etc i could go on but whats the point, it was 3 different fish, it was an amazing catch both locally and nationally for barbel fishing.
well done nigel and i feel very lucky to have known about it as it was happening. top man top angler.

Last edited:
Back